Bull Moose’s opponents try to take the bull by the horns…

…I’m not sure if y’all saw this in today’s Savannah Morning News:

The strategist for Mary Ellen Sprague has urged political donors to boycott her opponent, Clint Murphy.

“I am going to try and help you save money,” Dave Simons wrote in an e-mail to about 50 people. “Please do not give your money … to Clint Murphy.

“Many folks, including some of our favorite Republican elected officials in Chatham County, are closing the circle to Clint because of his actions against many of us.”

“Sprague’s strategist urges political donors to boycott her opponent”

According to the article, Dave Simons says that Republican donors shouldn’t give any money to Clint “Bull Moose” Murphy because he’s had the temerity to criticize Republican elected officials such as state Sen. Eric Johnson and state Rep. Ron Stephens.

Big deal.

Last time I checked, both Sen. Johnson and Rep. Stephens were public officials meaning that fair criticisms of their actions are fair game. You know, I find it interesting that someone would say “don’t give money to this person because he holds elected officials accountable.” Maybe, just maybe, if Bull Moose had said “Eric Johnson is God’s gift to the Georgia General Assembly” (and I’m pretty sure several legislators on both sides of the aisle would take issue with that [j/k, Sen. Johnson]), then folks like David Simons might be singing a different tune (although I doubt it).

Anyways, Bull Moose, with e-mails saying “I want you to advise me on how to destroy him […] … Destroy him, you have my permission!”, I guess you should happy that all your opponents are trying to do is keep people from giving you money.

At least they aren’t trying to put a hit out on you.

1. SpaceyG says:

Bull’s gonna lose this one. Why? He’s already talking way too much sense for politics:

“In retrospect, Murphy said, he would have worded his criticisms of the board differently. But he said he is not sorry he sometimes publicly disagrees with elected officials.

“I think it makes them better at what they are doing,” he (BM) said. “It has led more people to … pay attention to the issues.”

2. rugby_fan says:

Maybe Peach Pundit could have a fund raising drive for our dear friend?

I think we could show how much money has been raised with some antlers filling up like a thermometer.

A goal of say, $500?

3. buzzbrockway says:

This is priceless:

At the time, Murphy said Brady accidently sent him an e-mail intended for Simons.

“I want you to advise me on how to destroy him!!!” the missive read. “You are my political consultant. … Destroy him, you have my permission!”

Brady denied writing it, saying someone hacked into her e-mail account to discredit her.

Hacked in? LOL.

4. HungarianAngel says:

Simons often behaves like a thin-skinned amateur. He obviously thinks Clint Murphy is a threat to Sprague.

Doesn’t Simon realize that he’s actually awarded Murphy with attention?

Folks, let’s play a good game: someone go to the SOS website, the chatham board of elections, and other counties nearby and let’s look at how many Democrats Simon has worked for?

Simons works against us Republicans all the time. For HIM to attack Murphy for disagreeing with Republicans sometimes makes him a full scale hypocrite.

5. debbie0040 says:

That should get Bull many votes. There is discontent out there…

The GOP officials that are so called closing the circle against Clint should remember what happened in the Tenth District when the GOP good ole boy network supported Whitehead….They closed the circle against Broun and he won.

6. Romegaguy says:

Funny I thought Whitehead beat himself. Broun was just lucky…

Does anybody know which candidate will get the one liter mugs of beer back on Riverstreet? That is who I would contribute to…

7. Icarus says:

Only as a “controlled experiment” to try to understand stoner logic.

Or, like occasionally, when, you know, you just kind of need to feel groovy.

8. Icarus says:

I think I’m going to go back and re-read that post about there being a 20% chance that this life is just a computer simulation.

Right after I get back from Krystal.

9. Mike Hauncho says:

“You can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a Bull’s ass but I would rather take the butchers word for it.”

10. kendrial says:

Can Peach Pundit re-post the Bull Moose post that started this all? You know the one where Bull slams Dave and in turn Sen. Johnson.

11. Roberto says:

I think HungarianAngel just nailed it.

Dave “Professional Leach” Simons thinks he’s real slick playing this – I’m a lobbyist-political consultant-eric’s errand boy- oh, and I’m really, really Republican.

Time is running out dave.

Isn’t Bull a big Cagle supporter? I wonder what he thinks of Simons teeing off like this on one of his boys?

