So Freaking Cool

I had dinner with Clarence Thomas tonight. What an amazing guy. And he has a great sense of humor. We laughed about George football.

Someone asked him what he thought about Joe Biden saying that after 16 years Biden was still glad he voted against Clarence Thomas. Thomas replied,

1. Archibald Bulloch says:

I disagree with him on just about everything.

But, the one time I got to meet him I found him to be a very nice, easygoing guy. He certainly was not arrogant.

2. Federalist says:

He is the most predictable justice on the bench. He cares nothing for precedent,…only his ideology.

3. atlantaman says:

I love this exchange in the 60 Minutes interview. To me it defines the “feel good” liberals who are actually the first ones to box African Americans into a simplitic stereotype a la John Edwards and his “were going to run out of black males when they are all dead or in prison” comment:

How much of his life is determined by his race?

“Oh, goodness. I don’t know. I

4. That’s absolutely awesome – you’re my hero Erick. I didn’t see 60 Minutes but I heard most of Rush’s interview of Justice Thomas today. I’ve got to clear of my nightstand by finishing a few other books, but I’ll read Thomas’ book soon.

5. Doug Deal says:

Federalist,

If you call Thomas predictable, what about your hero’s on the left? At least Thomas ends up on different sides from Scalia, Roberts and Alito, and when he is, he is usually right.

That can’t be said of the 4 brain dead monolithic liberals.

6. Decaturguy says:

First of all, I would take the opportunity to have dinner with a Supreme Court Justice, even if it was someone as poor as Clarence Thomas. Isn’t he the essence of the partisan, ideologically driven Judge that conservatives so decry when they talk about “liberal judges.” Not only that, the guy never even asks a question from the bench.

7. Romegaguy says:

George football? I thought he was a cheerleader…

I hope you had them pour your coke into a glass and not leave it in the can at the restaurant. You never know what you will find on a coke can

8. Doug Deal says:

Decatur,

Just because the know-it-all leftists can never shut their mouths, doesn’t mean that Thomas does not ask questions. I hope you realize that the real work on the court takes place outside the courtroom.

9. YourFutureLeader says:

Justice Thomas very elequently illustrates my view on abortion so well;
    Thomas believes the real issue being fought over during his confirmation was all but unspoken. “The issue was abortion. That’s the issue today,” Thomas says. “That was the elephant in the room.”

“In what sense?” Kroft asks.

“That was it. That’s the issue. That is the issue that people apparently are so upset about. That you determine the composition of your Supreme Court and your entire federal judiciary, it seems now,” Thomas says.

“Your opponents were afraid that you might at some point rule against or help overturn Roe V. Wade?” Kroft asks.

“I have no idea what they thought. But they knew one thing. They weren’t in charge of me. So, I wasn’t gonna do their bidding,” Thomas says.

Thomas believes the issue of abortion is not addressed in the Constitution and should be left to the states to decide. If that were to become the majority opinion on the court, abortion could be outlawed in 40 percent of the country.

“One of the most surprising things in the book, in it, you say, ‘Like most Americans, I had mixed emotions about abortion. I wasn’t comfortable telling others what to do in that difficult circumstance,'” Kroft remarks.

“There are tough decisions we have to make in life. And of course, we all feel about that. People think that because you might agree or disagree with them on certain things, that you don’t have that concern about people who are left with tough choices. You do have that concern. But none of that had anything to do with what’s in the Constitution. The point is simply this. The Constitution is what matters. Not my personal views, whatever they may be. And I don’t go around expressing them on that issue,” Thomas says.
    ———-
    I think he is one of the better justices imo

10. ChuckEaton says:

“Not only that, the guy never even asks a question from the bench.”

That’s a simplistic comment that is often repeated about Thomas. Comparing Thomas to previous Justices such as Marshall, it’s quite normal for some Justices to simply listen as both parties present their case. It’s just a matter of personal style, and being a good listener is not so bad.

11. Doug Deal says:

YFL, good post. He articulates my view as well.

The nutjobs on both sides have destroyed our country over this issue. It should not be about enforcing our will over others using the power and might of the Federal government, it should be about the Constitution.

In my view, the main reason why abortion is so readily available today is not because of the work of NARAL or any other pro-abortion group, it is because the extremist purity test mentality of the anti-abortion people, who would rather lose everything than release their death grip on their unwinnable solutions.

12. ChuckEaton says:

Predictability is not necessarily a negative. If you’re a strict Constitutionalist then most of your decisions ought to be predictable. If you have more of a “Philosopher King” mentality and the Constitution is whatever you feel like it being, then your decisions would be less predictable.