Carter: Cheney a “disaster”

Rest of world: Carter old, “almost irrelevant”.

From Reuters:

Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter on Wednesday denounced Vice President Dick Cheney as a “disaster” for the country and a “militant” who has had an excessive influence in setting foreign policy.Cheney has been on the wrong side of the debate on many issues, including an internal White House discussion over Syria in which the vice president is thought to be pushing a tough approach, Carter said.

1. GodHatesTrash says:

Carter will go down in history as a mediocre President. And George W. Bush is way below him, the absolute bottom of the barrel.

And let’s face it folks, Cheney is trash.

2. BubbaRich says:

ToddH:

You’ve got to admit that Cheney’s determination to derail the war against terror by turning it into a war against Saddam Hussein has been an unqualified success.

Cheney’s also been right about wanting to torture the people kidnapped and sold to US forces as “terrorists”. That has brought us tons of useful information, and it hasn’t harmed US interests or US ideals that “torture is bad” in the rest of the world. I’m sure that, even now, Cheney thinks it’s bad for Syria to torture anybody we don’t bring to them for torture.

He’s been most successful at creating a great character for Darrell Hammond to caricature, despite being in hiding most of his administration.

rugby_fan and Rogue might be right, though. Bush’s presidency will probably be compared often to Carter’s in the future. Probably to illustrate the difference between being in bad shape but having some morals, back in Carter’s day.

3. rugby_fan says:

Bubba:

I didn’t weigh in on W’s presidency here.

I do actually believe that Cheney’s role in the torture cases is so morally abhorrent that it is hard to comprehend.

And its almost as bad, if not worse, that conservatism has now deteriorated into choosing to play semantics rather than recognizing that human dignity has been violated and our moral superiority ceded in the name of security.

4. Icarus says:

Rugby,

Dude,

Cheney shot his best friend in the face, and his friend went on national TV and apologized. That’s Chuck Norris territory right there.

Cheney Rocks!

5. Icarus says:

the dude he shot = his friend.

SNL, Chuck Norris

Tomato, To-mah-toe.

Cheney Rocks!

(And don’t dare ask about his daughter, unless he brings her up first. You could be apologizing next.)

6. rugby_fan says:

I’d never thought of it that way…but now that you mention it…A Chuck/Cheney ticket would be unstoppable.

Oh, and that is Chuch/Cheney for President of the World.

Thanks for that insight Icarus, it lifts my spirits–they’ve been rather down lately. I have had several good leads on when Paul Broun will be sworn in put they turned up negative.

7. Rogue109 says:

ToddH:

Who said Cheney was a “success,” again? All I said was that he was not a disaster like Carter, Bubbarich and griftdrift believe. And if he believes offensive action should be taken against Syria, then he and I are in agreement.

8. souldrift says:

I’m with rugby_fan here, I agree more with Carter. And I think an accurate reading of the “Rest of the world” would show they’re more respecting of Carter than they are of Cheney, by far.

9. Rick Day says:

rugby_fan,

When you get to be a President, you can call a president irrelevant.

Not sure if it is because Carter said it, or if you feel it is just not the case with Cheney. I assume its more the former. Would you feel different if (insert your status-quol candidate) said the same words? Probably.

I’ve always like JC. He was the first President I voted for. As a 20 year old, I simply do not remember things being so horrible (other than what Republicans were screaming and scheming at the time). Yes I remember the Carter days as an adult. Do you?

So please, when the Republicans can cite a president (after Eisenhower) that was not an entrenched status-quo political insider (Kennedy, Johnson, Ford, Bush, Bush born ‘inside’) or an, um, actor/puppet for the status-quo (Reagan, Clinton), I’ll take a peanut man any day over a slick insider. I am sick of Slick Dick. Slick is methodically destroying our freedoms.

I have no love for the status-quo; the one that most of you all fawn over preserving.

10. rugby_fan says:

Rick:

I think Carter attempts to do good work and his heart is routinely in the right place.

I’ve often taken issue with Erick’s belief that Carter is totally useless citing the many wonderful things the Carter Center has done to improve the world.

