Huckabee visits Duluth.

About 200 people showed up to see Presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee in Duluth.

“My parents wanted my sister and me to go to college because they wanted us to have a better life than they had,” he said. “I got into politics for three reasons: (his children) John Mark, David and Sarah. … I got into politics when they were young because I wanted them to have a better life than me.”

Huckabee said he became a Republican out of conviction when he was a teenager. He said he’s pro-life because he believes in the sanctity of life.

“I’m not against anyone or anything, but I’m for everyone,” he said. “Our country was founded on the belief that every human being has intrinsic value and worth. That’s why we’re different than the Islamic jihadists who would strap a bomb to a child’s chest and send him into a room to blow it up … and then celebrate the death of the child.”

Powered by ScribeFire.

1. debbie0040 says:

Hucakbee was pretty impressive. All of the GOP candidates are. We have a field that is great!! Compare the GOP filed to the Democrats…

Check out this site and see what the left wing nut cases are up to. It is clear they are terrified of a Fred Presidential run. They know if Fred is the nominee, the left wingers have lost the Whitehouse …again

2. debbie0040 says:

I would not have a problem voting for any of the GOP candidates if they won the nomination.

Fred brings excitement that has been lacking.

I support Fred, but I won’t say anything bad about the other candidates.

When it is all said and done, we are family…

3. ConservativeCaucus says:

Saw him on Saturday in Cobb… impressive. It was also good to hear him elaborate on his positions instead of the 60 second soundbytes that we get on the debates. After much examination over these last 3-4 months, I am convinced that he is the best of the lot. Every candidate has a flaw (some of them more than one), but Gov. Huckabee is the closest thing to ideological purity by my measure… and he can communicate the conservative message better than any of the others currently declared.

4. Groseclose says:

I wasn’t at any of Huckabee’s events Saturday (I was to o busy being disappointed in Athens), but I am glad to see Huckabee continues to gain “traction.” As a social conservative, I view the other four top tier candidiates as less than ideal. While Huckabee may not have the money to presevere throughout the entire race, I am not ready, at this juncture in the race, to “settle” for any of those undesirable candidiates.

5. Tommy_a2b says:

Can anyone wonder why Huckabee can’t get any finacial traction? He is worse than Romney on Flip Flopping. The guy is historically a fiscal liberal. Suggestion to Huckabee, walk the walk before you talk the talk. You sound great man, just live it first.

6. ConservativeCaucus says:

Good call Groseclose.. that is what I have been thinking. Could I support most anyone in the GOP field come the general… yes I could. However, I want the one who will both represent my values and have the charisma to win over the American people. Therefore, I pick Huckabee.

7. Sam Teasley says:

On the issues:

1) Only one talking about the Fair Tax
    2) Cut taxes 94 times with extremely Democratic Legislature
    3) Consistently and unapologetically pro-life
    4) Pro-2nd amendment: first Governor to have a concealed handgun license
    5) Executive experience as a Governor
    6) Best communicator of the entire GOP field

8. IndyInjun says:

Jason, you have done your research and see that the Rev. Huckabee is an imposter……Huckster is more like it.

Sam T,

He is a second tier candidate who THINKS the Fair???tax is the way to differentiate himself. Too, hawking it is consistent with his hucksterism.

ALL of the major candidates have done the research that tells them that the Fair???tax may gain some fanfare, but when the harsh glare of reality about that nutty tax con job hits, they want to be nowhere near it.

Opponents of Fair???taxers have had a field day with it. Just ask Max Burns.

9. ConservativeCaucus says:

Thanks for the advice Jason and Indy… I have done my research:

Giuliani: strong leader, disagree with him on “social” issues and think the base would stay home

McCain: distinguished career in military and Senate, but wrong on immigration and seems to take pleasure in annoying conservatives

Thompson: What does he even believe? I like him as an actor… but he accomplished very little in the Senate and has a similar voting record to McCain

Romney: slick… seems a little too perfect, but is saying the right things at this point in his political career – extremely open to be called a flip-flopper

Do you dispute this representation of the “top tier”?

Who do you two recommend?

