Kleptocracy in Atlanta

Things like this don’t actually surprise me anymore.

For the past five years, Atlanta City Councilman H. Lamar Willis has solicited donors for a foundation he says he created to give scholarships to Atlanta students. The H. Lamar Willis Foundation has told major corporations

1. GabrielSterling says:

I saw a TV commercial for this “foundation” this morning. The logo looks like a yardsign for Willis. I had the sound down so it looked, at first, like a political ad. At the end he’s standing there, over his logo which is basically his name in a yeardsign format. Then at the bottom are four corporate logos who obviously underwrite the ad. can’t recall which four they are now.

2. SpaceyG says:

Speak for yourself. This kinda stuff should surprise and shock. My City of Atlanta councilperson, Felicia Moore, is someone I know, campaigned for years ago, see often around the city at various meetings and functions, and follow her trail of hard, hard, utterly thankless work on behalf of our district. I would be totally shocked and devestated to ever hear of Ms. Moore engaging in ANY nefarious, dubious activity. Don’t paint with such a large brush. Graft, alledged or otherwise, is not a contagious disease.

Erick, I’m gonna come down there one day and personally snatch you ball-headed.

3. Donkey Kong says:

Spacey,

C’mon, though. Are you really surprised by nefarious activity by Atlanta officials?

4. SouthFultonGuy says:

A number of folks also believe the pro-city of South Fulton Group “South Fulton Concerned Citizens” is also not properly registered as a non-profit with the Feds.

They don’t show up on the non-profit information site http://www.guidestar.org

Where can one check if they are legitimately registered with the IRS as a non-profit?

5. rugby_fan says:

“Most generalizations I see are from liberals spewing nonsense about conspiracies and the trolls on Fox news.”

Wow, not a generalization there mate.

6. drjay says:

what’s the point of being on the city council if you can’t create organizations like this for the benefit of all.

have you not started setting up the erickson “scholarship fund” in macon yet–you already have a logo–right?