Pull up your pants or face the wrath of Atlanta.

Atlanta Councilman C.T. Martin is tired of seeing people’s underwear and thongs and bras and he’s going to do something about it.

Saggy pants are an “epidemic” that are becoming a “major concern” in cities and states around the country, the ordinance reads.

“Little children see it and want to adopt it, thinking it’s the in thing,” Martin said Wednesday. “I don’t want young people thinking that half-dressing is the way to go. I want them to think about their future.”

Under the proposed ordinance, women also couldn’t reveal the strap of a thong beneath their pants. Nor could they wear jogging bras in public or show off even a wisp of a bra strap, said Debbie Seagraves, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Georgia.

The proposed ordinance states that “the indecent exposure of his or her undergarments” would be unlawful in a public place. It would go in the same portion of the city code that outlaws sex in public and the exposure or fondling of genitals and the breast of a woman. Martin said the penalty would be a fine in an amount to be determined.

Powered by ScribeFire.

1. I can understand the thongs issue, and the saggy pants where people’s butts and underwear are hanging out, but a wisp of a bra strap?

Until the clothing makers sew in a bra to every woman’s shirt, blouse or dress, there are going to be wisps of bra straps showing. They slide for crying out loud!

I hope his wife or daughters never fall victim to the slip of a bra strap showing, because he’s going to have a gazillion angry women as it is.. he’s not going to want an angry wife and daughter too.

2. bsjy says:

This story could be exhibit A for the prosecution in a case to reduce the number of elected officials and the size of their staffs. Government cannot help itself but inevitably becomes more intrusive and less respectful of personal liberty.

If the d*mb-a$$es want to wear their pants absurdly low, and if the girls want to put everything on display, it harms them rather than Mr. Martin.

If Mr. Martin wants to address the “root causes” of prison-hip and the rest of the hip-hop culture, it lies in poor education and the destruction of the poor black family. The correct response is vouchers and sharply reduced cash to unwed mothers. But the educrats and the grievance elite will fight that to the death.

3. Rick Day says:

Once more, The Man ™ attempts to repress the wild spirit of youth.

I’m afraid most boomer’s memories are as short as their male reproductive units.

Yes, Nanny.

4. drjay says:

i do think the law is absurd–but i do not think its intent is to ban recalitrant bra straps–that was just the aclu spokesperson providing an example of what might end up being forbidden by the language of the ordinance–but the fact is underwear is not nudity–so i do not see how it can be singled out for scrutiny–is i go get my paper in my boxers on sunday morning–will that be illegal–i will be less nude than someone in a string bikini–schools and businesses have dress codes–let the private sector work it out–good grief…

5. Loren says:

Is an undershirt considered an “undergarment”? Because if so, an unbuttoned collar would constitute a violation.

6. Inside_Man says:

I’m glad that Atlanta wants to use some of it’s vast resources to combat this menace. I’ll sleep better at night knowing the guy breaking my car window and stealing my stereo will be wearing a belt.

7. CobbGOPer says:

If this stops the girls in Piedmont Park from jogging in sports bras, I’m gonna slap Mr. Martin upside the head.

8. gatormathis says:

We were at the beach a few years ago.

My wife kept hearing this shrill whistle type noise and began complaining about it.

It was the exact sound that one used to make by blowing with your mouth on the edge of a thin, stretched, piece of plastic or paper with a lot of pressure. Shrill, whistling type annoying sound….

It took a while but I finally figured out the cause.

It was the sound of wimmen on the beach, expelling flatuence, while wearing a thong………

…..similiar sound……similiar technique…..either just as annoying…….

9. liberator says:

C.T.Martin is a blithering idiot. A Fascist indeed. Women joggin in sports bars is an Atlanta tradition. Is this fool Gay?

10. Southerner says:

I served on the City Council with CT for eight years. Frankly, this is the most down-to-earth legislation I think he’s ever sponsored. Of course, it’s insane, but those of us who know and love CT wouldn’t have it any other way.

11. sethweathers says:

I’m just glad to know that all of the major issues have been dealt with in the city of atlanta and that they have time to screw around with this type of thing.

job well done city council of atlanta!

(SARCASM WARNING – THIS MESSAGE WAS FILLED WITH IT)

stupid people just do stupid things… it’s a medical fact. 😀

12. liberator says:

This is the same clown that introduced a commuter tax claiming they cost Atlanta money everytime they flushed the toilet. I remember Boortz urging commuters not to flush the toilet while in Atlanta after Martin’s remarks.