I can’t see this making money

From the Atlanta Business Chronicle:

An Atlanta developer wants to build the longest and highest indoor ski dome in the world just off Georgia 400 on the shore of Lake Lanier.

(Subscription required to read full story)

If it makes money great, I just don’t know how a ski resort in Georgia would.

Update: Mark Rountree brings to my attention this free story from what appears to be a new blog.

1. Mark Rountree says:

Atl Bus Chronicle says it would be a cost of a Billion dollars. Some entire nations are worth less.

It looks like entire mall would be attached to it, plus some hotels (not enough in that area).

Seems like the ski dome would have many of the same type of patrons as professional ice hockey in Atlanta… Does anyone know how profitable the Thrashers are (or if)?

And how the Thrashers do in attendance at games vs. other hockey teams? The Gwinnett Gladiators do pretty well for minor league teams. But that is a county government paid-for arena.

2. Macon started the trend with Ice Skating at the Coliseum. Erick advanced it with walking on thin ice. Doc Holliday took it a step further by building Igloos out of piles of Open Records requests and now Atlanta is finally catching the chilling trend.

3. Carpe Forem says:

There use to be an artificial ski slope off of Paces Mill Rd in the late ’70’s. It seemed busy for a couple of years. Don’t know if it ever made money or not.

4. DoubleDawg3 says:

First, to answer the question above about the Thrashers attendance:

ESPN shows that the 2007 average attendance was 16, 229 – 87.5% of the seating capacity, which ranked 21 out of 30. But the numbers have been consistently on the rise (up from 72% in 2003). Decent numbers, I guess (the Braves, by the way, have averaged 68.8%, 16 out of 30 MLB teams in 2007 thus far)

As for the development in Dawson County…I think the big question is sustained business. I’m sure the first couple of years will bring lots of visitors, but after that, what?

I did hear on the Channel 11 news that Atlanta is home to one of the largest ski clubs in the world (also supported at http://www.atlantaskiclub.com).

Plus, if the “new Northern Arc” does in fact come into play, DOT Chair Mike Evans has said that it would likely run through northern Forsyth or southern Dawson counties. If that is the case, that might make transportation to the area more accessible to those outside of Atlanta. However, I question how many people from “up north” (i.e. Tenn. & North Carolina) would be willing to travel to an indoor ski resort, with outdoor ski resorts being closer by (I guess not in June or July though). Plus, if this one does really well, I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before they pop up in other places (Disney World for example).

Sounds kind of cool though. I’d pay to go at least once.

5. Mike-El says:

On the other hand, I think the plan to pump fake snow for sledding onto the laser show hill at Stone Mountain is going to be a license to print money.

6. DoubleDawg3 says:

Oh yeah, one more thing…If I recall correctly, there was some thought this project was dead due to legislation which Senator Chip Pearson had gotten passed (which would have provided major tax incentives to “tourism” type of industries coming into Georgia), but which legislation was ultimately vetoed .

…Ah, just looked it up…looks like it was HB 451, which was not only going to help the developers of this project but several others planned throughout Georgia, including a $100-150 million 20-acre water park in Forsyth County on Lake Lanier.

Be interesting to see if that legislation pops back up in a somewhat amended form next session.

7. DMZDave says:

Carpe Forem brought back a great memory. There was indeed a great little artificial ski slope in Vinings with a hill coverd with white astroturf and tons of little beads of plastic to make you slide. It was about 300 – 400 feet long with an old fashioned J-bar lift and draft beer in the lodge to help you overcome your fear. I loved the place. You can’t get an edge on plastic beads so you really have to weight and unweight your skis. Snow was easy after the beads. At the end of the day, all the beads would be pushed to the bottom of the hill and they would then fill up a big tub on two skis to bring the beads tback o the top of the hill.

As I recall, they left the tub on skis at the top of the hill one evening and that same night the clubhouse was rented out for a private party. Two drunken, sorority sister types in hopes of winning a Darwin award got into the tub mounted on skis and pushed off toward the bottom of the hill and you can guess the rest. The girls couldn’t stop and crashed through the fence, flew over the road and ended up in the trees with their legs and hips repositioned at very odd angles. The fact that they survived the crash disqualified them for the Darwin. The resulting lawsuit brought an end to Georgia’s artificial ski slope. I’m looking forward to this new project and hope the developers will take into account the propensity for stupid people to do stupid things and then find a smart lawyer to blame it all on someone else.

8. Randy Lewis says:

We had this posted on Georgia Daily Digest.com last Wednesday – FREE. Sign up for the free daily headline alert and you will be ahead of the news.

This thing is gonna make so much money. It the build it the way they say, it could become one of the most important resorts in the nation.

9. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

DMZ Dave, great recollection. I’ve never heard of this before and I live close to Vinings. When was all this? 1970s, or earlier?

10. BlackfinDay says:

To follow up on DMZ’s history lesson, after the business closed, it becasme a favortie spot for high school kids to hang out and drink beer (myself included). The “lodge” burned in a fire sometime between 84 and 89, but the iron ibeam skeleton remained, complete with the steel steps that led to the top of the building. This provided a “crow’s nest” with one of the best views of the downtown skyline to be had in vinings. And with no development around (then), it made for a great quiet sport for… whatever.
    On topic, if this thing is built right, it could make money. How many of you skiers out there might have shelled out a few bucks for a winter afternoon experience during these latest dog days we’ve had here in georgia? I would’ve paid good money just to go sit in the snow…..

11. jsm says:

I’d kinda like to know what the energy requirements would be, how the energy load would compare to a typical cold storage facility, and how the energy would be produced. It would be one big freezer, and I believe the project would be much better received if designers were to use/develop leading edge energy-efficient technology to run something like this.