Speaking of Laura Mallory Harry Potter insanity

I went to Borders this morning to get my number for my reserved copy of The Satanic Verses Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, so that I would be ensured one of the first copies when it is officially released tonight at midnight. Last time, numbers were distributed, beginning at 9am and in order of arrival, and were used at midnight to determine order of pickup. It made sense — when the queue began at 11:59, folks just lined up in order of number.

This year, that’s all changed; instead of numbers (1 through 2,000 or whatever), five colors are being used, like zones for boarding airplanes. Each color represents however many hundred people – again, arranged in order of arrival this morning — and the groups will be called up, rather than numbers.

The reason for this, a manager told me, is that “the numbers last time were too contentious.”

Let me get this straight — simple numbers, assigned by order of appearance, and straighforwardly dictating order of book pickup — were too contentious to use, but assigning a color to a group of hundreds of people, then calling that and having them all push to the front, pell-mell and free of any orderly guidance, will not be?

You have got to be kidding me.

1. liberator says:

Don’t let Victor Jones know about the Harry Party tonight at Books A Million. He might stage a protest along with Ned Dominick.

2. Donkey Kong says:

I was an accounting major–I started as a philosophy major, though, and took a number of PHIL classes before moving on to practical studies. I’ll admit, I do sometimes miss the oft-over-complicated musings of arrogant eremites.

3. GOPeach says:

Well now… colors huh?

That’s because the Potter readers are not into numbers ( concrete)… they like abstract fantasies and pretty colors. πŸ™‚

I was a PYCH major and I know where this leads people… happy trails!

4. GOPeach says:

Seriously…

I have worked with some pretty messed up kids who are all “Goth” and “Emo” now … fixation with death and sorcery who can not separate fiction from non-fiction. Very sad.

I say these type kids need to stick to MATH and
    Sudoku books! No abstract concepts pleeeeeze!

5. Donkey Kong says:

Hahaha, emo kids.

Math, science, literature, and philosophy are the indispensables. Harry Potter is not the literature these kids need to be reading.

I have no problem with people reading HP, but only if they have read a lot of classics first.

6. GOPeach says:

Okay Jeff– that’s enough. Behave! I mean it! πŸ™‚

Peach has been mulling on this rainy day and it occured to me that…

Today is 7-20-07
    It is 20:07 in Singapore at 8:07 PM
    It is 2007

In 24 time zones it will be 20:07 ( military time)
    on 7-20-07 in 2007!

A once in a lifetime experience.

How’s that for GLOBAL thinking?

7. Rep. Ed Lindsey says:

All:

It has been sometime since I came on to discuss a weighty subject of the day but there is no issue of greater importance in my household than the arrival of the 7th and final Harry Potter book.

My children literally grew up with these books. We read the first two to them. They read the third to us. By the fourth book, my children were reading them on their own and my wife and I had to buy our own copy to find out what happened.

It is not Shakespeare but the books have a good plot line and solid characters caught in the cross fire between good and evil. Folks should not get hung up on the magic aspects. C.S. Lewis used similar elements to explain Christian themes in the Narnia series.

More important, Jeff, here is a practical tip that I learned 3 books ago. Skip the book stores. Go to Target down the street. They have the books piled on pallets at 40% off.