Save The Debate

Apparently, the response by the GOP Presidential hopefuls to the CNN/You Tube debate has been almost as weak as that melting/talking snowman’s question. To try to stir up interest amongst the GOPers, a group of Republicans led by Patrick Ruffini and our own Erick Erickson have launched a petition drive to “Save the Republican CNN/You Tube Debate.”

Some Republicans are talking about ditching the long-planned YouTube debate, like the Democrats and Fox News. As concerned Republicans, we respectfully ask them to reconsider. Republicans cannot surrender to Democrats on any front — least of all new media — or we may well lose in 2008.

I’ve signed it and I hope you will as well.

Why don’t we come up with a question (or questions) to submit for the debate?

1. I Am Jacks Post says:

I have to disagree. That youtube debate was so bad it was laughable, and not just because they focused on silly democrat issues like cruelty-free apples and melting snowmen.

2. YourFutureLeader says:

I disgaree I thought the debate was both interesting and very good. Many candidates came off very well and others not so well. I strongly urge the Republicans to not be stupid and go on with this debate. This wont be seen as a slap at the Dems for ditching the Fox News Debate, but rather a slap in the face of the voters.

3. Bull Moose says:

I thought the You Tube debate was EXCELLENT! It’s OUR debate!

There is no excuse for Republicans skipping this debate.

Sign The Petition.

4. I Am Jacks Post says:

So you guys thought the Snowman question about global warming was pretty good, and by “pretty good” I mean relevant? Should we also have Bert and Ernie asking questions about domestic partnerships?

Honestly, scan 10 random MySpace pages. You want these people posing questions of our candidates?

I’m no fan of the tired old hacks who make up the 4th estate, but at least they bring some form of dignity to a debate.

5. The Comma Guy says:

You know – that’s a good point. We really don’t want the masses getting involved in the election process, much less voting, right? Just the select chosen ones whom the traditional Media believes worthy.

Yes, it’s a gimmick. But if it gets people interested and wanting to take their government back, I see nothing wrong. The only people who fear this are those who want to keep things the same.

6. jsm says:

Here’s a question that for sure wouldn’t make the cut:

“What do you believe are the core purposes of government?”

7. I Am Jacks Post says:

Fine, I’ll be the cynic and say, hell no, I don’t want “the masses” getting involved in the election process, much less voting. The good news is, no matter how loud they are or how many paper mache puppets they build, we’ve got nothing to worry about because they never turn out to vote.

To dig myself an even deeper hole with those who support “turning out the masses,” I think voters should be required to answer a few questions before voting: Name your congressman, in which year was our country founded, etc. Why shouldn

8. DMZDave says:

If CNN wants to go with the Youtube format, then they should buy the whole deal and let the viewers and not CNN decide which questions get asked. Folks should put up their questions on Youtube and then we can all vote for which questions we’d like to hear asked keeping the results and number of views secret until the actual debate. The candidates could obviously go online and see the questions but there could be thousands of submissions and it would probably also be a good exercise for them to prepare for the hundreds of questions that woudl be posted to youtube.

9. DMZDave,

That sounds good in theory, but they talked about that before the debate started. The most “popular” question had to do with Schwarzeneggar being an android and saving the country. Also, you would have to contend with candidates or activists having organized efforts to manipulate the votes.

Voting on the questions would work only if they could have some type of scientifically valid telephone poll or market research study to get input.

And, while leery of CNN’s ability to judiciously select questions (e.g., the 10 minutes of questions and follow-up on gay marriage), I’m very much in favor of the GOP participating. They need to reach as many people as possible based on current polling figures.

10. Harry says:

Hopefully CNN would put the tough questions to the top tier – unlike they managed not to do with Hillory/Obama/Edwards.

11. JRM2016 says:

No one is paying attention to any of these debates other than political junkies/bloggers/media types. The voters might start to in January.

12. souldrift says:

This will NOT be seen as a slap at the Dems for ditching Fox because CNN is not viewed as being as partisan as Fox.

Just my opinion.

13. YourFutureLeader says:

If Republicans skip this debate, I dont think they can win in 08. The Dems are going to hammer them on this, about how they dont think the American public is smart, they dont trust the American public, they are unpatriotic, they hate the average citizens, they are all rich elitist snobs who dont think your good enough to ask “them” questions. All the Dem campaigns are praying they skip this debate.

14. Harry says:

You must be kidding…the public knows the difference between staged media stunts and a real debate of issues.

15. They should just make the Republicans answer the same questions as the Democrats.

And then solicit Republican quesitons, make the GOP candidates go first and then let the Democrats have a stab at it.

Or vice versa, shift it around etc. Smart candidates though will start soliciting questions on their own and answer them on their websites. No need to wait for CNN to ask the question anymore.