Question of the Day

When does Paul Broun get sworn in? There’s a rumor circulating in Augusta that the reason is because he hasn’t actually won an election yet.

I distinctly remember there being an election, but you guys all know how seriously I treat rumors. This is serious.

Could this be why he has not been sworn in?

Consider this an open thread to resume the term limits debate and other issues on which we disagree.

[Editor’s Note: Thanks to the kind person from the House of Representatives IP address who posted the transcript proving Rep. Broun was sworn in. I appreciate it, but I didn’t see it happen, so I have no proof that you’re telling me the truth.

Seriously, though, this is kind of a

1. cheapseats says:

According to my sources in D.C., Congressman-elect Broun has not yet mastered the secret bathroom foot-tapping skills and cannot be sworn in until he has demonstrated mastery. Apparently, he has also been slow to catch onto the necessary protocol of soliciting sex from underage Congressional pages.

I am sure that he can find some mentors who will help him pass these important skills tests and be sworn in soon.

2. Icarus says:

Rugby earlier posed that the democrats might be worried that it will happen to them next.

I, of course, blame the democrats.

Think about it. Broun only got elected because he got 90% of the Athens vote. Democrats voted for him, though he was right of the other Republican. Why would democrats turn out and vote for the most conservative candidate? Because they won’t swear him in.

Genius.

3. May says:

SWEARING IN OF THE HONORABLE PAUL C. BROUN, OF GEORGIA, AS A MEMBER OF THE HOUSE — (House of Representatives – July 25, 2007)

[Page: H8466] GPO’s PDF

The SPEAKER. Will the Representative-elect and the Members of the Georgia delegation present themselves in the well.

Mr. BROUN appeared at the bar of the House and took the oath of office, as follows:

Do you solemnly swear or affirm that you will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that you will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that you take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that you will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which you are about to enter, so help you God.

The SPEAKER. Congratulations, you are now a Member of the 110th Congress.

4. Chris says:

I was at the Cannon Office Building last week and I could not find Dr. Broun’s name on the directory of Representatives.

I’m not sure he’s been sworn in.

5. Icarus says:

Oh come on. They should at least let the dude have an office while they try to figure out when and where to swear him in.

6. drjay says:

i heard a rumor that mac collins is refusing to concede this race as well–which might be holding up any potential swearing in ceremonies for any congressman-elects who might be waiting for such a ceremony to take place…

7. Erick says:

Drjay, I heard that rumor too. Wow. I can’t believe Collins would do that. Did you know that apparently Pelosi has put Broun’s office in the underground corridor between Canon and Longworth until this is resolved?!?!

8. Icarus says:

I was disturbed when I heard Mac Collins had refused to conceive. I’m glad that’s clarified. Though I can’t say refusing to concede makes any more sense.

9. Somebody emailed me the audio of Paul Broun being sworn in but you know how easy it is to fake something like that. You Tube has no video evidence and even if they did, they faked those moon landings so how easy would it be to fake a swearing in?

10. Carpe Forem says:

Chris is right. He is not listed (Registry was dated May 1st. However, he does have an office… in the Rayburn building. Knowing this doesn’t make it any easier to find him, due to the fact that it has the most confusing layout of all Federal buildings. One can go from the 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors without stairs, ramps or elevators. They say this is because it is on a hill… go figure (rooms must have been numbered by government committee).

11. Holly says:

On a “for real” note, let’s decide which Broun staffer sent the email, not realizing this is a site joke.

I vote for Aloysius, mostly because he has the best name.

12. Icarus says:

Erick,

Might want to check in on Rugby. His National Champion team just hit another snag.

Combine that with rumors that Paul Broun may have been sworn in without him, and I just don’t know how he’ll react.

But I’m guessing it won’t be pretty.

13. Doug Deal says:

Holly,

Of course.

Icarus,

It is a little known fact that FSU’s success is directly related to the superior mental performance of their players. FSU has an many McArhthur Scholars on it’s offensive line as the rest of Division I football has at every position, including coach.

Skoff at the academic history of Free Shoes University at your own peril.

14. rugby_fan says:

Doug:

I would like to point out that the political science department is indeed, one of the world’s finest.

Currently it is ranked 24th in the world, ahead of many institutes that are “more prestigious”.

This is just one example of how FSU is unconquered. In the classroom. In the game. In life.

15. Doug Deal says:

…in the courtroom, …in (front of) the bureau of pardon’s and appeals

16. Goldwater Conservative says:

How does that phrase go…

Paul Broun is only Pro-Life until Birth.

The voters of the 10th will not have an alternative to this come July. Fleming will undoubtedly win the primary, and while he will not be as much of a right-wing evangelical nut job…he still believes in the GOP standard of being pro-life, against the notion of reforming healthcare for the purposes of expanding its availability and will most likely attack NCLB and not do anything about it after he gets elected.