Anybody go to the Varsity to see Mitt?

I had hoped to go but work got in the way.

Any eyewitness reports?

UPDATE: Robert Stacey McCain at the Washington Times posted this information gleaned mostly from Tech Student (and event volunteer) Ruth Malhotra:

UPDATE 3 p.m.: Ruth reports that, despite the handicap of being a Yankee from Massachusetts, Mr. Romney demonstrated fluency in Varsity lingo, joking about a “naked dog,” and even making a witticism about how nice it was to be in a place where “PC” doesn’t stand for political correctness (order a “PC” at the Varsity and you’ll get “plain chocolate,” i.e., chocolate milk).

Alas, the governor — didn’t actually get to eat. “Close to 500 people” including “a ton of media” turned out for the event, Ruth reports, and “the crowd was so big, he never did make it to the counter.” He sat next to campaign volunteer Lisa Bilz at the meet-and-greet, and gave “about a 15 or 20 minute speech,” Mrs. Bilz said. Mr. Romney didn’t stay long in Atlanta, immediately returning to Peachtree-DeKalb Airport to fly on to Florida. We’ll update again if more details become available. — RSM

UPDATE: Here a video from Georgians For Romney. Ric has video of Romney’s speech which you can see by clicking here.

1. Demonbeck says:

Stop lying, Mike-el, after he stopped giggling from when the lady at the cash register said, “ya’ll,” he ordered a lobster roll with Heinz-Kerry ketchup.

2. dcraigwhite says:

I got there at 12:24, didn’t get in until 12:31 or so, parking was horrendous!

I walked in the door (farthest from the counters/closest to the lot) and that’s just about as far as I got. The large room off of the main corridor was jam packed, whatever maximum capacity was, multiply it by 2. I eventually wedged my way in, and caught the final “two legs” of the “three legs of Conservatism” stump speech. Mitt then tried to make his way through the crowd. I got some great pictures, and then a “security officer” of some sort came and tried to escort him through the hundreds of supprters still waiting to say hello. I was the next picture in line…of course!

Mitt eventually made it through to the press area where he briefed the media. Here were several of the question topics:

CNN/YouTube Debate
    Financial Portfolio
    John McCain – state of campaign
    Iowa Straw Poll – real victory?

I then hung around and got my picture taken with Jim Galloway and Tom Baxter. That was cool.

Total in attendance, I’d say right at or over 500. I have never, never seen the Varsity so full. I’ve been during the Olympics and during the Braves 1995 NLDS. It was surprising. Good work Eric Tannenblatt and team!

3. Ric Mayfield says:

I will have video tonight on the Georgians for Romney blog. The report above is dead-on. Overwhelming response. 500 is a good estimate.

4. Skeptical says:

Joking about a “naked dog”…hope it wasn’t tied to the top of his car on a cross country trip…

5. Icarus says:

I’ve got to give credit to Mitt on the trip with the dog,

At least he learned from Chevy Chase not to tie him to the rear bumper. The dog got to ride in style, just like Aunt Edna.

6. rugby_fan says:

I was also informing every woman I know that they can feel better just by following the link on the side Peach Pundit.

Will someone please buy an add so we needn’t be subjected to such ads?

I feel like GOPeach now.

7. SpaceyG says:

Is it just me or is PP growing a sense of humor? I suppose weirder things have happened… dang… that was a darn good one Romedude!

8. Loren says:

The AJC said there would be free hot dogs. I got there about 12:30, and there was no indication of free food or how to get free food. So I listened to the latter half of the speech, and then had to pay for my own naked dog.

9. kbernhard says:

Everyone who RSVPed (I did it through the link on the Georgians for Romney blog) got a voucher for a free meal. So not only were there free hotdogs, but also free onion rings, frosted oranges, etc for those who planned a little in advance.

10. Fantastic event! When a campaign can completely fill up the upstairs of the Varsity, it says something. Grassroots support for WMR is abounding throughout Georgia. I sent out the invite to my friends on facebook, and people that are nonpolitical responded with there feelings of support for WMR. This marathon is well on its way!

11. jeffgator says:

I made it to the Varsity today. Mitt’s stump speach was what you expect and was nearly word for word what he says elsewhere. No biggie.

I did have the luck of timing on my way out of the Varsity to walk up on Mitt being interviewed at his car by the Fox 5 reporter Russ Spencer for just a minute or two. I was really surprised as I looked around as there were only about 3-4 onlookers and then about 4-5 campaign staff / camera guy, etc.

As Mitt turned to get in the car a guy walked up and started blurbing to Mitt about the Ames poll and the FairTax. I couldn’t understand the question as the guy was obviously excited to be talking to potentially the next president at a distance of a few feet. Mitt looked up at the guy and said “The FairTax? I like it, I really like the FairTax” Then he sat back in the car and they closed the doors and drove away.

I’ll be interested to see if Russ Spencer comments on these candid remarks in his covering of the visit.

12. ChuckEaton says:

I’m a little dissapointed there hasn’t been a comment from Bill Simon regarding the video and the 3 Varsity questions that, if answered correctly, will get you an honorary degree from Georgia Tech.