1. Federalist says:

Or paper ballots. I know I am old, but voting machines can be manipulated and that is not fair. Why would Handel not want a second line of accountability? Like a paper receipt…hmmm.

2. ugavi says:

Federalist – remember hanging chads – they were paper. Handel supports paper trails.

Here’s a quote from the article:

“Ms. Handel acknowledged that electronic machines eventually should have a voter-verified paper audit trail, or V-PAT”

Any proof of a voter machine being manipulated in an election? Besides, thank Cathy Cox and Roy Barnes for the machines – Handel inherited them.

griftdrift,
    How does open source help?

3. Chris says:

Grift – ok, but how do we then make sure that the source that was inspected is the same source that generated the object code that is on the actual machine on election day?

The only way to go is with a voter verified paper trail (ie the voter can see the votes) combined with a statistically significant random audit of precincts across the state to make sure the electronic count is the same as the paper count. This needs to be done regardless of the margin of victory.

4. Chris says:

Secretary Handel also mentioned (at the Gwinnett BBQ this weekend) that the machines Congress wants replaced in 2008 will again have to be replaced in 2012. Alas I didn’t catch why.

5. StevePerkins says:

Does anyone seriously believe that the government WANTS to restore verifiable voting? The “technical impossibility” of installing receipt printeris within one election cycle seem plainly bogus… since we JUST GOT FINISHED switching all our equipment out in one election cycle for 2004!

The financial claims don’t fly with me either. $100 million? You’re telling me that the credibility of our nations electoral system swings on the amount of money spent LITERALLY every 24 hours that we’re in Iraq? This is one of the rare occasions when I would have no complaint with the government spending at all.

I’m not a conspiracy theorist. However, I can’t HELP but raise eyebrows at the poo-poo’ing and reluctance from elected officials on an issue that is such an obvious no-brainer. I also can’t for the life of my understand why Erick or anyone else at the individual voter level would defend this nonsense (well, in Erick’s case I might understand it as a way to stir the pot a bit).

6. ugavi says:

Chris,
    I was in Cobb a few weeks ago and heard Handel speak. She indicated that the 2008 standards and 2012 standards are both different. There are currently no machines on the market today that meet both standards.

That is why the estimated price tag is $100m. We would have to purchase two sets of machines in 4 years.

7. Harry says:

That’s disgusting.

If they used electronic voting machines, at least the Texas legislators would have to insert their personal voting card before the vote could be recorded.

8. northside elephant says:

Karen Handel is trying to ensure that the right fix is implemented in the right way. I trust her to look out for our rights as voters and to protect the integrity of the system.

The Sec of State’s office deserves a lot of credit for implementing the new photo ID rules in recent elections. There were no complaints and everything went smoothly.