Georgia vs. Tennessee

I’m gonna have a crummy Bible Study on Thursday night because we have one Tennessee fan in the mix, and he went to the game. What can be done. That’s a question a lot of folks are asking. Too soon, I suppose, to burn people in effigy, but still, Tennessee beat Georgia. Ugh.

1. debbie0040 says:

Tennessee’s Coach Fulmer was fighting for his job and Tennessee was up for the game.

It could be worse. Georgia could be in USC’s position . (Being number 1 and losing to a 41 point under dog)

I think that LSU will still be defeated this season, but watch out for South Carolina and Steve Spurrier.

Roll Tide!!!

2. Holly says:

Gah, Brian, that’s the truth. BC is the one to watch out for in the ACC. And Virginia’s a total surprise.

I used to cheer for USC whenever they played any team that wasn’t UGA. Now I cheer for any team playing against USC, no matter what. Steve Spurrier killed them for me. I was sorely disappointed in UK’s showing on Thursday night, perhaps even moreso than UGA’s performance on Saturday. Sigh.

3. Jace Walden says:

I am a huge UGA fan, but I have to ask this question:

What about Florida? After barely losing to the undisputed number one team in the nation, Florida drops out of the Top 10, meanwhile, the number 2 team in the country falls to an unranked awful Pac-10 opponent, but stays in the Top 10???

I know it probably has to do with number of losses, but Florida is playing far better football than the USC Trojans.

Also, Ohio State is currently the most overrated team. I’m tired of hearing the talking heads talk about their defense…anyone’s defense can be great against Akron and Purdue.

I know I’ll get some flack for this, but I think Hawaii and South Carolina are the two most underrated teams. True, Hawaii doesn’t have a schedule, but they are a well-coached team deserving of a Top 10 ranking. South Carolina has proven much much more than Ohio State and South Florida. Plus, Spurrier is one of the best coaches in college football.

It

4. Icarus says:

Well, it took a while, but Jace and I have finally found common ground.

Though it kills me as a Dawg to have to admit that a two-loss Florida team still deserves to be in the top five.

5. Jace Walden says:

Icarus,

I don’t remember us ever having an argument over anything…

I didn’t say that Florida belonged in the Top 5…they still lost to Auburn. I just have more of a problem with USC being ranked in the Top 10 and Florida being excluded from it.

6. Icarus says:

We don’t argue, you just don’t like it when I cut republicans slack when they do unrepublican, or at least non-conservative, things.

Florida will get back to the top five. Auburn isn’t as bad as they looked to start the season (getting to be an AU trademark), and they played Flordia at the top of their ability.

USC has been over rated forever, and the pollsters won’t give up on them as quick as they should, though I heard one talking head (Crazy Lou Holtz?) say Saturday night that their loss to Stanford was worse than Michigan losing to App State.

And I wish the BCS could force Notre Dame to join the Big 10, and then the Big 10 could rename themselves the more appropriate title of the Small Twelve.

7. CHelf says:

In honor of that game, I am playing Rocky Top in loop all week long. It’s great to finally get our ‘home field’ back after taking Athens as well. It feels odd saying this but Fulmer now seems to have Richt’s number.

8. Jace Walden says:

I wish the BCS had the ability to force Notre Dame into Division II. I talk about overrated teams a lot, and although I absolutely loathe Ohio State more than anyone, Notre Dame consistently been the most overrated team in the country for the past 4 years and it finally caught up with them.

Their thrashing of UCLA should give the guys over at ESPN who continually harp on how the “Pac-10 is just as stong as the SEC”, a good indication of where the Pac-10 really stands.

Good point about the Big 10…As a conference, it may have been the most overrated to begin the year…at least some of the Pac-10 teams are putting on a good show.

9. Holly says:

Word.

And newsflash to the guys at ESPN: The ACC would kick the Pac-10’s rear.

That said, I’d put either Mississippi team against any Pac-10 team and bet those SEC kids tromp all over them.

