The Flexible Work Week

Here we go folks. Use this thread. If you have any comments, concerns, questions, or suggestions for the House’s Flexible Work Week Study Committee, put them here.

The Committee will be checking in and following up in the committee. As soon as I have a live link to the audio of the hearing, I’ll put it up.

1. Clayton says:

Sorry about the outage folks… We should be good to go now. The fine folks at A Small Orange (our webhost) are keeping an eye on the server now….

2. debbie0040 says:

The Georgia Driver’s License offices need to institute flexible work weeks so their offices can stay open until 7:00 p.m. like the Insurance Commissioner’s Office does. If the offices were opened more hours then the wait times would decrease. Why not do this for car tag renewals as well?

I went in for a renewal last Friday and it took an hour and 20 minutes just to renew it. I went in at lunch time and only 6 out of 18 windows were opened because of lunch breaks of employees. I would imagine lunch would be the busiest time, yet more than half the windows were closed.

3. I like the concept and the State should probably offer more flexible schedules to their employees. I just wonder how many people would participate? If you have kids with soccer games, home work etc… you need to work 9 – 5. How many State employees are in that situation?

4. griftdrift says:

Actually Buzz it can be a boon for those situations. Work 7-3 and pick your kids up from school, attend soccer practice, etc. When I worked at a place which had somewhat of a flex schedule it worked well. Family people came in early and left early. Degenerate single people like me came in late and stayed late.

5. memberg says:

The GenAss works 40 leg. days over however many calendar days they feel like. Why not let other state employees work their 40 hours whenever they want (within reason, of course)?

6. Rep. Mike Jacobs says:

The code section that creates the (steep) 12 day per month minimum for the teleworking tax credit is O.C.G.A. s 48-7-29.11. Study committee members will look into why that is, and consider reducing it.

Thanks to Peach Pundit for your participation today.

7. Doug Deal says:

I cannot get streaming audio or video where I am, but is this only being studied for the state, or is it being studied for private industry as well.

I wonder is tax incentives could be used to encourage private industry to not have everyone work 8:30-5:00.

One thing that would definitely help is having state agencies have at least one day (maybe 2 days, like Tuesday and Thursday) open late and close late.

8. YourFutureLeader says:

Unfortunately Ive been swamped at work and unable to listen. Does anybody know if the study committee talked about what the Georgia Senate is currently doing with its employees, allowing them to telework one day a week? If anybody has more info on that Id be interested to read more about it as a viable option.

9. CHelf says:

As for costs how much more does that require having the workforce scattered throughout the day on say utilities? Security? Infrastructure such as IT support staff? Etc.

10. debbie0040 says:

I went to the office on Beaver Ruin in Norcross. People were complaining about the windows being closed and were told it was lunch break

11. eehrhart says:

Thank you to those who participated and for those who were able to watch. I can imagine that it was not the most griping theatre you ever saw, but it was your government for better or worse.

I would be appreciative of any comments or suggestions as I am serious about the concept of “participatory governance”

Earl

12. Bill Simon says:

Dingle, you can always run for office…it’s an equal opportunity state to become Speaker of the House…or, in Earl’s case, Chief of the Un-Registered Lobbyists for The Facility Group. 😉