Friday Open Thread

For your blogging pleasure, here’s a open thread.

1. Ever noticed that when a Republican gets caught doing something bad, it’s REALLY REALLY bad… but if a Democrat does something bad, it’s something to be defended, pushed aside, or worse… write a book and make money from their badness? (hint: Bill Clinton)

I’m neither Republican nor Democrat, but why don’t both sides just agree on something. If the politician commits sexual wrongdoing, they should resign or be impeached, or whatever needs to be done.

Had Larry Craig been Democrat, every Democrat would be screaming about how Americans are homophobic, bigots over gay issues, but since it’s a Republican that got caught… rules change.

Personally, I think Clinton should have been immediately removed from office, and so should Craig and anyone else that does stuff like this. And before anyone says what they do in their personal life is their business, let’s not forget they hold public offices voted by “we the people” and they have a high standard to live by.

Afterall, they ran for the office. No one made them give up their privacy and be accountable to the people.

2. Doug Deal says:

Facing,

That is why I identitfy with Republicans and not Democrats. Lately there is not any real difference between them, except that at least Republicans hold occassionally hold their politicians accountable. The Democrats have the morals of an alley cat.

3. drjay says:

an open thread–yet another opportunity for a shameless self promotion–as i will be qualifying today for a race for city council in pooler ga

the website is :

hope to have a paypal acct. linked to it this weekend so all my internet savvy acquantances can shower me w/ campaign contributions

thanks–if you happen to know anyone in pooler please ask them to consider me to represent them

4. rugby_fan says:

Let’s open up ballot access laws and bring in the Rugby League Party to Georgia.

The children would love a game of footy, and we’d solve all our societal problems.

“What’s that mate? The man got you down? How ’bout a game of Rugby League!”

“Oh yea, sounds a beaut! Off we go, watch the dummy half and all that!”

Scenarios like that happen all the time in Australia.

I’d also be quite fine with someone starting a Rugby Union Party.

5. SouthFultonGuy says:

What are the group’s thoughts about a blog owner who no longer allows any comments on his posts regarding the potential City of South Fulton, and selectively deletes comments from those who disagree with him?

While that’s his prerogative, and having a bully pulpit comes with maintaining a BLOG, I think there should be some sort of disclaimer.

Can you really call it a BLOG if folks cannot respond to controversial or is it just a website or campaign mechanism?

It also does not say much for the strength of his intellectual argument for the city: http://georgiaunfiltered.blogspot.com/2007/08/city-of-south-fulton-picks-up-some-more.html

6. Andre Walker says:

To answer South Fulton Guy’s question…

…Quite simply, because I can.

When it comes to leaving comments on a blog, there’s no consitutionally-protected right to do so. To be quite frank with you, since Georgia Politics Unfiltered is my blog, I can pretty much do anything I want with it including deleting comments, not allowing comments, moderating comments, and so forth.

To use a line from the pro-abortion rights community, it’s my choice. And it’s also your choice on whether you’re going to read my blog or not. Nobody’s holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read any blog anywhere, and to be real honest with you, if you’re losing sleep about your comments being censored (and from you incessant complaining about it, it seems as if you are), then maybe you should start your own blog.

I’ll even tell you how to do it.

Go to Blogger.com; click on “Create New Blog” or whatever it is that button says; start posting some entries; get your blog featured in the AJC, the Macon Telegraph, CNN, the National Journal, and the National Conference of State Legislatures; and then you can control what is and is not said on your site.

Until then, stop acting like a little b***h about it. Sheesh, you’re worse than the guys my mother told me about who threw hands with each other over who was going to go first in the Church’s chicken line.

Is it that serious?

7. drjay says:

i’d look and see what all the hoopla is about–but i really can’t go to ga unfiltered at work b/c of the rather racy johnq ads you have all over it…

8. Mike-El says:

Dunno about loudest…but as Rudd’s character explained to one agonized, heavily-pregnant woman who moaned, “Are these supposed to hurt?”

“If they don’t HURT BAD, you ain’t doin’ ’em right!”

9. Toddrob says:

Marshall has one of THE WORST attendance records in Congress! take a look. Marshall has missed more votes than over 400 of the 435 Members of Congress. Here it is

10. rugby_fan says:

We’ll have to wait and see.

I wouldn’t believe she would be, not to knock her capabilities, but just because, certain protocol must be observed for a well functioning, and maintained society.

11. NonPartisanGA says:

Is Andre Walker the guy who hopes someday to run for political office? He seems to have a huge ego and is very immature.

12. SpaceyG says:

What’s all this about bathroom press conferences? Believe you me, I’d rather live blog a Vick dog fight than a politician in a Men’s room. Uggggghhhhhh

13. SouthFultonGuy says:

Andre,

If its not that serious why did you try and hack my South Fulton Guy email account (the email below outed your failed attempt). Sheesh

———- Forwarded message ———-
    From: [email protected]
    Date: Aug 10, 2007 5:19 PM
    Subject: A.Walker Tried Hacking You
    To: [email protected]

Dear South Fulton Guy,

Your friend A.Walker whose email address is [email protected] has asked us to hack you from the IP Address 131.96.91.110 on 10.08.2007 at 15:19:00 (EST). However we do not do such evil things and that’s why we emailed you to let you know.

Here is the reason why your friend A.Walker wants to hack you:

“Internal emails have been spread around the web and I need to find out who this person is in order to plug the leak.”

Our website fools people like A.Walker into thinking that we are hackers and that we do hacking for FREE! (how insane), however we are here only to name and shame those who try hacking their friends.

We have also informed A.Walker that they have been framed and that we have also emailed you.

Finally,

Take care in this dangerous world…

Hack My Friend Team (http://www.hackmyfriend.com )

PS: hope this hasn’t affected your friendship with A.Walker (if it has, they have been an ass to you anyway)

14. Andisheh, that interview was just about the most hilarious thing to hit the internets this millenium. What is that growing out of your left ear? Are you having frequent burning sensations during your kegel exercises since the interview?

Andre,
    Hate to put on my striped suit & hat to blow the whistle on ya but you can’t call for open government while censoring feedback on your political blog. Until you change that mindset, please don’t try to run for elected office. But you’re still my favorite south fulton bud.

Congrats to the Republicans on capturing 80% of the Ethics glory!

15. Holly says:

What kind of dog? And Dr. Jay, congrats on your decision to run for city council. Between, you, Bull, and our Swedish Chef, city councils. . . they are a’changing for the better. 🙂

Buzz! I hear you’re headed my way in October. Looking forward to it.