Wanna Contribute to Some Policy?

So here’s the deal. On Tuesday, October 18th, at 10:00 a.m., the House’s Study Committee on Flexible Work Weeks will again take up the issue.

Because Peach Pundit has such a diverse readership across the state, Representatives Earl Ehrhart, Jill Chambers, and Mike Jacobs want you guys to participate in the committee hearing.

Here’s how it’ll work:

There will be a live stream of the hearing.

We’ll have a post at the top of Peach Pundit at the same time.

You can listen to the live stream and post your questions, concerns, and suggestions in the Peach Pundit thread.

The Committee will review them throughout the course of the hearing.

I’ll be patrolling to delete abusive questions/comments and anything relating to the GREAT plan (not relevant to flexible work weeks).

The hearing is going to focus on local governments using flexible work weeks, as well as private sector businesses. Any suggestions you have or questions you have about implementation, etc. would be appreciated by the committee.

1. Chris says:

If the Speaker plans to eliminate property and income taxes, how will the state incentivize businesses to allow their employees to work flexible schedules?

2. joe says:

I see the plan as inherently flawed because of the time. At 10:00, I am at work. I do not post at work, and only read blogs during my lunch hour. I see it as unfair to my employer to give less than 8 hours work for 8 hours pay. I work on a computer all day, but we are not allowed to listen to streaming audio as the bandwidth required for hundreds to do that would just overwhelm the system.

I already work flexible hours. I have chosen to work 6:30 to 3:30 five days a week. Others work 9 hour days and then take a day off with pay every other week. Still others work 9-5. If there are enough people, flex weeks work. In a small workplace it becomes more difficult.

In keeping with the general theme, I dont see how Al Gore will support the GREAT plan.

3. eehrhart says:

I truly hope this becomes a trend for committees as it is a great way to take citizen input which might otherwise happen. For those who cannot always get to the capitol this will give them a chance to participate.

This will be a completely new format for us so please be patient as we try to make it work. I would hope the members could respond to some questions as well as relay statements from bloggers with respect to the issue. A virtual testimony if you will.

Thanks in advance for participating

4. DavidAtlanta says:

for people who can’t tune in live, you could arrange to put the webcast up on YouTube and have a thread open for people who have to tune in later.

5. Rick Day says:

This is going to work out great. Until the lege sees how easy it is for citizens to get involved in the political process, and yanks it.

::::coughLexis-Nexiscough:::::::::

6. YourFutureLeader says:

I think this is a great idea and I want to thank Rep. Ehrhardt, Chambers and Jacobs for allowing us to participate. I wish and hope that this type of citizen participation could become a normality for the House in the committee process as all hearings are already on a live feed through the Georgia Legislative Network if their could be a way implemented that citizens could propose potential questions I would be completely for that. Our legislature already does a good job asking questions of bills and the percussions of actions but having more minds work through issues would be a great thing. Ill definetly be tuning in, but is it on Tuesday or Thursday?

7. eehrhart says:

Rick I do hope that is not the case. We invested a great deal of money and effort in the video systems and infrastructure which opens up the committee process to the public such as the live feeds.

I for one am committed to this course and look forward to making this format work as well.

Any suggestions from PP contributers on format or logistics for this type of event would be much appreciated.

8. eehrhart says:

Generally public testimony in the committee process has been in a format like this:

Subject always to the Chair of the committee.

Not very high tech, but fairly successful over the years.

There is a sign up sheet passed around before the meeting and those wishing to speak sign in and are then heard from in order, many times alternating pro and con, as time permits.

Of course many times time constraints do intervene and tempers become short, but that is a practical reality. Perhaps this format may alleviate some of that, but again it may just add to the congestion, no pun really intended there as I want more input and hope this works.

9. Chris says:

Mr. Chairman and Reps. Chambers and Jacobs:

The issue I see with telecommuting and flex-working is one of Management Culture. I’ve observed two kinds of managers when it comes to this issue.

The first group of managers need to have their minions present in the office. I suspect these managers have low-self-worth, they feel if they aren’t actively managing people then they aren’t contributing to the company. They believe they are either redundant or can be easily replaced.

The second type of manager are the goals oriented manager. These managers don’t care how or when you do your job, so long as the job gets done with a quality of excellence.

How does this impact the work of your committee? Alas, I don’t know. The first type of manager is unlikely to accept any kind of government incentive. Their decision making is personal. They know they are unlikely to get as good a job, and therefore won’t risk the position they are in – no matter the tax breaks offered.

The second kind of manager doesn’t need any incentives as they would naturally allow flex working. It allows them to get the best talent.

My limited government nature would say “do nothing and let the market for talent drive out the bad businesses who hired the bad managers” but alas, there are some very critical jobs that require people going to a place of work. Doctors and nurses are one of them.

Alas, I was unable to work from home today so I won’t be able to tune into your webcast. Next to maybe water, traffic is going to be the biggest issue the state faces regarding growth. I’m glad to see you all are looking for solutions.

Chris Farris