1. shrike071 says:

Spacey –
    You make me wonder who you are and if we’ve crossed paths in our careers….

I have shot numerous long-format ‘formal’ interviews with both Bernie Marcus and Arthur Blank and I was really struck by the character of these guys. Bernie Marcus especially – he seems like my kind of person. Truly someone you would want to hang-out with.

IMHO – the best thing that they could have done is sideline Vick before the NFL did. But that’s neither here nor there, and it’ll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

2. SpaceyG says:

Yeah, they really were an inspirational force/duo to be reckoned with, Bernie and Arthur. We’re lucky to have had time with ’em.

I left HDTV in ’03, so we may not have crossed paths.

3. buzzbrockway says:

Well said Spacey.

The sportstalk guys were talking about how Blank considered himself a surrogate father to Vick, and that Vick’s actions (not just the dog fighting, but the photo of him smoking a joint, the airport things etc..) have really disappointed Blank. You could see it in his face at the press conference. Blank also referred to Vick as “the player” not Micheal – a sign of just how crushed Blank is.

Vick will never take another snap as a Falcon, even if he’s exonerated.

4. Donkey Kong says:

Spacey,

Great post. Interestingly, I wrote a comment for another thread on this exact thing–folks like Vick (and Paris Hilton, et al) give successful people like Blank and Marcus a bad image. The mainstream tends to lump the “wealthy” in a group, and the hard-working, humble folks like Blank and Buffet, Marcus and Gates, are smeared because of the infidelities of people like Vick. I decided not to post my comment because I ran out of time to finish it at the time, but thanks for finishing what I started (and having it on the front page).

5. M.P.E. says:

As usual, great post. The “what’s the big deal about a few dogs” argument holds no weight when you consider the people Vick let down. Good job Spacey!

6. SpaceyG says:

Actually, Larry David does come to mind… and the dude who wrote the Sopranos. So yeah, I’m wrong, you’re right Memberg. But I gotta say, they are THE exceptions to the rule. It’s a semi blue-collar profession when you get down to it. And heavily unionized too, although living in GA, a right-to-work state, I was never in a union. Although if I was in NY or LA for instance, I’d be in the Writers’ Guild I suppose.

7. SpaceyG says:

Well, if you were a bit-time Seinfield fan, you’d know him. But then again, that’s kinda a boutique-y fame. But fortune? Yes, absolutely.

8. memberg says:

And you’re definitely right – those are the exceptions, especially when you consider the entire off-screen crew.

But c’mon, primetime TV producers are rollin’ in it and have been for years.

9. SpaceyG says:

Yeah, you’re right. Wish I’d been one of those… sigh. But again, I’m talking the Joe Blow production geeks: cable pullers, set builders, truck drivers (they’re all Teamsters), camera operators, grips, hair stylists, audio techs, engineers, that sorta thing. I should have clarified that a bit more. Thanks for, what’s that yada Anderson Cooper says in that tag line, “keeping ’em honest”?

10. Icarus says:

“I always wanted to be a Best Boy Dolly Gaffer Grip.”

Always? I think that’s only been legal in this state for about 5 years.

11. Icarus says:

Does anyone think Seabaugh knows he pushed a bill to promote more Best Boy Dolly Gaffer Grips?

12. drjay says:

based on the very ltd. experience i had w/ professional acting and t.v. production most of the “behind the scenes guys” –lighting, props, etc…were either old salts or young guys w/ tattoos and large biceps–they kinda reminded me of dock workers–it was indeed very blue collar–the “production types”–asst. directors, casting folks, etc–were mostly young professional–right out of college, 1st job types–mostly cleancut, kinda middle class–but one of the asst. directors described his life in l.a. and it made me nervous just listening–his pay scale was based on how he was listed on the production crew from week to week–certain titles get higher scale-apparently–and he talked about a commercial he had directed the previous month that paid several thousand dollars–only took 3 days–but they were the only 3 days he worked that month–the thing that most excited him about shooting the pilot in savannah was the 6 weeks of steady work it provided including the pre and post production back in california. it was interesting to say the least…he certainly was not getting rich of his trade…