10. GOPeach says:

Were any RON PAUL fans at the Huckabee thingy?

Ron Paul wants to do away with the NEA and the
    Dept. of EDUCATION. AMEN!!! Preach it!

Talk about a waste of flippin money –

Just think….

No war.
    No IRS.
    No CIA.
    No Dept. of Edu.

We would all have money and do you know what PEACH would do????

11. Jason Pye says:

1) Only one talking about the Fair Tax

That is simply not true. Tom Tancredo and Duncan Hunter are co-sponsors of the bill and Tancredo went as far as to mention The FairTax Book and John Linder and Boortz during a debate. Huckabee is playing the FairTax’ers. I doubt he is truly sincere.

2) Cut taxes 94 times with extremely Democratic Legislature

As I pointed out on another thread, which you didn’t respond to, Huckabee is a serial spender and has raised taxes, even so much as to tax nursing home beds. He also increased spending by 65%. Not something to be proud of.

3) Consistently and unapologetically pro-life

This is one of those issues that is just pointless to argue against. Abortion is pretty much here to stay whether you like it or not. I happen not to like it and I’d like to see Roe v. Wade overturned and let individual states decide issue.

4) Pro-2nd amendment: first Governor to have a concealed handgun license

While he may have a decent record on the 2nd Amendment, there are other candidates in the race that are as strong or stronger on the issue.

5) Executive experience as a Governor
    I’m not promoting Giuliani, but he was the executive of a city of more than ten million people and actually has a fiscal record that he doesn’t have to hide. I have no doubt that you don’t like him because of his stances on some social issues, which is as misguided as your support for Huckabee.

Huckabee’s record as Governor is not something to be touted as something to be proud of, especially if you call yourself a fiscal conservative. He was given a D in fiscal policy by the Cato Institute.

6) Best communicator of the entire GOP field

HAHAHA. Not really. He is the best at hiding his record. I refuse to vote for the guy, but Romney seems to be better at least in delivery.

12. ConservativeCaucus says:

Jason,

He is the only one promoting the FairTax. Yes, Tancredo mentioned it in a debate… but Tancredo is one of the least likely candidates to ascend to the presidency. If FairTax is your issue, Giuliani, McCain, and Romney don’t support it and Thompson has been coy about it.

You didn’t answer my question… who do you support?

13. Jason Pye says:

The Fair Tax isn’t my issue. I was respond to another commenter. My issues are spending and civil liberties.

I will vote for Dr. Paul in the primary simply because he is the only candidate that seems to believe in liberty. But he has kind of gotten under my skin lately. I liked Gilmore. He was my second choice and seemed like someone I could vote for and be able to live with myself, but he dropped out. I wish Mark Sanford had gotten in the race.

I honestly don’t know who I’ll vote for in the general election next year. I honestly cannot bring myself to vote for any of the GOP candidates that have a real shot at winning, and there is no chance in hell that I’ll vote for Hillary Clinton.

I may vote for the Libertarian Party nominee, depending on who it is.

14. GOPeach says:

Jason-

I have the feeling that…

Hillary and Obama will tear each other to bits.
    John Edwards will be your Dem.

Romney will win the Rep. ticket.

I know creepy… huh?

That’s just my feeling.

15. Jason Pye says:

I think the only chance the GOP has to win is if Giuliani is the nominee.

Romney is a lot of nothing. Style and no substance.

Fred Thompson isn’t going to win many moderates or independents. He is a carbon copy of Bush, at least on foreign policy…maybe not so much on fiscal issues.

Giuliani is the GOP candidate that I am the most scared of. His willingness to trade liberty for security is dangerous.

16. ConservativeCaucus says:

Jason,

There seems to be a real anger that you have towards Huckabee that you don’t have for Thomspon, Giuliani, and Romney. Why is that? I understand that Club for Growth and Cato don’t like him, but he has given explanations that they are trying to put a square peg in a round hole (applying a blanket template to a complex situation)… but there seems to be something deeper than that. Is it because he was a minister?

Please know that I am asking sincerely and not trying to be difficult, I just honestly don’t understand why you dislike him so.

