I don’t believe Johnny. Do you?

Not hardly.

A recent change in Sen. Johnny Isakson’s staff has fueled speculation that the Republican lawmaker from Marietta, Ga., is setting up a potential gubernatorial run in 2010, when his Senate term expires.

But Sen. Isakson said not to read anything into his chief of staff’s transfer from his Senate office to an unspecified

1. Icarus says:

Yes, I do believe him.

Isakson is one of the most effective politicians in GA because, among other things, he’s quite pragmatic. A lot will happen between now and the 2010 election, including the 2008 election.

Is he strongly leaning to a run for Gov? Probably. That’s not the same as having decided.

2. Doug Deal says:

Icarus,

Effective does not mean good, and usually it is quite the opposite.

The anti-Ron Paul nuts (yes, both sides are nuts, including Erick) claim that he “hasn’t done anything in Congress but vote no”. To me, that is his selling point (trumped by his views on the war). If all of our Congressmen would “do nothing” to bring pork back home, our country would not be in it’s current trend of decline.

3. Icarus says:

Sometimes, Doug, that can be a good thing.

But Isakson’s effectiveness is in his ability to either get good legislation passed, or keep bad legislation from passing.

Case 1, Airline Pension relief. He was told by the dems that they had no interest in helping with another airline bailout. Bush told him not to bother, because he would veto.

There are tens of thousands of Delta retirees in GA dependent on their pension, plus the thousands of Delta employees that hope to one day have a pension. Had nothing been done, the pension plan would have been terminated, pension benefits drastically cut, and taxpayers would be left holding the bag.

Isakson worked on a plan that allowed the airlines to extend the time period to catch up on their underfunded obligations. If successful, the taxpayers fund nothing. If unsuccessful, the taxpayers have delayed a burden, but are not worse off. His plan received broad bipartisan support, and the blessing of a President that had previously threatened a veto.

Second issue, immigration. Isakson tried to get a good bill passed, against a lot of opposition from his base. When the dems added more loopholes than promised, and the president refused any promises to secure the border first, Isakson walked, and took the support needed to pass the bill with him.

4. GAWire says:

He hasn’t hinted and certainly hasn’t admitted anything, but … let’s just say the yard signs have already been ordered, Stoneridge already has a theme for the branding/website and consultants are already forming research. It’s a done deal.

5. Chris says:

Icarus – this is the feds.

He’ll try and get 200M for bass boat ramps on the Potomac.

And the Potomac has no Bass.

So they would be boat ramps to nowhere!

6. rugby_fan says:

Lest I be accused of threadjacking…

I don’t believe that Isakson has made up his mind yet.

Too much can happen in three years for any sane individual to make a campaign decision.

Although, I am somewhat afraid that this elongated presidential election will trickle down to other races, as we are seeing here. I can tolerate presidential races being several years long, but I am much less comfortable with gubernatorial and senate races going on for that amount of time.

7. new-guy says:

Granted, Johnny is a good Senator but even he cant get anything done while we’re in the minority. We’re likely going to have a net loss in the Senate by at least two seats so why should he remain in the Senate? To me, it doesnt make sense if he doesnt run for Governor.

8. cheapseats says:

Threadjack to correct seriously erroneous info posted:

The Potomac has plenty of monster bass. A round of the BASSMasters Tourney was held there this year and last year.

Google “capitol clash bass” for more info

Sorry for the ‘jack but you gotta know jack before you start posting.

9. debbie0040 says:

If Isakson said he hasn’t made his mind then I believe him. I think he is just testing the waters .

I would think it would hinge on the election next year and who wins.

10. CobbGOPer says:

I just wish the good Senator and his colleague Mr. Chambliss would try to do something about the fact that metro Atlanta is going to die of thirst because we have to give up water to useless mollusks in Florida on pain of ginormous fines from the imperial federal government.

11. StevePerkins says:

I gotta call B.S. on the “inside scoop” about the yard signs already having been ordered. Two to three years out?!? C’mon, print shops can turn that stuff out within days once the right time arrives… what point would signs serve right now other than sitting in storage gathering dust? Surely you weren’t being literal.

As for consultants thinkng about themes and color schemes, so what? The last time I visited a Young Republicans meeting, it was plainly obvious that 90% of the people in the room were already thinking about their future Presidential campaign slogans. I have zero doubt that Isakson is EXPLORING a run, but he’d be silly to have his mind made up one way or the other at this early stage.

Fun to gossip about though, of course.

12. Chris says:

Steve,

There were only two people who announced their Presidential Runs at the last YR meeting you were at.

I’m running in 2024 and Tommy is running in 2016.

And my slogan will be:

Farris’24 – The only candidate who can beat the Chelsea/Jenna ticket!

13. GAWire says:

Steve … I was using sarcasm to make a point that it’s basically a done deal. I have no insider information, regardless of being an insider. I am, though, familiar with what consultants do this far out …

That’s pretty funny what you said about the YR meeting. Seriously, talk to YR/CRs and you can practically see the image through their eyes of them making an acceptance speech at some GOP convention. They truly think that their existence matters.

14. StevePerkins says:

> There were only two people who announced their
    > Presidential Runs at the last YR meeting you
    > were at.

Yeah, but those were formal announcements. I’m still recruiting consultants for my exploratory committee.

15. GodHatesTrash says:

YR? Is that code for Bush Youth?

Shouldn’t you youngsters be in Iraq supporting the latest disaster the GOP has inflicted on our country?

16. candlerpark says:

Johnny might as well run for Gov- He has to have one of the GOP’s safest seats in the nation. Seriously, if the Democrats cannot even field a decent candidate to run against freakin’ Saxby then they are jusr irrelevant in this state, bless their hearts.

17. ConservativeCaucus says:

CobbGOPer,

I will engage in “rampant speculation” with you. Surely Gingrey, Price, and Westmoreland are considering it. I wouldn’t be surprised if Herman Cain gave it one more try. Some have even suggested that Perdue might hop in.

18. GodHatesTrash says:

Westmoreland’s is a heartwarming story of personal achievement.

Dumber than a bag of hammers, he becomes a United States Congressman and is under serious consideration for the United States Senate.

Albeit from Georgia, where the sun of intellect never shines…