1. MSBassSinger says:

Yep. Another wonderful example of the People’s Republic of Atlanta. Private property rights? The City of Atlanta don’t need no stinkin’ private property rights!

Who would want to destroy all those rundown neighborhoods in Atlanta? Blight is beautiful, baby!

The real reason this passed is because a few homeowners in certain well-to-do neighborhoods think their desire to tell other people how to build on their own private property, outside of agreed-upon covenant restrictions, trumps the Constitutional right to private property. In 5-10 years, when those neighborhoods become less desirable because there is no new blood, I’m sure they’ll find someone else to blame but themselves.

This kind of foolish ruling will make it more difficult to recover blighted neighborhoods by building new homes where the owner actually wants a little room in the home for a family. That will just help keep Atlanta keep sliding downward.

2. kevpriest says:

You are exactly right, in my opinion. I believe Atlanta’s recent population growth showed that there is a market for homes in Atlanta, but modern people want houses with modern conveniences. Unfortunately, it will be harder to get those houses now, and many older neighborhoods will suffer under these restriction. I can go to downtown Norcross and by a fantastic 3000 sq ft house on a tiny lot, but you will no longer be able to do this in Atlanta.

3. Decaturguy says:

An acutal reading of the ordinance shows that it is quite limited in its application. A standard size lot still allows you to build a very, very large new house.

Therefore, I think the “Death to McMansion” title is not really accurate. Some, I am not one of them, would say it doesn’t go nearly far enough.

4. bsjy says:

I am on an email list of infill-concerned lefties in one of the affected Buckhead neighborhoods, and they are dancing in the streets. The lady quoted in the AJC is the main mover in this neighborhood. A modern Nazi (combining fascism with socialism), she has no problem taking away property rights in pursuit of her noble protection of trees and run-down bungalows she finds attractive. The tree on your property is sacred to her, and if you get in her way she will bring the power of the State down on you. Likewise, she has determined how much living space you should have in your home.

5. Rick Day says:

“This is as good as you can get right now and we’ll work it out from here,” said Chris Burke, a vice president with the Greater Atlanta Homebuilders Association.

I think there was more than the ‘spirit of compromise’ at work here.

With the housing bust almost guaranteeing poor sales potential for these monsters, isn’t this a bit of the ‘tail wagging the dog’?

Too little, too late, IMHO

6. Federalist says:

These damned socialists. Whatever happened to private property rights? So what if I want to build a 10k sq/ft home in ATL. This is just another one of those naive populist leanings that those garbage pseudo-politicians are putting forth to make areas less wealthy. Sounds like something that dale cardwell would want. Thank the american political system for his candidacy going south.

7. Decaturguy says:

I am just stunned that something the Homebuilders Association (not exactly a lefty group) supported (and probably drafted quite frankly) is called Socialist and taking people’s property rights away! Unbelievable.

8. >>>Hold on a second. This law was something that the homebuilders association and the realtors actually agreed with and pushed for. That is why it passed unanimously.

9. hankreardan says:

Decaturguy
    Why should some one else dictate what type of home I can build? The reason we have this mess is because of people like you in trhe first place. We need less zoning?The reason for the traffic proplems is due to zoning. If could have more mixed use we would have less traffic. I live in Griffin in my 5000 square foot house do you think maybe I would move inside of 2-85 if there was more large houses? Instead I drive 1 hour everyday because of people like you.

10. Decaturguy says:

I’m not making any judgment one way or the other on the merits or not of the Atlanta ordinance. All I know is that the homebuilders and the realtors (who supported this measure 100%) are not likely to have supported something that is anti-property rights or Socialistic. And I do know that the ordinance allows for a 3,500 square foot house to be built on even the smallest city lot in Atlanta (even larger on standard sized lots).