Georgia Congressional District Battle Royale

For some reason, the air feels right to have it out over which district is best/worst. The members of Congress are not at issue (except perhaps to demonstrate the stupidity of a district by who they elect). Basically, the districts just provide an arbitrary way to cut up the state and pit people against each other.

Have at it.

1. JRM2016 says:

OK, Columbus continues to get the short end of the stick, divided in two between the new 3rd and the 2nd. Its not as bad as it was before 2006, when we were divided between the 2nd, the old 8th and the 11th. No disrespect intended to Bishop, Westmoreland or Gingrey, but it sure would be nice to have a district centered in Columbus, since it seems just about every other significant metro area in Georgia has a CD centered around them.

2. Holly says:

I’d say the 9th district was a good one, mostly because I love the area. On most days, I’m proud to be from the 10th, but I’d say that this week, we deserve the award for either 1) most clueless or 2) most easily bamboozled. Either way, there are some pretty areas of the state in this district.

To answer JRM, Augusta is similarly split. So is Savannah. I think the rationale for doing that was to have two people advocating for the area in the House, maybe? Of course, others would say it was to dilute the voting strength by splitting it.

3. In the loop says:

Savannah and Augusta were split to get all the Democrats, aka black people, in both cities into the 12th. Athens was included until 2005 when Republicans redrew it trying to oust Barrow.

Savannah basically has two congressmen now, Kingston and Barrow, while Augusta has none.

4. atlantaman says:

JRM-

Could you please be more specific as to the major metro areas that have a congressional district centered around it.

5. rightbeforeleft says:

I think the answer to this is clear…8th. Not only are we home to Detroit’s newest Lion Calvin Johnson, but we are also most likely to have our Congressman featured on the Colbert Report.

6. Bull Moose says:

12th. I like living in a competitive district. It keeps my Member of Congress in check.

7. joe says:

You want the worst? The 13th is so Gerrymandered, and so bad that not even David Scott will live in it. Boy, I picked a winner when I moved here.

8. Icarus says:

Can we all agree that from now on, (until 2012), the 13th shall be referred to as the “rounding error” district?

…come to think of it, that might be David Scott’s defense.

9. Know Nothing says:

6th district. Like 5th richest district in the country, and we all know people with money are better than people without it.

10. bowersville says:

I love living in the 10th, not only for the mountains, rivers, lakes and fall football, but for the politics.

It’s going to be real interesting to see if our Congressman is a strict Constitutionalist and applies the four way test that he touts, or whether he declares as an independent of the Republican Party as he said on blog talk radio with Bernita.

I can’t wait to see if he has any earmarks, especially for the Brain Train to Athens. I’m wondering if liberal leaning Athens/Clarke county has elected someone that will represent their views and whether the Athens Banner Herald develops an adversary role, or a love fest with our Congressman.

It’s going to be fun.

11. Icarus says:

I’m thinking this has the ability for some true “pass the popcorn” moments in the 10th.

It might even drive a proper southern belle like Holly to drink.

12. CHelf says:

The 10th gets the Pity Award. Since there will obviously be some bitterness that will linger thus splitting the GOP, the minority Dems can actually place themselves as the kingmaker for dueling sides. You’d think the 10th is reenacting the Civil War with this Athens-Augusta deal. If this resentment carries over to next year and divides the party further with a nasty primary, expect a Democrat to potentially have the district handed to them.

13. TPSoCal says:

The 3rd district has a lot of tornadoes, I wouldn’t want to be there either. I like the 6th the best and hope to live there soon.

14. Holly says:

You should’ve seen me around 2 AM on election night, Icarus. It was not good.

Also, CHelf, even the special election proved the the district would not elect a Democrat. There will be a Republican – we just have to decide if we want a sane one or not. That’s what the primary in 2008 will decide.

15. Icarus says:

It sounds like you earned it Holly. I’ve had more than my share of election nights like that, myself. At the end of the day, all you can do is all you can do.

Seriously, (as if I can ever be serious), don’t beat yourself up over it. From what I saw here, you did all you could. You didn’t lose this in Augusta or CoCo. It’s not your fault.

16. jm says:

Here in the fourth we got to vote against McKinney. It felt good the last two out of three times. The time in between when she won, not so much. Nothing beats the excitement in DeKalb politics than when the former Sheriff went down for murder and conspiracy.

17. CHelf says:

So you’re all about “Anyone But Broun” now Holly? As I said, this district will be torn apart by bitter infighting if that is the case. Piss off enough of one side and who’s to say the loser’s supporters of a bitter primary stay home in the general or even cross over and vote for the Dem. You’ve already expressed a favorable opinion of Marlow.

18. Nicki says:

Well, perhaps if the leadership wanted the seat to stay in Augusta, then they shouldn’t have redrawn the district to include Athens. That was arrogant and stupid.

Seriously, the word of this election is hubris. Make it your friend. Know what it means. And don’t take Athens for granted.

19. Holly says:

To be honest, I would be fine with a representative from Athens who I trusted to know the issues and work for the district. Had Bill Cowsert been elected (or Brian Kemp or Ralph Hudgens or Doc Eldridge) I wouldn’t be laying plans for a 2008 coup.

20. Nicki says:

Holly, that’s not what you’re saying above.

And personally I could support Cowsert or Eldridge even though they’re republicans. But the fight is on if the choice is Kemp.

21. Donkey Kong says:

Doc would be a bit too moderate for my tastes. Cowsert and Hudgens, well, preferably not. We need statesmen in the GOP, and I just don’t see either Cowsert or Hudgens, though both are friendly folk, as the statesmen we need.