12. SpaceyG says:

Ya know, they say conservatives can’t do comedy. That PJ O’Rourke was a fluke. Stuff like that. I gotta tell you I’m starting to think they’re, uh, wrong. This thread made me chortle long time, but don’t tell anyone, k?

And the best part? Having practiced my Peach Pundit Kegels, I can chortle with confidence in any social setting.

13. Icarus says:

Spacey,

Conservatives are allowed to have a little spontaneous fun, as long as it’s for no more than 20 minutes, and between 3 & 5 on a Friday.

14. Bull Moose says:

Okay, taking a hiatus break here.

1. I didn’t know that Dave disliked me. I have no opinion either way of Dave. I disagree with some of his tactics, but that’s neither here nor there.

2. I consider both Eric and Ron friends. There is no personal animosity whatsoever between us. Dave is just making this up.

3. I have never personally met Susu Cox.

4. Lori Brady did email her political consultant in 2004 and ask him “to destroy me”. I did not agree with that tactic, I thought it was an inappropriate tactic, but she is doing a good job on the school board NOW.

5. This type of smear politics does not work in Savannah and it’s unfortunate my opponent has decided to take the race in this direction.

Thanks for the words of support and back to the campaign trail!

15. Bull Moose says:

As well, I think that my post in regards to his multiple role in Atlanta during this past General Session probably ruffled his feathers.

16. drjay says:

Erick // Aug 17, 2007 at 5:35 pm

FYI: Dave Simons is a good friend of mine. Just saying.

“just saying” what exactly???

17. John Konop says:

I will give money now to Bull Moose. I do not always agree with you but we need more independent thinkers like you representing us. I will also give you free button on my site and I hope the rest of you with blogs do the same!

18. I Am Jacks Post says:

It took me all of 5 seconds to learn this guy Simons is a Democrat who works to elect Democrats.

Why should/would any Republican give a crap about what he says about Clint?

BTW, I found some of Simons old columns online. Let me tell you–this guy is hands-down the next recipient of the annual “Matt Towery Award for Shameless Self-Promotion.” The best was a column in which he listed 2004’s political winners and losers. The winners were all clients of his–shocker.

Dave Simons rips Clint, and a tree falls in the forest but no one is there to hear it. Let’s all move on.

19. For the record, Clint Murphy is a friend and supporter. If elected, he will serve the district well. This is not an endorsement. I endorsed his opponent when he told me directly that he was not running. But I wanted to speak directly to the comments and Dave Simons’ e-mail.

20. Bull Moose says:

Thank you for those words Eric, I appreciate it. Negative politics is destructive and discourages people from participating in the democratic process.

For those of you who do not know, I did change my mind about running for this seat. I did so because of my concern for our community and the dissapointment I had in the candidate I was going to support. I will briefly outline what happened.

In May when I indicated my support to Mary Ellen, I told her I wanted to sit down with her and talk to her about transportation issues. I never heard from her!

At a forum in July, I approached her about her positions on transportation issues and she seemed unmoved when I offered again to sit down with her.

Then I mentioned to her that I had heard she told people she “pressured” me not to run. When I asked her about this, she told me point blank, “You can still run if you want to.” If that’s her opinion now of constituents and she’s a candidate, can you imagine what it would be like as someone in office?

Then and only then did I decide to reconsider running for this seat. The candidate running, whom I thought I could support was indifferent to the issue of transportation and that is one of the top issues facing our community.

I’m running a positive campaign for Savannah’s future and will be successful in November.

Thank you and stay tuned.

21. dingleberry says:

See! Bull Moose has already admitted to flip-flopping on one issue!

Bull, you and Mitt Romney need to start a flip-floppers anonymous group.

Mary Ellen Sprague ’07
    Because Bull Moose is full of Bull Sh*t!

22. GOP Girl says:

The article that Romegaguy refers to is tried and true. We have some awesome folks in Savannah that would be perfect for political office. But who wants the headache? Who wants to put theirselves and family thru a fence of barbed wire for a thankless public service job? Not me. And unfortunately, not most people as well.

No Dave Simons is not a Democrat. And if I were to ever embrace the deranged idea to run for office, he’d be my first choice for point man.
    Say what you want about the man, but the cold fact is that he produces results for his employers.

Berry, you are a pile of Dingle. This is one race that SPG won’t collect for the record books. Bull Moose has already won, so get used to it. And in my opinion, it’s a positive win for Savannah.