Iowa Straw Poll

The results are in from Ames, Iowa:

Mitt Romney — 4516 (31.5%)
Mike Huckabee — 2587 (18.1%)
Sam Brownback — 2192 (15.3%)
Tom Tancredo — 1961 (13.7%)
Ron Paul — 1305 (9.1%)
Tommy Thompson — 1039 (7.3%)
Fred Thompson — 203 (1.4%)
Rudy Giuliani — 183 (1.3%)
Duncan Hunter — 174 (1.2%)
John McCain — 101 (1%)
John Cox — 41 (0.1%)

1. Jace Walden says:

I know it’s just a straw poll and it means absolutely nothing, but I think it’s awesome that Ron Paul beat 3/4 of the Rudy McRomney-Thompson candidate!

In fact, he had more votes and Fred?, McCain, and Rudy combined.

Sure, it’s meaningless…but still AWESOME.

2. buzzbrockway says:

Most blogs I’ve read say Huckabee gained the most tonight. He was outspent by Romney and Brownback yet finished second. We’ll see if this gives him a boost.

Fred! did the best of those not present – Duncan Hunter the worst of those who were present. Rudy’s people are claiming the results prove him the best nominee.

Tommy Thompson apparently said he’s drop out if he didn’t finish second or third. Brownback, Hunter, Tancredo and Paul should follow T. Thompson and do the same IMHO.

3. DAMY46 says:

Fred has lost his Hollywood ‘sex appeal’.

(He can’t pull the votes and he can’t beat Hillary)

What can I say………..

Next……………

4. hankreardan says:

I think Paul should wait a little longer. He seems to be gaining speed.But if he can not climb above 5% in the next 6-8 weeks he should also exit stage left. If you read the Iowa blogs there seems to be abit of a surprise of how many supporters. Ron Paul brought to AMES. The other thing is Ron Paul is on the upswing when it comes to money in the bank.

5. YourFutureLeader says:

Huckabee for sure gained the most tonight but, Buzz why should Tancredo drop out polling in 13.7% has to be a nice lift for his campaign, do you not think?

6. Archibald Bulloch says:

Huckabee might very well place 3rd in the actual caucuses given this showing. I certainly think he can out-do McCain and probably even Rudy or Fred.

7. jm says:

Guiliani’s guy must have not actually read the results, or didn’t graduate high school, or something. Most embarrassing showing for a prominent Republican since Ashcroft lost to a dead guy.

Tooting his own horn as a hero sounded like a good idea at the time, but it only works if the real heroes play along.

8. waterboy says:

I find it strange that Romney pulls nearly 1/3 of the Iowa straw poll vote and none of the pundits here want to give him credit for an outstanding showing. When it comes to momentum builders, this straw poll is it – and Romney has it.

9. eburke says:

I am very pleased at Gov. Huckabee’s showing. I have been waiting for him to catch some traction. I like his stand on virtually every issue.

10. Jason Pye says:

How can you take it seriously when Giuliani didn’t participate?

11. waterboy says:

Jason –
    Rudy and McCain knew they would get smoked…and they did. How can you take candidates seriously that take their ball and go home? Romney worked hard and it showed yesterday. Give credit where it is due. If Fred Thompson or other southern favorites won this thing y’all would be turning cartwheels.

12. Jason Pye says:

All this does is measure organization. I think you are getting a little too excited over this. Romney probably won’t be the nominee. Especially as people find out more about him.

Rudy and McCain knew they would get smoked

13. IndyInjun says:

Ron Paul opposed ethanol in Iowa and still was 5th.

He does not change his tune on account of the turf or conditions.

RomFredLiani is wearing the uniform of the Bush Brownshirt party or are they that color from where their noses are stuck?

14. Carpe Forem says:

Good point Indy

New Hampshire and South Carolina should be a much better fit for Rep. Ron Paul. Maybe he’ll get an endorsement for Gov. Mark Sanford, another fiscally responsible, constitutional libertarian conservative Republican.

15. Icarus says:

Ron Paul smoked McCain?

I’m not sure I’m familair with this drug, but does he want it legalized too?

16. Mike-El says:

I’m feeling you, waterboy…in that part of the strategy in the other guys’ bailing is their hope that an “uncontested” Romney win would be seen as unimpressive and act as a smokescreen for their punking out. And it appears to be working.

17. Mike Hauncho says:

What is surprising is that McCain received only 60 more votes than John Cox. Who the hell is John Cox? Actually, I had the privillege of meeting Mr. Cox at the GA GOP convention when he blessed us with his apperence. He is a joke and so is the McCain train when you get that few votes.

18. I Am Jacks Post says:

Suing over voting machines? Feeding a diapered monkey? Team Paul is all class.

From the Washington Post