Is this caused by local corruption and greed?

We headed home from Gulf Shores yesterday. We drove up I-85 to Opelika, took US-280 to Columbus, took US 80 to Geneva, and then stayed straight on the 4 lane road, which became GA-96 and eventually GA-49 heading into Byron.

There is a long stretch of rural US-80 inside Muscogee County that could be 65 miles an hour. But, it stayed 55 mph until you got passed the very nice piece of property with the state paved road going into that was labeled

1. GodHatesTrash says:

Slow down – use less gas – trade less with the enemy.

Conspiracy or not, it’s a great idea.

Make it 50.

2. griftdrift says:

Not all of Alabama is pure. Ever driven through Leeds? I did going to and coming from Tunica. I-20 actually slows down to 55 in the city limits and I’ve never failed to note a local cop sitting somewhere on the side of the road.

And don’t get me started on US 19 in Chiefland, Florida.

3. Donkey Kong says:

GHT,

I’ve become transformed into what you could call a “green conservative.” I commute on my bike every day. I recycle and, if reasonable, try to shop at companies that engage in commerce in an eco-friendly fashion (Hoorah for EarthFare and Starbucks). In general, if I have a choice and they are relatively similar, I choose the option that’s better for the environment.

But when I’m driving on the interstate, anything less than 80 is just too slow. Not to say that I am a habitual speeder, just that I think 80 is the ideal speed on most interstates, 70 on many state roads except in the city.

And, interestingly enough, many of the great intellectual conservatives of years past have been pro-environment (i.e. Richard Weaver, Wendell Berry). We just aren’t envirofascists.

4. GAWire says:

Your problem is that you vacation in Gulf Shores (or the Gulf Coast in general). You need to be going to the beautiful GA barrier islands, like a good Southern Gentleman/Macon Good Ole Boy/Georgia boy. We’ll talk offline.

5. jsm says:

DK,

If you haven’t realized it yet, Trash likes to troll around and leave stupid, nonsense comments here and there. No need replying to him/her/it. No substance there.

6. Doug Deal says:

In Georgia, if it is a state (numbered) highway, the speed limit has to be the state mandidated speed unless there is an engineering study to back up a lower speed.

Maybe there is some reason it doesn’t meet the requirement for 65 mph.

Georgia has some of the tougher anti speed trap laws in the nation, as long as you stick to state highways. On neighborhood streets and county roads, you are on your own.

7. GodHatesTrash says:

DK – no way could my remarks hold a candle to the halfwitticisms of the esteemed huckleberry Mr. jsm!

8. Yo Erick,

You can get an answer from the cash cow’s* mouth tomorrow, if you have $30 left over from your vacation.

Remind me to tell you the circa mid-1980s story about stumbling over a small herd of dead cows on the railroad track between Junction City & Muscogee Junction at about
    3a.m., on a moonless night, after watching Nightmare on Elm Street in a downtown Columbus Railroad Motel.

“POLITICIANS COMING TO MACON ON TUESDAY

Some big names in Georgia politics will be in Macon on Tuesday for a Georgia Chamber of Commerce legislative update.

Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle, Department of Transportation Commissioner *Harold Linnenkohl, Secretary of State Karen Handel, Environmental Protection Division Director Carol Couch and state Sen. Chip Rogers, R-Woodstock, will be on hand to discuss the biggest issues facing the state. Health care, tax reform, transportation planning (and Linnenkohl’s pending retirement) as well as the state water plan are likely to come up.”

9. Rpolitic says:

I would say greed is the driving force. Hey here is one for you, and a friend just got a ticket Friday for “following too closely” but was 2 car lengths out at 65 mph. The fine is $20 but the court cst are $138. Now that is revenue

U.S. 60, I-65 on safety watch
    Speeders, tailgaters, others targeted

By Sara Cunningham
    [email protected]
    The Courier-Journal

Aggressive and inattentive drivers beware. Two new safety campaigns could mean more tickets for those who push the limits on area highways:

The Ticketing Aggressive Cars and Trucks enforcement blitz targets drivers who tailgate, cut in front of other vehicles and speed along a stretch of Interstate 65.

10. Federalist says:

If you do not like the speed limit thing on a state road going near private property…what do you think will happen with the developments where the Oaky Woods used to be?

11. Donkey Kong says: