SCLC to “honor” Mike Vick.

Different strokes for different folks? I think not. Hat Tip: Senator Shafer

During a press conference announcing the opening of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference’s 49th annual convention to celebrate the organization’s 50th year, president Charles Steele noted that the organization would find some way to honor and recognize the embattled Falcon’s quarterback who is under federal indictment on dogfighting charges.

“We will work with anyone who opens their heart and arms to us,” said Steele.

Steele added that it still isn’t clear how Vick will be honored and it is uncertain that Vick will attend any of the conference’s events, which run through Wednesday.

1. TPSoCal says:

Can someone please explain why the SCLC would find it necessary to “honor” a multi-millionaire who seems to enjoy the torture of animals? I am not sure how dog fighting fits into their mission statement.

2. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

I wonder if they’ve ever honored Warrick Dunn, who is actually committed to helping people without seeking the spotlight?

3. David says:

It’s the black culture sticking together against the “man.” Typical and sickening. Why the hell would they find O.J. not guilty or re-elect a cocaine snorting thug like Marion Barry? Not surprising in the least. I wonder what the NAACP is gonna do to “honor” Vick?

4. SouthFultonGuy says:

David,

First of all the NAACP or the SCLC does not speak for me any more that the ACLU or PETA does for you.

All black folks do not drink the Kool-aide you imply. I for one do not.

As there is a propensity to pile on to black folks innocent or guilty, there is a naturally developed defensive response from some.

I believe in self accountability and responsibility for myself and happen to be and vote conservatively.

I doubt you care to answer for every crime committed by non-blacks.

This mentality is precisely why the republican party cannot attract conservative or moderate black people.

Hiding in the midst of some wearing the conservative banner are some with “rouge ” necks. I hope that is not the case with you.

5. atlantaman says:

Unfortunately the whole civil-rights movement has been marginalized into whores looking for their next “john”. Defending social injustices was compromised long ago as they continue falling over each other to ride the next wave of publicity beyond the undertow of irrelevance.

6. SouthFultonGuy says:

Atlantaman,

Thats true that most of the so-called Civils Rights are pimping Black folks to line their own pockets.

The media and many of all races empower these pimps or race warlords by recognizing them as leaders.

That does not nevertheless mean that injustices do not still occur and people are still judged by the color of their skin rather than the content of their character.

I did not nominate them to represent me, so I resent those that judge me based on their actions.

7. atlantaman says:

SouthFultonGuy-

I think you and I are pretty much saying the same thing – which is why I clearly stated “defending” social injustices was compromised long ago.

To nominate Mike Vick for anything is just an attempt to ride the latest wave of publicity. It’s not very hard to come up with blacks to honor – they can start with all those guys who wasted their much of their lives in prison only to be cleared with DNA evidence later. Their forgiving attitudes are both astounding and a true lesson for the rest of mankind – deserving of honor.

Of maybe if more doctors, lawyers and accountants received honor and accolades by groups like the SCLC instead of somebody who happens to run well on a football field or can dunk a basketball we might have a higher percentage of black males at UGA.

8. SouthFultonGuy says:

I did and do agree with you atlantaman. The problem with honoring those that accomplished something in spite of the odds is they don’t fit the template of victimhood that justifies those organizations existance.

Athletes who achieve also fit the prejudiced false template that they and performing artists are the only way to get off of the plantation of poverty and that all black males commit crimes and rape women.

Black intelletuals are more likely to espouse the value of self achievement, hard work, and determination dispite incumberances than worship these so called leaders who claim to still be relevant.

9. son of awcomeonnow says:

I saw a very effective protest years ago, in
    a stadium holding over 50,000 people.
    The event was the graduation ceremony for
    Ohio State, and the keynote speaker for the
    occasion was Daniel Patrick Moynihan.
    It was 12 years after Moynihan had made his
    statements concerning the looming crisis from
    single parent households in the black community.
    What occurred when he spoke was a very
    effective statement, although misguided (my
    opinion).
    As soon as Moynihan got up to speak, the
    ENTIRE black student population stood up and
    turned their backs to him-for the entire speech.
    Maybe it’s time for people to start turning
    their backs on the persons who profit from
    using them.