22. Holly says:

It is and isn’t. Given a choice, I want a good, Augusta Republican representing me. But if someone was elected who wasn’t from here and who I didn’t initially support, could I come around to them if they proved to be a good representative? Yes, begrudgingly, and that was why I listed those names. I’ve seen them in action, and I know that they’re hard workers. I also have worked with them and have seen little intentional doublespeak from them. So I’d give men like that (or women, if I’d listed any. . . Barbara Dooley, maybe?) a wait and see approach.

Would I vote for a good Democrat against a bad Republican if I didn’t think there was a viable Republican in the field? Yes, and that was my point with Marlow.

Ultimately, though, I don’t think the 10th will elect a Democrat, no matter how bad the Republican candidate is. It’s up to a primary challenge.

23. Icarus says:

Hypothetical question,

(see, I’m still talking about the 10th CD too)

What if Marlow switched parties as your primary challenger?

24. Holly says:

DK, regardless of their abilities, those guys would take great care when representing the people. That’s the most important thing, which is why I said I would give guys like them a chance.

25. Holly says:

Icarus, it’s not likely. He’s got a strong rationale as to why he’s a Dem (though a moderate one), and I applaud him for sticking to it even when his ideas don’t match the party line.

26. Donkey Kong says:

Call me a partisan hack, but I can’t vote for a Dem for Congress. We need to take back the Speaker’s office–they run the schedule, they decide what’s put on the table. Having the GOP in the majority, setting the agenda, while having a lousy R from Athens, is still better than having a good D representing Athens with the D’s setting the agenda.

27. Nicki says:

Yes, well, the 10th as written probably won’t elect a democrat. But if the republican party misjudges it and floods the field with too many candidates, that might change. It was safe for Norwood — but this last election should have made it crystal clear that it’s not safe for any old idiot with an R after his name.

As to Barbara Dooley, that would be as bad as Kemp. Worse, actually. Kemp’s not a bad guy — I just cannot back him based on his activities as they pertain to the environment.

Hey, here’s a crazy idea — rethink the wisdom of that redistricting.

28. Donkey Kong says:

Holly,

That’s one main reason I supported Whitehead–I trusted that he would listen to the voice of the people. But that’s only good, not great. Right now, our country has lost some of its identity. Americans are embarrassed to call themselves American overseas. Right now, we need great. We need to elect the elites of our country. As the world is becoming increasingly complex, Americans are increasingly voting in the “average joe.” Since when do we vote on a President based on whether we can have a beer with him? We need the elites. Sorry to keep putting in the plug, but that’s why I’m hoping Newt runs. Is there any R (or D) that has the mind of Newt? Is there any R (or D) that can communicate as well as Newt? The ironic thing about elections is that if everyone supported the candidate they deep down like over the person that they “expect” to win, I think the candidate they secretly love very well might win.

29. Holly says:

Trafficant? Duke Cunningham? Foley? “Cold Cash” Jefferson? Um. . . how many did you want, ha ha?

30. Nicki says:

Keep going. Very few of them have really amassed the number or quality of Newt’s transgressions — and I don’t recall any of them appointing themselves the arbiter of morality for the public, either.

31. Nicki says:

Personal, professional, legal. There are so many to choose from.

Suffice it to say I would not support Newt. And even if I did, he’s unlikely to win because he’s a vastly dirtier candidate than most of those available and in fact 9 out of 10 people you’d pick randomly from the general population.

32. Donkey Kong says:

You still didn’t answer my question.

Dirtier than Hillary? No way. She just has others do her dirty work for her. Media Matters is one great example of a Clinton propaganda machine that, much to my chagrine, is effective.

Look, Newt plays to win, and I can respect that in the man. I don’t agree with everything he’s done. But I think he’s a different man today than he was in the 1990’s–a better man. He’s much, much more Presidential. In the 90’s, he was in many respects a political operative, and a dang good one, and things sometimes get dirty. This dirty business is the #1 thing that turns me off from politics, but let’s be realistic. He’s now spent the last 10 years dealing with the issues in a brilliant manner. He knows the issues, he knows the politics, and he is a solid, solid conservative. We need someone of his mind and communicative talent to fill the office. It kills me to see Americans, especially conservatives, actually prefer the dumber candidate. Intellect is necessary to be a good President, and Newt’s got it more than any other candidate.

33. Nicki says:

I’m sorry, Donkey, but I don’t agree. Newt was brilliant at turning Americans against other Americans, and often based on values he championed despite not adhering to them personally. For that reason I could never support him.

Oh, and he tried to score political points on the Virginia Tech massacre. May he rot in Waleska, or wherever he’s non-tenured these days.

Personally, I am appalled at the treatment of his wives. Professional, I am appalled at his misuse of tax-exempt funds.

34. Donkey Kong says:

LOL Waleska…I think everything is rotting in Waleska.

I don’t think his remarks on VT was about political points.

Personally, I don’t like how he treated his wives. But Guliani treated his wives the same. Romney is the ONLY GOP candidate with credibility in this area. Unless you vote for Romney, I don’t think this is a valid exclusionary concern.

35. Nicki says:

Well, I’m not a republican. So I have a whole other slew of people to consider.

I do like Romney’s moral character, though.

36. Donkey Kong says:

True. Whether they are worthy of consideration is a different matter. I sure hope you aren’t considering Hillary if you are concerned about a candidate’s moral character. I do see an attraction in Obama from a character/unity standpoint, but we just simply disagree on policy to a large enough extent that I can’t support him. I think he’s brilliant, but he is new to politics and doesn’t have the experience I think our President needs.