1. griftdrift says:

The pagans have a point about alcohol sales.

Of course that’s easily solved by repealing the idiotic laws about not being able to sell alcohol within so many feet of a house of worship.

2. BlackfinDay says:

And you know, Jefferson and Jackson County aren’t exactly a hotbed of pagan activity. They’ve got a really small downtown there, and they’ve been trying to encourage retail and restaurants, etc. to stay downtown instead of sprawling out towards 85.

Of course, I’m not sure you can actually zone OUT churches, legally….

3. Doug Deal says:

Black,

I would love to see the results of a legal challenge, but by guess would be that since it restricts all churches, and not just one type or say, preventing Saturday services, it is applied equally and would probably withstand scrutiny.

But it makes one wonder, what’s next? No church can be built within 500 years of a gun?

4. StevePerkins says:

Erick’s just trying to stir up the dumb yokels to get a few cheap hits to the website (I’m surprised that GodHatesTrash hasn’t make an appearance in this thread yet). I don’t see anti-religious sentiment behind this move, I instead see concern over parking issues. That said, I think the city council could have come up with a less draconian solution… seeing as how the overwhelming majority of church traffic flows on the weekends rather than during business hours.

5. BlackfinDay says:

Well I think the other concern was revealed in the last three paragraphs:
    Earlier this summer, however, the city received a proposal from one local church to purchase and renovate an entire building of downtown storefronts and offices at 42 Public Square.

The cost of renovating the building to meet safety requirements for a building used as an assembly hall proved to be too expensive, City Manager John Ward said.

The project would have occupied one-quarter of the retail space on the square, Ward said.

If something like that happend, you end up wiping out a huge chunk of your limited downtown storefront space with a property used twice a week (assuming Wed and Sunday)…

And Doug, I don’t know whether the legal challenge will be successful or not, but I’m sure it’ll be filed.

6. Paul from Jefferson says:

I live and vote in Jefferson. Our City Council is a joke. My Councilman has served for something like 15 years and was re-elected in ’05 by 8 votes. We have city elections in November, but the mayor and several council members are not up for re-election. There is serious unrest here because the City has been lack in getting a traffic light installed at an intersection on the bypass between Gainesville and Athens. Many accidents and several fatalities have occurred at the intersection. And, oh yes, the former police chief was just indicted on numerous counts.

7. liberator says:

Now the zealots know how the adult entertainment businesses feel when the morons pass restrictive zoning laws against them. Zoning laws interfere with private property rights and should be abolished.

8. Federalist says:

“Amen” liberator. Furthermore, why waste your time at church when you can work and increase your wealth? Church is the same thing every Sunday. Read the book, pray occasionally, and leave the land space to tax paying businesses that provide useless services for everybody.

9. Federalist says:

I should buy a business in that area and have the cars of those free loading church goers towed when they park in the lot (or in front) of my place of business. Perhaps I could even invest in one of the local towing companies and just encourage them to place trucks in strategic locations at the appropriate times!