10. Icarus says:

With Holly’s ability to advocate for SEC football as well as she does for Republican candidates, I’m thinking if she ever bakes me those cookies I keep hearing about, I might have to propose.

11. rugby_fan says:

Icarus:

Florida will reach the top five, and FSU will then promptly defeat them in Gainesville after we have already defeated top 10 Virginia Tech and Boston College–both away–en route to an Allstate BCS National Championship.

12. Icarus says:

Good for you. I’ll try to catch up, but I doubt I’ll have enough to think that FSU will have another BCS title this year.

13. Holly says:

Icarus,

Apparently, my advocacy is good enough to get me ill mentions from my elected official at county executive board meetings.

Score!

(Really, I was just looking for a way to let Paul Broun know I heard about his comments this evening. I’m so pleased I was deemed that important, ha ha!)

14. Icarus says:

1) How many points is that worth? (I’m thinking a lot,)

2) County executive board (bored) meetings are for people who don’t know where a good dollar draft night is being held, and

3) If you have some kind of bizarre communication link with Congressman in Waiting Broun, could you please find out when and where we can see him sworn in, and tell Rugby. He’s so obsessed with this that he’s become dillusional, and thinks that Florida State is fielding a team from the early ’90s.

(and a 4th P.S.; of course you’re that important. We’ve all got your back here, even the ITP “progressives”)

15. Holly says:

Icarus,

1. Nah, probably not.

2. Alas, that’s true.

3. Poor Rugby. I’m worried about how he’ll be after FSU plays BC. I don’t think he understands what they’re like. It’s like facing a room of pit bulls who haven’t been fed in a month. Normal men do not have a fighting chance.

4. Oh, I know, and I’m not worried. Honestly, it’s funny, but I wanted him to know I heard!

16. rugby_fan says:

Icarus:

FSU won a national championship in 1999. In 2000, we were still excellent.

Holly:

Rarely do I go against the Pope, but FSU v BC is one instance where I will.

17. Doug Deal says:

How could it be a bad day for anyone when College’s perennially over-ranked and over-hyped team, Southern Cal lost to a 41 point underdog?

Fans of every other team should rejoice.

18. drjay says:

i thougth fla state had been planning to phase out academics so they could concentrate on returning to their football glory days anyway….

19. rugby_fan says:

You are correct Doc.

Who needs to worry about creating the first medical school in America in 50 years?

Or leading the world in electromagnetic research.

Or doing ground breaking meteorological research.

Or have four Fullbright Professors.

Or have the highest percentage of students of students passing the bar for all colleges and universites in Florida.

Or earn more research money than MIT, Harvard, University of California Systems, Michigan, and Cal Tech combined.

The fact of the matter is that academics are as much a part of life at FSU as the gridiron.

FSU is truly unconquered in the classroom. In the game. In life.

20. dingleberry says:

Rugby_Fan,

What do you call a FSU football player wearing a suit and tie?

The defendant.

If an FSU Quarterback, an FSU Wide Receiver, and an FSU Linebacker are in a car together, who is driving?

The cop.

What’s the difference between the FSU Football Team and Loch Ness Monster?

There are actually signs that the Loch Ness Monster actually exists.

How many FSU freshmen does it take to change a lightbuld?

None, that’s a sophomore course.

21. dingleberry says:

Well, Rugby, I meant which ever one has the three word, “Florida”, “State” and “University” back to back in some manner.

The one where the Seminole is the mascot.

22. Icarus says:

Don’t you remember when a few years ago, they tried to wake up that FSU quarterback to make him go take exams, or some distraction like that. That cost FSU the Sugar Bowl. To UGA, of all teams. FSU can’t continue to let class get in the way of a good football team.

23. rugby_fan says:

Oh well if it is from “America’s finest sports news source”, how can I disagree? I can’t is the answer.

Icarus, I have a feeling Rix would have lost the game for FSU even if he had taken his religious studies exam, and parked in a non handicapped parking space.

24. Icarus says:

I’d forgotten about the whole hadicapped parking problem. That guy was a complete toolbox.

But then again, we once had Quincy Carter.