Because he’s such a great rolemodel

Vick can stay on the field.

After consulting with the Falcons, commissioner Roger Goodell and top league officials agreed to let the legal process determine the facts, the AP said.

A person with knowledge of the meeting, who requested anonymity so the case would not be influenced, said the NFL would stick to that position for the foreseeable future, despite its new personal conduct policy, the report said.

In April, Goodell suspended Tennessee’s Adam

1. debbie0040 says:

I am sure there will be protests at the home gmaes by animal rights groups.

I will not attend the first home game and home the Falcons lose every game they play while Vick is on the team

2. Nicki says:

Yeah, but…I own a pit bull, and I blanch at the notion of someone doing to my dog what Michael Vick did to his. And I still agree that he should keep playing till he’s convicted. Innocent till proven guilty and all that.

Now, would it be smart for the Falcons to publicly punish him before he is sentenced? Probably. It’d be a great PR move.

3. Jmac says:

While I don’t think the antics of ‘Pacman’ Jones and Michael Vick are comparable – I mean, seriously, the former is a bad dude – it is kinda hypocritical for the NFL to do nothing … particularly in light of the new, tougher policies and Roger Goodell’s ‘talk’ with Vick at the NFL Draft.

He shouldn’t miss the season, so to speak, but a suspension of some sort would be consistent with their other punishments.

It’s all money. Jones didn’t bring people into the stadiums, and Vick does.

4. jsm says:

What do you do if you’re Petrino? I’d hate to be him right now.

I bet Redman, Harrington, & Shockley are salivating right about now. Maybe we’ll get to see a real QB take snaps this year.

5. Icarus says:

Petrino’s job is to put the best players on the field of what he has to work with. I don’t think he sweats the ultimate decision, he just has to have good contingency plans.

As for Blank and the GM, they are in a no win situation.

My advice for no win situations: Do the right thing.

6. Romegaguy says:

I still dont understand how Pacman gets suspended for a whole season before he is indicted and Vick gets to play until convicted.

Maybe you UGA alumni could get a “Gooooo DAWGS! SIC ‘EM” chant going at Falcons games

7. griftdrift says:

I ain’t defending the guy because the whole thing has me vomitous but from what I understand the NFL is following its policy. Apparently there is a first offender clause in the collective bargaining agreement. If there’s no previous problems with the law (the water bottle thing doesn’t count because the law took no action) there cannot be a suspension. This is where it differs from Pacman who has been arrested multiple times.

8. CHelf says:

“Who let the dogs out” will not be played over the PA this year at home but probably at away games.

Didn’t Vick lie to Goodell about no involvement? I wonder why Vick’s previous history has not been lumped into this? The Falcons are screwed since the local and national media will be all over the place trying to get info. Every player will be asked about this and the only thing the Falcons see on the news is Vick and torture of dogs. Blank has to be livid that all the press he gets will be about Vick and not in a positive light.

9. Harry says:

“we have to allow the legal process to run its course”

In terms of Vick as a role model and me attending Falcon games, it’s guilty until proven innocent…and probably not even then if an OJ jury is involved in the verdict.

10. Icarus says:

“I will not attend the first home game and hope the Falcons lose every game they play while Vick is on the team”

“I hope the Falcons have the courage to dump Vick, or in the alternative, that the Falcons lose every damn game that #7 plays in.”

The Falcons are doing a good enough job of losing on their own.

11. drjay says:

i think several factors are at play here–the fiasco in durham and the duke lacrosse guys is one. (the nfl does not want to have to turn around a go “my bad” if charges are dropped or vick is acquitted) race is another. (there is a signifigant african ameriacn population in atl that are going to be inclined to be sympathetic to vick’s situtation) and sticking w/ their man is a 3rd (i believe blank will embrace vick for the time being b/c from what i understand he told blank to his face that he had nothing to do w/ what was going on at the house in va.)

12. Nicki says:

Who’s publicly defending Michael Vick? Not me, that’s for sure. But I don’t feel he should be treated any differently than anyone else, either. And so far the NFL doesn’t seem to punish people for crimes for which they’ve been indicted but not convicted.

13. Harry says:

That’s the NFL’s decision, and the Falcons have to make a decision, and they’ll have to live with their decision.

14. debbie0040 says:

At least Nike is doing the right thing.

Latest shoe drops in Vick case

By TIM TUCKER
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/19/07

Nike is suspending the release of a new Michael Vick shoe that had been scheduled to hit retail stores in August, the company said today.

The decision is the latest fallout from Vick’s indictment this week on federal dogfighting charges.

15. Nicki says:

Pacman Jones has been convicted. He has also not complied with the terms of his parole.

Once Michael Vick has been convicted, I expect to see him punished. But meanwhile…

16. Romegaguy says:

Pacman was only convicted of misdemeanor charges in the past I believe when he was given a one year suspension. The suspension happened after an incident he may or may not have been involved with in Vegas a good 4 months before he was indicted for said incident. Vick shouldnt play this season.

17. Icarus says:

You can joke about bombing Athens all you want, as long as you don’t then promise to bring hell to Athens, and then not show up.