Libertarians Rejoice

Paul Broun voted with the Democrats on the medical marijuana bill. Every other Georgia Republican voted against it.

He was unpersuaded to change his vote.

The vote was on the Hinchey amendment to the Department of Justice’s Appropriations Bill. The DOJ has sought to use funds to prevent states from setting up medical marijuana programs. Rep. Hinchey’s legislation would have preventing the DOJ from stopping states from setting up medical marijuana programs.

The amendment failed 165 to 262.

Paul Broun voted to stop the DOJ.

1. Romegaguy says:

Well praise God!!! Who better to know about medical marijuana than a Dr? Maybe he will vote to buy all of our children a Harry Potter book, too!

BTW, I am guessing some Democrats voted against the amendment otherwise it would have passed. Especially with the good Doctor’s vote.

2. joe says:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

If you do not believe in the Constitution, please, by all means, talk bad about Dr. Broun’s first vote.

3. Georgia Girl says:

Well, what a surprise! Leave it to Paul Broun to look like an idiot during his first day in Congress. While he has always seemed like a fool, I never would have thought that it would be so apparent this quickly. Hopefully, Paul will continue to vote like this because he will easily be replaced in 2008. Congrats Paul Broun, you are on your way to enjoying your only year in Congress! I certainly hope that one year is worth $200,000 of your own money. Keep up the GREAT work!

4. Bull Moose says:

It is refreshing to have think for yourself non-establishment representation from Georgia in the US House.

5. Paul Shuford says:

Wow, a Republican in Georgia who actually respects the US Constitution, instead of pandering to religious fundamentalists that know as much about medicine as they do about nuclear physics. I think I’ll be sending a donation to Dr. Broun for his next campaign.

6. profg says:

(Shh, Donkey Kong… don’t say “federalists”… Mr. West, who pretends to be one, might come out of the shadows…)

BG

7. Donkey Kong says:

Bill,

Haha, Mr. West, who I assume is “Federalist” on PP, is about as close to a real federalist as Hugo Chavez. They don’t really believe in “states’ rights” as they do in “State Rights.”

8. drjay says:

i think i generally agree w/dr. broun on this vote as well–i know medical marijuana is a bit of a hot potato but i do wish it was dealt w/ a little more rationally by he powers that be

9. Jason Pye says:

My step-dad is a conservative and an ordained minister…and he believes medicinal marijuana should be legal.

He watched his first wife suffer with cancer and he believes that had it been available, the pain might not have been as bad.

10. Joy says:

Big round of applause to Broun. He’s not just standing up against the politicians, but the religious machine. That man has guts… I’m glad to have been wrong in my assumptions about him.

11. Indy says:

Excellent! EXCELLENT! You better believe that Whitehead would have voted the way the Republican house “leadership” told him to.

We need more Reps. like Broun. I think I might like this guy.

12. Donkey Kong says:

Indy,

I’m certain that I’m coming around. I was never sold against him, but I didn’t really trust him. He earned some trust today.

13. In the loop says:

We Athenians are proud to be constitutents of Rep. Paul “Cheech” Broun, R-Haight-Ashbury.

14. liberator says:

Way to go Rep Broun. Most Republicans talk the small government pro-liberty game,but fail to walk the talk. They really want more government and less freedom on personal freedom issues. Notice I never use the term social issues,as those issues are actually personal freedom issues ie… You are either for freedom or fascism.

15. Nail13 says:

Paul Broun with his 1st vote proves that he remembers his “oath of office” was to the Constitution and not the party, not his collegues and not the polls. How refreshing.