Can I Bum a Smoke?

Seriously guys, after reading these polls by Phillip Morris I am really considering changing my tune on cigarettes. I thought a tax increase on smoking sounded like a good idea, but that was before I considered how we could just close the loophole that allows Wall Street investors to avoid paying taxes on their stock gains — I wonder how uncomfortable the Altria lobbyist was at the business roundtable luncheon that week when the rest of the Chamber got secondhand wind of that little idea?

Anyway, I bring this up to talk about John Barrow. Bill Shipp hinted last week that Bob Young of Augusta may be eyeing Paul Broun in a Republican primary instead of Barrow in the general election, and now comes word that Fleming might be doing the same thing. John Barrow may just be the biggest benefactor of Broun’s surprise upset, afterall Republicans forget that Barrow’s district does lean Democratic and now he’s a two term incumbent who has withstood hundreds of thousands of dollars of attack ads over a four year period.

How well has he withstood those attacks? Pretty well if you ask me. Even though only 12% of Georgia’s 12th district rate the job Congress is doing as Excellent or Good, nearly 63% give Barrow good marks (Very or somewhat positive) and only 5% feel very negatively about him. Sure 23% answer somewhat negative but they’ve seen more negative ads on John Barrow in the last 4 years than they have about the McRib Comeback Tour.

With Democrats controlling Congress and it seeming increasingly unlikely that they’ll lose that grip, Barrow should raise a significant amount of money this election cycle…even more than his pretty significant haul last time. Meanwhile, Broun finds himself in the minority party and in a seat that isn’t likely to switch whether he wins the primary or not (actually I would say less likely if he is not the nominee). Since I think it’s relatively easy for a guy like Bob Young to raise a million or so bucks regardless of whether he runs in the 12th or the 10th, why wouldn’t he want to go after someone in a Republican primary where those bucks go further and pack a bigger bang. But what do you guys think?

1. CobbGOPer says:

“…why would he want to go after someone in a Republican primary where those bucks go further and pack a bigger bang.”

Huh? You’re not making sense.

2. GAWire says:

“””… loophole that allows Wall Street investors to avoid paying taxes on their stock gains”””

Give me a break, Chris. How ’bout this, put your life as a campaign gypsy on hold, go back to school and learn a thing or two, especially about what you refer to as “Wall Street investors.” Then come back and talk. I know working on campaigns makes you an expert on everything, but before you move on to that subject, you may want to consider specializing in something other than Leviathan.

3. Doug Deal says:

I like how they used the term “Wall Street investor” instead of just “investors”. People buying and selling stock then think “I live nowhere near NYC, let’s get them.”

What PM really means is “Every investor in the country”. Perhaps someone else should commission a poll that asks “Do you think Phillip Morris is right when they want to make it even more difficult for people to invest by increasing the regulatory and tax compliance requirements so that people who polute our air and expose children to noxious chemicals can save a scant $0.61 cents on a pack of cancer causing cigarettes?”

4. Hey GAWire, I mean David Shafer, I was just apeing the language in the Phillip Morris polls. How bout putting your life as a non-reader on hold and RTFP I linked.

*RTFP = Read the F***ing Poll

5. Lee Benedict says:

Why are potential GOP challengers lining up to challenge Paul Broun? He was sworn in a couple of weeks ago! Give the man a chance, and after several months of speaking and voting, if for whatever reason one wishes to challenge him, so be it. Paul Broun took nothing for granted and did not simply go through the motions; he appeared at the forums, went to where the people were, and ran through the tape (campaigned until 7pm on 7/17). Perhaps I’m missing something, but why is there a sense of urgency to find someone to challenge Broun in a primary? Is it sour grapes for winning an election that most awarded the victory to prior to qualifying? Is it because he is from Athens and hence the CSRA thinks that he will do nothing for us? What is it?
    If you recall the many Whitehead supporters whining that many candidates who QUALIFIED for the 6/19 election did not live in CD 10, how many of those very people will do the same if Bob Young chooses to run for a CD in which he does not live?
    Speaking of Bob Young, from what I recall, he was not a very good and effective mayor. Yes, he had/has some good attributes, but he is no Deke. Deke has a very good chance to win any election he chooses to enter.

6. Know Nothing says:

People who speak about the FET increase usually miss the mark. The debate should be: “should the government increase the FET on cigarettes because they are harmful”, it should be: “should the government raise the FET on cigarettes in order to expand SCHIP to cover those families who make in excess of $80,000 a year for a family of four.

and chris, are you an idiot? Why should we change the capital gains tax from 15% on private equity firms to somewhere around 37%?

Surely those macroeconomic classes would have taught you the fiscal implications of such a restriction on free capital.

7. GAWire says:

Chris, I RTFP.

Personally, I like the idea of a tax increase. I think we should raise taxes in Gwinnett and Fulton Counties, especially on things like food that makes people fat.

Now, I have to get back to my constituents.

8. Archibald Bulloch says:

Chris, I agree. I was talking to a friend yesterday and he was explaining that the Augusta constituency in the 10th is a more natural constituency for someone like Young.

If a Republican is going to win the 12th, it seems like he/she should from the area between Augusta and Savannah or Savannah. The Augusta part in the 12th is nearly unwinnable for a Republican.

It’s better to have a natural base somewhere like Sylvania or Vidalia or Statesboro.

9. All you guys who think I’m advocating a capital gains tax increase or something similar, please read the poll. You will see that Phillip Morris is the one using misleading poll questions to make it seem like residents of various Congressional districts support raising these (and other taxes) instead of cigarette taxes.

I was simply making fun of Phillip Morris, not advocating anything on my own behalf. Though I do think any Republican who wants to run for Congress and lives in or near the 10th district should take a serious look at Paul Broun in a primary. I think that’s the “best” way to get to Congress for a Republican in Georgia who’s not currently a member of that body.

10. Common Sense says:

FYI the tax is on hedge fund managers who game the system so their salary gets taxed as capital gains rather than income. These are only people who make 50 plus million a year

11. gatormathis says:

A “hedge fund manager” type salary, now that’s a ticket.

I saw in the Parade magazine where a “hedge fund manager” made four hundred thirty-two million dollars in a year. That’s $432,000,000.00 , per annum.

I would first wonder who he “hedges” these funds for, was it one person, a company, or several.

When is the last time you saw a pay stub for over a million dollars a day, every day of the year, Saturday, Sunday, holiday or not. Pretty good wages, and they don’t like nobody taxing them to much, either.

Funny though, if he hedges a lot of municipal bonds, taxes are the sole reason they exist, and they gotta come from somewhere.

I just wonder how much money he made off the Government, that went into his succesful portfolio.

Is there a website where maybe I can view this?

Or is it something a nosey reporter might know?

With New York/New York City drawing as much as $300,000 per acre off of South Georgia tobacco, I’m sure they want this to continue as long as possible.

The farmer’s “gross” is less that three-thousand per acre, so you know he isn’t getting much money for making others so rich. He grows it and gets spat at.

The NY/NYC governments rake in a massive royalty, and never have to ever even see the product.

I bet life in their approach is a lot more successful.

Success makes money pile up, which needs to be “hedge-funded”, all while being banked somewhere.

Which brings us to some more, successful folks…………..

Which got me the thinking, I bet every acre of tobacco grown, which you get usually a crop per year could turn about 1 million in revenue by the time it is burned up.

A million dollars a year, an acre, for ‘baccer ashes and spit………

And we wonder why things are so crazy……..