Remembering 9/11

Congressman John Linder had an editorial in today’s Gwinnett Daily Post.

While Sept. 11 occurred in this new century, it will forever be one of those moments for a new generation. None of us will ever forget where we were when we heard that the United States was under attack, that two of the tallest buildings in the nation were collapsing into the streets of Lower Manhattan, or that the airlines full of innocent civilians were crashing in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania. Or the fear of wondering when and where they would strike next.

The memories are still painful, especially as we commemorate the anniversary of these atrocities each year. The anniversary of Sept. 11 reminds us each year to remember those who lost their lives that day and that terrorists attacked unarmed civilians on our own soil six years ago.

I was at the dentist that day. They had the radio on (one of the country stations) and at first I thought it was just some small plane accident. Very shortly we all knew it a terrorist attack.

I recently reconnected with an old friend. He told me he was scheduled to visit clients in the World Trade Center on 9/11. He had an appointment at 10 am but had planned to arrive about 8 am and do some cold calling. His flight arrived in New York very late so he slept in.

1. Donkey Kong says:

I too remember exactly where I was and exactly who broke the news. We were all in a sense of shock, a solemn, strange silence considering my surroundings. Whifts of an ocassional whimper from some of the girls and the fear that one of our teachers, an Army Ranger who just departed service a few years prior and who just had his first child, would be called back into service. Oh, I’ll never forget the fear on that day. And I’ll never forget who brought that death and fear to us.

2. drjay says:

It is going to remain one of those days–like pearl harbor or jfk’s murder where we will all remember where we were what we were doing and how we reacted–i was in dental school in a lab and we had the radio on–w/in an hour we were all crowded around a tiny t.v. in the dental assistants lounge watching the coverage, we had an anatomy quiz that afternoon that the t.a. rescheduled–everyone was numb it was very surreal.

3. CobbGOPer says:

Yeah, I was in DC that day. Amid the confusion after the Pentagon was hit, pretty much everyone in the city began to try to make their way home (no one wanted to be downtown if another attack was coming).

I’ll never forget sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic on the GW parkway as we made our way past the Pentagon, with a billowing dark cloud of smoke rising thousands of feet, and the flames of the still burning fires plainly visible from the road, and swarms of soldiers and rescue personnel struggling to get things under control.

I wouldn’t learn until the next day that I actually knew someone on the flight that hit the Pentagon.

I certainly will never forget that day, and I will always remember why we’re fighting.

4. SpaceyG says:

Yeah me too Fed. Especially with some bimbo CNN anchorette saying such things as, “A moment of silence at the New York Stock Exchange. Let’s listen in.” Agggghhhh. It’s turns a solemn, sober day into a showcase for their inarticulateness.

5. rugby_fan says:

The Archdiocese of Atlanta sent out an excellent email today about the anniversary.

I hope none of you mind that I copied and pasted the entire text.

Six years ago today, the United States was shocked by the manifestation of evil as the terrorists attacked New York and Washington, D.C. We are forever scarred by this tragedy, “a dark day in the history of humanity, a terrible affront to human dignity.” (Pope John Paul II.)

Let us pause to pray.

Almighty God and loving Father, we pray for eternal rest for the lives that were lost on 9/11 and for continued consolation for their families. We pray for your blessing on those who labored in the rescue efforts and ministered to the injured as we remember their heroic and often heartbreaking work. We pray for our nation, for our President, and other government leaders, both national and local, and protection for all those who are serving our country.

We pray also for those whose hatred has become so great that they are willing to engage in crimes against our common humanity. May they realize that such violence does not create justice, only greater injustice. We pray for our fellow citizens to renew their trust in you and to turn away from the bitter fruits of the kind of hatred which is the source of this tragedy.

Grant eternal rest for those who have lost their lives protecting our country. Thank you, Father for conquering death through your son, Jesus Christ.

“In you, O Lord, I take refuge . . .

Incline your ear to me, and save me.

Be my rock of refuge, a stronghold to give me safety.” (Psalm 71).

6. jm says:

I was teaching class, and had a planning period after. When the hallway cleared out next period I got two steps out my door and somebody told me about the first plane. We turned on the TV just as the second plane hit. I remember the planes looked so small, like piper cubs, but later I found out that they were jetliners. Then DC was hit. My dad works in DC and sometimes he covers the Pentagon, the WH, etc. press briefings. I got worried, so I called him, but just got voice mail. I figured he was OK, but busy, but you still get antsy, told him to check in when he could. The kids came back in, we watched TV, with the sound off, trying to get some teaching done. Parents kept pulling their kids, taking them home. I didn’t understand that – school is the safest place there is, but there is a need for family. My dad emailed later, no time to call, he had seen the aftermath of the strike on the Pentagon, saw the flames and such. He was fine, just very busy, I think he worked all night.
    My biggest memory was walking into the lunchroom, the Towers had fallen. Everybody was quiet. The most veteran teacher told us twenty thousand estimated killed in the Towers was the news. I couldn’t understand the number, it was more people than the town I grew up in. In the end it was a lot less, but I still couldn’t imagine.