However, I feel that any big spotlight efforts Carter is involved in, he often is heavy fisted in his efforts and creates more enemies than friends which makes him almost useless in big picture projects.

But, I do feel that he does a great deal of good work and does not get the credit he deserves.

11. TrueConservative says:

Carter destroyed Africa by allwing the commies to have it. He gave the Panama canal to China. Betrayed Taiwan and Israel. Put the commies in charge of Nicaragua. Embarassed us in Iran. Under his regime we had 20% inflation and 20% interest rates. Carter was the biggest disaster and traitor this nation has seen.

12. jm says:

TrueConservative: um. no. on all counts.

Case in point: Bob Casey. Pro life. Democrat. Governor of Pennsylvania. His son, Bob Junior. Pro life. Democrat. Current Senator from Pennsylvania.

But I digress and I’m sorry.
    Carter *is* relevant. He has come up s many times in the past several years in so many situations he is definitely a force on this earth. You know who Bush 41 called on more than any other former president when he needed advice? Not Reagan, not Nixon, not Ford. Carter. Even he knew.

13. GodHatesTrash says:

Actually, Carter made it possible for someone to be an evangelical Christian and not automatically be viewed by the rest of the world as a fanatical violent moron…

14. John Konop says:

Did Bush and Cheney tell the Truth?

Do You Think Bush used 9/11 tragedy as an excuse to take out Saddam and implement his nation building foreign policy? Was Bush not straight with the public when he ran on a foreign policy opposed to nation building? Did Cheney not tell the truth when he said 9/11 changed everything?

This is a great video of former Treasury Sectary under Bush, Paul O Neal’s view of the above questions.

15. David says:

Carter is a tired, bitter old man trying to stay relevant. Bush and Cheney will be remembered for trying to protect America from the radical Islam animals who desperately want to crush the Western way of life. We need to support Bush and Cheney, not get on the bandwagon of sheep who find it fashionable to criticize them. Bring back the draft. And dust off the plans to crush any other countries who support terrorism against the US or our allies. Thirty years of inaction and treating these savages as a law enforcement problem are over. Oh, by the way, as a preemptive strike on my part, I walk the walk. I’m currently serving overseas and trying my best to eliminate terrorists who threaten the Western way of life.

16. rightofcenter says:

I would suggest that Jimmy Carter has the biggest ego of any president, past or present, and that’s saying something. The first sign of his ego was that he thought he would make a good president……based on what? His less than mediocre run as governor? Even a Carter apologist would have a hard time coming up with any positives from his tenure as President. As ex-president, he has certainly done some good things. But in almost every case, he mostly succeeded in getting his name in the paper and “resurrecting” his name. The reason he stills writes incessantly (and lately, quite poorly) and pops off on every issue is that he still thinks he’s the smartest man alive. And he’s not.

17. rugby_fan says:

TrueConservative:

Using your logic, Reagan was an authoritarian dictator.

After all, he genuinely propped up and supported dictators throughout the world.

18. griftdrift says:

“Even a Carter apologist would have a hard time coming up with any positives from his tenure as President”

30 years of peace between Israel and Egypt.

19. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Carter destroyed Africa by allwing the commies to have it.
    Where are these commies? I don’t see them.

He gave the Panama canal to China.
    HUH?

Betrayed Taiwan and Israel.
    Agin, huh? If anything, we bribed Israel into accepting the Camp David Accords. It was a win-win situation for them, no more two-front Arab-Israeli Wars. Aske the Syrians how that worked out for them in 1982-83.

Put the commies in charge of Nicaragua.
    Of course, because Samoza was such a standup guy.

Embarassed us in Iran.
    Of course, because the Shah was such a standup guy.

Under his regime we had 20% inflation and 20% interest rates.
    Now that’s what I call an investment opportunity.

Carter was the biggest disaster and traitor this nation has seen.
    Um…yeah.

20. CobbGOPer says:

“30 years of peace between Israel and Egypt.”

For real? Then I wonder why the Israelis keep finding weapons smuggling tunnels from Egypt into Gaza…