A little Peach Pundit advice please…

…Believe it or not, I consider y’all a rather sophisticated bunch of individuals, so I need some advice.

What is a good white wine?

Particularly, what is a good white wine that can go with just about any meal?

And yes, I know this has nothing to do with politics, but this is a very pressing issue on my mind right now and I don’t want to screw it up.

1. rugby_fan says:

I only drink White Wines to get to the Reds.

Andre, if you are trying to impress someone, go bold and have an unorthodox pairing of Reds with chicken, fish, or something otherwise unexpected.

Besides, if you want an everyday White Wine, choose a Red.

2. Icarus says:

The people here know a lot more about whine than wine, myself included.

Kendall Jackson and Mondavi Chardonnay are my old standards.

3. I Am Jacks Post says:

Depends. How big a box can fit in your fridge?

Just kidding. Paraiso Vineyards Riesling or Hahn Chardonnay. Can’t go wrong with either.

Allow me to take a moment to blast the GA Wine Wholesalers mafia, which continues to prevent us from importing whatever wine we damn well choose! Here’s to you guys!

4. Rogue109 says:

(sigh)

Okay, Andre, what are you cooking her? If it’s red meat, stay away from the whites. When fish is on the menu, go with a mild pinot grigio (they can get a little too sweet at times). If you are serving chicken, chardonnay or pinot blanc are good choices. Pinot noir or zinfandel are good with salty meats.

Lately, though, I’ve found a good reisling can work well with both cheese, poultry and fish.

Of course, others will most certainly differ with this…

5. Chris says:

Andre,

I suggest the Ecco Domoni Pino Grigio – its slightly sweet and goes with most things. You should be able to find it < $10/bottle.

6. As a journalist at a politically liberal newspaper, I worry that this question is a ploy to get me to reveal my effete and elitist lifestyle.

Oh, well.

My thoughts on the wines:

There are so many great wines available for cheapcheapcheap.

Go to Trader Joe’s and buy a bottle of their $2.99 Charles Shaw blend Chardonnay and one of their Pinot Grigio. Dirt cheap wines, both, but as likely to please your palette as the average $8-12 bottles you’ll find at a grocery store.

You might like them, but if not, at least you’ll know which grape you prefer.

If you know what you’re going to be eating with the wine, find a knowledgeable store clerk and ask them.

If you’re in Buckhead, go to Pearson’s (W. Paces Ferry). In Midtown, the people at Ansley are helpful. In Candler Park, the Candler Park grocery people are winos.

If, like me, you don’t like talking to anyone in stores, try the Dekalb Farmer’s Market. They post a large number of descriptive labels on their wine shelves.

While I’m at it, I can tell you that Volvo S60 is an excellent car, espresso drinks are tastier than drip coffees, and organic, locally grown produce is superior to store bought.

7. John Konop says:

Caymus Conundrum Proprietary Blend

This is one of my favorite white wines. Caymus a great winemaker takes the best white grapes of that year they grow and mix it together to make a great wine. Also you do not have to focus on the year which can be confusing and hard to remember.

Not only is it a great wine it matches most of the foods meant for white wine do to the mix of grapes.

Also it is fairly reasonable for a high end wine that you can buy for high teens to low 20

8. Sarawara says:

My three favorites are: Coppola Diamond Series Chardonnay, Honey Moon Viognier (only available at Trader Joe’s that I know of) and a Pouilly Fuisse I get at Whole Foods that I can’t quite remember the brand of. Perrin et fils, perhaps.

9. Sarawara says:

Oh wait, this is Peach Pundit. Forget I ever mentioned french wines. Go with the made-in-the-USA Coppola.

10. GOPeach says:

Andre-

Go to the Ritz and ask the bar to hook you up with an empty wine bottle of Caymus Conundrum Proprietary Blend –

Then get a bottle of Blue Nun or Ripple and just pour in there… Nobody would ever know the difference! Botoms up! 🙂

11. Doug Deal says:

Andre,

In any event, don’t worry if it “goes” with the meal based on the opinion of self important “experts”. Just taste it, and if it is enjoyable, buy it again. Your opinion is the only one that counts.

The wine snobs act like wine selection is anything more than a alcoholic Pepsi challenge.

12. Andre Walker says:

First of all, I am not having Bill Edwards over for dinner. I wouldn’t take him to free sample day at Sam’s Club.

Seriously though, without getting too personal, a female acquaintance invited me over to her place for dinner tomorrow and I want to do something special (rugby_fan, you can commence with the name-calling if you so desire).

Regarding the How much do you want to spend? question, I want something that’s reasonable. Not Wal-Mart or Kroger cheap, but also not (insert the name of a classy joint here) expensive.

I’ve been told to expect chicken, so with that info to go on, what do y’all suggest?

13. John Walraven says:

Andre,

Go get a 2005 Rombauer Chardonnay, a 2005 Cakebread Chardonnay or a 2005 Ggrich Hills chard for a really good, $29-$40 white.

Since its warm and you said “cookout,” my red recommendation would be ANY Ken Wright Cellars Pinot Noir (Ansley Wine Merch has one for $60) or for half that, the 2002 Atalon Merlot ($29 @ Ansley) is a very good red that’s not too heavy.

Bank on these, my man.

14. Sarawara says:

The Honey Moon Viogner is $7 at Trader Joe’s. Goes well with chicken. Sounds “romantic.” And it’s really good.

15. John Walraven says:

Whoa–my bad…you didn’t say cookout. You said chicken. Recs still stand.

and if you get either of the whites, don’t serve them ice-cold and let the wines breathe for about 45 mins. minimum. She’ll admire your restraint and think you know your stuff…

16. Jason Pye says:

Oh wait, this is Peach Pundit. Forget I ever mentioned french wines.

Ha!

I’ve never been a fan of wine. My girlfriend has a bottle of Beringer Pinot Grigio and Chenin Blanc in the fridge.

I have Newcastle.

17. GOPeach says:

Okay that does it –

Andre –

Go to the ( name of a fancy hotel bar near you ) and get them to hook you up with an empty bottle of Caymus Conundrum Proprietary Blend

Then…. fill it up with Raison D

18. Donkey Kong says:

andishehnouraee,

Conservatives once ruled the elitist coterie. We are working towards liberal abrogation in your pathetic little cabal.

19. Decaturguy says:

Wow,

Andre, flush with that $1,200 cash that Vernon Jones paid him for setting up a Blogger account, is going to go buy an expensive bottle of wine and have sex for the second time in his life!

20. Romegaguy says:

You cant go wrong with Mr. Thunderbird’s. Try a vintage from last week if you can, if not try from early June 2007 = ).

Seriously if you want to impress, try 2 bottles of wine. The first I would ask someone at a good wine store for a bottle around $20 that pairs nicely with grilled chicken (I would lean toward Pinoit Noir or Pinoit Grigio, but that is just me). The sexond, I mean second bottle would be a bottle of bubbly to help seal the deal. I recommend a nice Italian Prosecco.

Dont be afraid to go to a good wine store and ask. Tell them what you want and what your price is and they can help you find the best wine for the $. Oh, and if you ask nicely, they might even put a price sticker on the bottle after you have paid for it saying that it is a $100+ bottle.

21. Jeff Emanuel says:

Andre: I strongly suggest that you stop and back away, right now.

Decatur, ditto.

I’m saying this with my moderator hat on (which isn’t an accessory I usually wear over here). This exchange has gone as far as it needs to go.

-Jeff