7. Federalist says:

I am not sick. I am just tired of all of the sh-t that has been carried out in the name of September 11th. Pearl Harbor was not milked for this long. No other american tragedy, with the exception of the alamo…but that does not count because it was not part of the US yet…has been used to justify executive action and the suspension/infringement of civil liberties longer than 9/11. Nobody is goind to forget 9/11, why pass a resolution to remember the day. Craig Biggio has a bill waiting to be passed commemorating his 3000th hit, do you want 9/11 to be stooped down to the level of a athletic acheivement…but not positive? 9/11 has been used to defame muslims, win an election for bush, win many elections for gopers, win a few elections for con. dems, to sell books, to justify the invasion of a sovereign nation that had nothing to do with the attack, and countless other atrocities. And the atlanta archdiocese is still using it to make money…what is next?

8. rugby_fan says:

Federalist:

I don’t think its fair for you to say how long people should mourn.

Are some people using 9/11 for personal gain sure, but there are still many people who feel sadness thinking about the attacks. I am one of them.

What makes you sick is your response that the Archdiocese of Atlanta is using this to make money.

Any mention of the words “cash”, “donation”, “money” &c. in the email?

9. rugby_fan says:

I went to the original email as a matter of fact Federalist, and I couldn’t find any mention of money or giving or fundraising in the the email.

You claim the Archdiocese is making money of 9/11 (or the email, I’m not sure).

Because there was not mention of any of those, one must conclude you are seeing things, or tricking yourself into believing something.

Both signs of mental illness, ergo: you are sick.

10. Federalist says:

Rugby_Fan, I never gave a time table to end mourning. Being sick for making the comment about the catholic church though…you are obviously blinded by faith. The catholic church is probably the wealthiest enterprise on earth. Look it up. Just like a good presidential candidate, the catholic church does not need to ask for the money for the people to open their wallets when fed enough of the ritual “opium.” I am not a christian, and my ignorance of catholic tradition seems apparent…it is because when I was a naive youth I went to a methodist church. It is not funny to call me sick. I am showing signs of alzheimers, but I have amassed enough wealth to afford the drugs to put it off and lessen the effects.

11. rugby_fan says:

I know the Church is wealthy.

I’m not blinded by my faith, I will routinely criticize bishops, priests and other members of my faith. You are blinded by your ideology.

And yes it is sick (I do feel sorry for you about your situation. Its something no one should have to suffer through.) to say that a simple prayer is a call for money and calling it an “opium” doesn’t do anything to help your case at all.

12. Federalist says:

I have an ideology of reason and logic. Yours came from 1 book. To say I am blind and you are not is abtruse, and not worth bickering about like two little school girls. I am not trying to help my case. Those enlightened enough understand, and the rest are doomed…but blissful and need not be disturbed. Afterall, disturbing the blissfully ignorant religious zealots is what brought tragedies such as 9/11 upon us, or the Waco Texas incident, or the Yellow Scarf Rebellion, the list goes on for probably a million years…if you believe humans have existed for more than a few thousand years.

13. rugby_fan says:

An exceptional job on judging someone you’ve never met Federalist!

I never once made a statement that would have suggested anything you say and yet you claim to know something about me.

Well done sir!

You are right, its no use arguing with you because facts, my good sir, aren’t really your cup of tea.

14. gatormathis says:

That was a day of all days to say the least.

We were doing the regular monthly county commission meeting that morning expecting nothing eventful at all. The Sheriff was in attendance because of something he was going to address.

Soon his and the TV man’s pagers went to going off regularly, with them constantly checking the messages.

In a minute, the administrator called the meeting to a stop, for the Sheriff to explain us the current events.

We stopped for a few minutes, regathered our thinking, then continued on with what had to be done, so we could get through with the morning’s business.

The most used comment I remembered from people in the next few days was that everyone was glad that it stopped after the hijacked planes exited the skies. If there had been several more incidents planned, they may have been detected earlier, but I’m glad the rest of the day, and week wasn’t filled with bombings and other such atrocities.

People who subscribe to such extreme measures, really don’t care who they hurt, nor how many.

Tremendous suffering was inflicted on many people that day, with scores of families and friends left grieving.

What a waste, so that someone could take an ego trip.

15. Federalist says:

Though I may never see a reply to this…what exactly did you say rugby-fan. There was a discussion of religion and you mentioned the word “facts”. This, as an educated man, confuses me. The only “religions” that use facts as a base are known as cults to the modern man. You must clarify. I already stated, though in ambiguous context, that I merely speculated. Furthermore, it is always easier to judge a person you have never met…unless you despise the person and are unable to budge regardless of the person’s qualities. I only claim to know something about you because I have spent the past 50+ years of my life studying human behavior. Unfortunately for our species their are many similarities to other species. My underlying intentions in this rant are that humans that follow or practice any particular religion all have a something in common that can be universally observed and known,…but only when fellow humans are granted the gift of being free from the bonds that “god” supposedly places on us. I ment no disrespect to you, rugby-fan, but try and see this from my perspective. You can not possibly understand my way of thinking…you have not (permanently) separated yourself from the inequities of the religious, or the tyrannies of the church.

16. rugby_fan says:

Fact: The church never solicited anyone for funds in the email. You claim they were.

Fact: Pretty much everything you have said about me and my faith is wrong. I am guess that you were or are a poor observer of humans.

There have been several other discussions here where you have conveniently ignored facts presented to you.

17. Federalist says:

you are obvoiusly a poor observer of humans if you think the church is anything more than a business and political force. I never claimed that the church flat out asked for money…it is implied. Particularly with the catholic church. What percentage of your income are you supposed to give to them? If only I could have established a business plan that made people believe that they had to give me money for nothing…I would have-oh say- the wealthiest enterprise on earth! Where can I buy stock in the catholic church by the way? Can I just call my broker, or are they traded on one the european stock exchanges?