1. GodHatesTrash says:

Perhaps Newt could borrow John Kennedy Toole’s great book title – “A Confederacy of Dunces” for his Galleria gathering of the great conservative mind(less) of metro Atlanta.

There probably hasn’t been as big a gathering of self-absorbed obnoxious buffoons in Georgia since the last Stone Mountain cross-burning, except perhaps the Southern Baptist conventions…

2. rugby_fan says:

RJ:

If you and the group are genuinely attempting “to move beyond politics as usual”, why are there no Democrats scheduled to appear?

Do you realize you have a pretty big image problem to overcome in your quest if you make it seem like this is actually a GOP movement?

Are you actually wanting to reach out to anyone other than Republicans?

3. SpaceyG says:

Ewwwww Rugby, that is a most-excellent comment to ponder. Am going to do that now.

Somewhat later I’ve come up with this “solution”: In an effort to stop the pure partisan “outreach” all these dudes are so famous for, I’m offering space on my camera/camera bag/head (to place a cap on) for sponsorship. Just pretend my gear is like a NASCAR car, and you can get yourself some “other side” time with your logo there. Unlike NASCAR sponsorship, my gear comes with affordable pricing.

4. RJ Briscione says:

Rugby et al,
    I hope you’ve had the opportunity to look at the workshops on Saturday the 29th, which is really what Solutions Day is all about.
    (Go to http://www.americansolutions.com/ and click on “Solutions Day Workshops” on the right side of the page.)

Among the workshop moderators who have invested their time and energy in supporting American Solutions are:

-Former Colorado Governor and CHAIRMAN of The DNC, Roy Romer, moderating a workshop on America’s Public Schools. Gov. Romer also served as Superintendent of the Los Angeles County Unified School District, and as vice-chair of the Democratic Leadership Council.

-Dr. Elaine Kamarck, currently a lecturer at Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government, who served in the Clinton/Gore White House and chaired that administration’s National Performance Review, commonly referred to as “reinventing government.” Dr. Kamarck will be moderating a workshop entitled “The End of Government…As We Know It” on how government bureaucracy can be updated to deal with the evolving demands of the 21st Century.

-Several other moderators who hold no partisian title as either Republicans or Democrats, just as people who are interested in providing Solutions, such as:
    -The Director of the CDC
    -The President of the Palm Beach Zoo, and
    -The President of the Sand County Foundation, a non-profit organization that works with land owners to improve natural habitats on their land.

5. Mike Hauncho says:

Rugby,
    If the Dems want to participate I bet they could as long as it followed the message of American Solutions. And if you think that it is partisian then come up with your own version. Stop complainig and take action. All you do on this site is complain.

6. Federalist says:

Wow, what a list of guests…Hannity, Boortz, Perdue…and who “american solutions” wouldn’t be non partisan!

7. rugby_fan says:

And RJ I should say I wasn’t expecting a response so you’ve at least improved my impression of the organization.

See that Mike, I don’t believe that was a complaint!

8. shep1975 says:

Just for the record, and I’m sure he’d be the first to point this out if asked since he often does so on his radio show, Neal Boortz is not a Republican.

SpaceyG: don’t forget to come by Jocks and Jills afterward.

9. Jason Pye says:

Neal Boortz is not a Republican.

Tell a Libertarian that…you’ll probably get laughed at.

I don’t mean that in a negative way towards you, Shep. That is just a fact.

10. Carpe Forem says:

This whole thing smells of “How can we make BIG government BIGGER?” I don’t see any true fiscal conservative listed. Since when did grass roots start from the top-down. I heard Newt’s speech from Iowa and all he talked about was coming up with a way to track aliens and immigrants the way FedEx track packages, which seems like a slippery slope towards electronic papers for everyone.

Other than Boortz, are any real libertarians part of any of the work shops?

11. Carpe Forem says:

When will people realize that the solution to government bureaucracy is not more government bureaucracy.
    Are there any work shops on how to shrink the size of government? Are there any on how to get our elected officials to only pass laws within the frame work of the constitution? Are there any to help us figure out a way to roll back large corporate protectionist regulations? Are there any to promote lowering taxes not just replacing our current tax system with another revenue neutral system?

As you can see, I’m very skeptical of this American Solutions Day. Republicans had a majority in all branches of government and did nothing but grow the size and scope of the federal government. I will never support anyone ever again unless they promote these simple ideals: Smaller government, lower taxes, less spending and more freedom.