Give Newt $30 million and he’ll run.

Newt to start raising Presidential cash:

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich said Sunday that he’ll begin raising money for a presidential campaign next Monday and, if he can raise pledges for $30 million over the next three weeks, he’ll join the Republican race for president.

“I think the odds are very high, if we ended up with that level of pledges

1. Federalist says:

Well…looks like Newt will not be running. Finally some great news. There is no way a partisan hack that has been out of the game as long as he has, and has his record, will be able to get $10million in pledges in three weeks. Hell Thompson hardly got $5 million in a month.

2. Donkey Kong says:

Federalist,

That’s because Thompson is a wee bit boring.

And out of the game? He is the leading ideas man in conservative politics. His contacts dwarf that of Fred’s.

I am personally pledging $250 as long as I can pay over the summer when I actually have an income.

3. Donkey Kong says:

In fact, a friend and I are making it a goal to put together $2,300 in pledges from among our peers over the next month.

4. Federalist says:

realistically, he will not go at it until he has $50million in pledges…considering the fact that people that pledge money usually forget how much they pledged and give less. You can generally expect to receive a little more than half of all pledges made. You would be suprised how many people are “having babies” and “re-doing their homes” when a friend or friend of a friend is running for office. On top of that the primary elections are only a few months away. If Newt stands any chance of succeeding he will need to raise $30 million a month from here on out…and that will not happen. $25million in a quarter is the fundraising record…newt is not in office, sure he has contacts but that will not be enough,…and he is newt gingrich. All of the parties that have an interest in the outcome of the elections have already placed their bets, and any and all PAC are business minded…newt can not and will not win…so why bother contributing when you can save that money for the 527s that are going to pop up in march? fact is, newt has a long and unpleasant record. Sure FT is boring…but he has hollywood at his back. Donkey Kong, though noble it is to contribute to a pol. camp., Newt will not be benefiting from $250 contributions at this point. He will need every billionaire and millionaire republican to pledge a maximum gift if he will raise enough funds to beat Ron Paul. I seriously think Newt will take the money to increase his own political influence. He can put the money into a different fed. account and give it to whoever he wants…you know, just like Sonny Perdue did with his leftover campaign funds.

5. Bill Simon says:

I don’t recall Newt being Mr. “Pro-Life.” I’m sure he’ll come all out and rattle off how pro-life he is after I say this…as will some of his minions in Gwinnett and Cobb County.

Newt flamed-out in 1999. He is someone whom I am unable to put any trust in.

6. Donkey Kong says:

Yes, because Bill, after all, all announced Republican candidates are trustworthy… *cough*… wait, is there even one we can trust?

Ok, there is one. We can trust Ron Paul. Granted, he’ll ruin the American economy and allow terrorists safe-havens such as Iraq, but hey at least we can trust him.

7. debbie0040 says:

Newt will not be able to raise even close to 30 million. Randy Evans is good but he can’t pull off a miracle.

Newt has great ideas and would be a great policy advisor . A lot of women don’t like Newt because of his zipper problem…

Fred in 08

8. Donkey Kong says:

Debbie,

I don’t think Newt would have used 30mm as a target point unless he thinks its actually achievable.

Also, a lot of women supposedly don’t like Rudy, yet he remains preeminent in the polls. Thompson, I believe, is on his second wife, so is McCain. So unless you’re looking at Mitt, I don’t see that argument as very valid.

Newt is the Barry Goldwater of today. Honestly, are there any other, *any* other, politicians that are thinking up real solutions to our problems? Ron Paul might be the only other, and his “solutions” will just exacerbate our problems. It’s time we elect someone that is an ideas man into office. Reagan was. Goldwater was. And look at the impact those two had on the movement.

9. Donkey Kong says:

Debbie, as a former Reedite, you should appreciate the vigor and fighting spirit of Newt. Do you actually think Fred has any fight in him? If he does, we have yet to see it.

10. Federalist says:

Donkey,
    How dare you insult Barry Goldwater by comparing him to Newt. You are sick to offend a deceased man in that manner. Newt is a snake in the grass. He would raise the money just to wave in your face and say…”No, I am goin to give it to someone you were not smart enough to contribute to” He knows nothing about good policy. He does not care about people. I can imagine it now…if Newt were the president the U.S. would definitely turn out just like the U.K. in “The Children of Men.” We would need trasport papers, we would probably even have micro-chips implanted in our brain stems so that his regime could know where everyone is at any given time. He is a sick individual. Don’t believe me? He tried to avenge Nixon’s resignation by impeaching a president for an “extra-marital” affair…while he himself (newt) was having one as well.

11. Donkey Kong says:

Federalist,

I am thankful Newt does not have supporters such as yourself; you obviously have not read his books and your spiteful spew revokes the little respect I had for you.

12. Federalist says:

DK,
    I am thankful that we do not have morons like you in politics. Newt wrote books to make money. He made lectures…then funneled the profits through a NPO to evade taxes…to make money. Newt does not have academics supporting him, because when it comes to politics,…he turns his back on intelligence.

13. Federalist says:

That is what bothers me most about newt. He knows what is best,…but he continuously runs on a platform to get elected and reelected, but he refuses to do what is necessary.

14. ConservativeCaucus says:

It would be a fun exercise to think about each of the candidates and how they would do with $30 Million.

We already know what Giuliani, McCain, and Romney would do with it… but imagine each of the others and how far $30 million would get them.

Tancredo
    Paul
    Brownback
    Huckabee
    Thompson
    Hunter

15. debbie0040 says:

I like Newt and don’t have a problem with him. I just prefer Fred because I believe he is the best choice and can win.

Fred is on his second marriage, but he did not leave his wife for another woman. In fact, Fred’s ex wife and ex girlfriends have gone on record as saying they will be on the campaign trail with him.

Contrast that with Marianne Gingrich or Rudy’s ex wife.

I am just stating what I have heard from conservative women. When I worked the Fred booth at the GA GOP Convention in May, numerous women asked me if Fred had a zipper problem like some of the other candidates.

I would be suprised if Newt raises 30 million in a few weeks.

16. debbie0040 says:

As far as agreeing to run if he can raise 30 mil, I think Newt threw the gauntlet down. I am sure he has had many people asking him to run so he is asking them to put their money where their mouth is so to speak.

17. gwinnettman says:

While I agree that the current group of contenders is definitely lacking, this won’t make a difference in the long run. This is President Clinton’s election to lose. Her taking office on January 20, 2009 is inevitable. Won’t it be fun to watch Sean Hannity’s head explode live on Fox “News”? Besides, after the past almost 7 years of the worst president in American history, how much worse could it get?

18. shmizerbro says:

Newt did have an affair, and one does want a President that takes oaths seriously. I don’t hold it against him for a few reasons. He appologized for it instead of trying to make excuses. He only made the mistake once, showing that he learned his lesson. People that are in general very wise and moral become even more wise and moral after making such large mistakes; I think he feels deep regret about that mistake and will remember should temptation to go against his morals ever arise again. I’m not saying people that make the same mistake more than once aren’t credible, but I know infidelity isn’t a habbit with Newt like it is with many, many, many people, Bill Clinton, namely, who is not only a proven fornicator, but also a proven liar about his fornication.

And lastly, it’s a serious, serious crime to lie under oath, as President Clinton did about his affair with Lewinsky. Any…Any Speaker of the House, Democrat or Republican, would not be doing their job if they did not impeach Clinton. Newt didn’t impeach him for having an affair. Newt impeached him for lying under oath about said affair. If Newt didn’t begin impeachment hearings HE would have been asked resign by all of his constituents for showing a refusal to perform the sworn obligations of Speaker of the House.