17. Jason Pye says:

I just don’t like the guy. I have similar feelings towards Romney. The fact that people are blindly going to him without doing simple research bothers me. And I’ve gave a candid answer about Giuliani when I was on Wilson Smith’s radio show back in July.

His answers have always been passive, he hasn’t ever really directly answered the criticisms. And if your economy is struggling, you don’t raise taxes…you cut taxes.

I used to work on staff at a church, so it’s not that he is a minister. But I don’t like that people apply their personal religious beliefs into their politics.

And in my defense, Erick has posted some mean stuff about Ron Paul and Paul Broun.

18. ConservativeCaucus says:

Fair enough. I am sorry you don’t like the guy… I know this sounds naive, but he strikes me as a genuine person. I don’t feel that he has evaded questions. Rather, other than Ron Paul, I think he has given the most straightforward answers of anyone else on the stage. I have heard a lot of people praise him for not dodging the questions.

I see him as being a real positive change from President Bush on so many levels. I am with you that when your economy is slowing, you cut taxes. I know it is preferred that you cut spending instead of raising taxes, but since the legislature controls the budget, how can he mandate that? I know he signed the bill to raise the gas tax, but 80% of the population was for it and they needed roads.

I know you must think that I sound like a schill for Gov. Huckabee, but I can’t see anyone else who has the possibility to be elected who is better… do you?

19. Jason Pye says:

Most politicians play up their accomplishments from their past as a way to prove their credentials. Huckabee doesn’t do that because he has a poor record and he would be picked apart.

Woah, that is quite a load. A Governor, like Mark Sanford for example, can use his veto pen. If the legislature overrides him, then he has a point. Huckabee often went along with increases in spending and tax increases.

I see another George Bush and that scares the hell out of me.

There is a whole hell of a lot more than that, and that is what I mean by not getting educated about the guy.

The Arkansas Times has done some research on his record and they’ve blasted him, “He said the [Club for Growth] ad was wrong in saying that he had raised the gasoline tax. Arkansas voters passed the tax on diesel, he said. Wrong entirely. The legislature passed his gasoline tax and he signed it into law. He signed an accompanying diesel tax, too, but it went into effect only if voters approved a bond issue. The ballot made no mention of a tax increase. They did not put the tax on the ballot because it would have been defeated. The bond issue passed.”

And on the spending issue and the budget, “That 50 percent increase in state spending while he was governor that the Growthers cited, he said, was mainly spending under the legislature’s control, not his. No, every dollar of spending is appropriated by the legislature and every appropriation is subject to gubernatorial veto. The legislature almost uniformly adopted the governor’s spending recommendations.”

Listen to the guy, he sounds like a leftist…and even Chris Matthews said it.

I know you must think that I sound like a schill for Gov. Huckabee…

You do.

I can

20. ConservativeCaucus says:

First you say he didn’t sign it, now he signed it too late or for the wrong reason. I give up trying to have any discussion with you. Enjoy your hatred for a decent man.

21. ConservativeCaucus says:

Let me apologize for one thing… the comment “enjoy your hatred…” was strong. I wish that I had not used that word. I am frustrated that you seem to have a strange obsession with the man and an axe to grind with him, and I reacted strongly. I apologize.

22. IndyInjun says:

Mark Sanford is the most principled, conservative executive in the USA. It is indeed our loss that he has not stepped forward to save his party and conservatism from a disaster in 2008.

23. Jason Pye says:

Someone who has a proven record of increasing taxes and refuses to sign a pledge not to increase taxes, then changes his mind after political pressure, you can help but question his sincerity and commitment.

24. rugby_fan says:

“I would establish a chain of schools!!! Schools that teach kids HOW ( not what) to THINK!!!”

Preventing GOPeach from opening schools is as good a reason as any to keep taxes high.

25. GOPeach says:

Rugby –

I would expect nothing else from you than a
    smart *ss comment like that but…

Trash –

Please get away from Rugby – He’s a bad influence! 🙂

26. GOPeach says:

I am not happy to know that Ralph Reed is with Rudy…

The ABH ( anyone but Hilary) philosophy is bunk!

Ron Paul can take down Rudy and Hi-lary!