Whitehead gets popped…a view from the other side

For most of the day, we’ve heard from Republicans and conservatives on former state Sen. Jim Whitehead (R-Evans) and his ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

On the Democratic side, it’s been an almost euphoric mood at the prospect of Whitehead being defeated. You have some who believe that Democrat James Marlow’s focus on Iraq softened Whitehead up for Broun. There are others who suggest that Broun could be tempted to switch parties and become a conservative Democrat.

As for my take, I believe that the old saying from President Clinton (the 42nd) rings true in this situation…

“Don’t look past the next election or you might not get past the next election.”

Jim Whitehead was looking past the July 17th election. He didn’t take Paul Broun serious enough, and I believe that no matter how much of a joke you may consider your electoral opponent to be, publicly you should always treat them with a little respect and take them as a serious threat. You know, I’m reminded of the very first Rocky movie where Apollo Creed didn’t take Rocky serious enough, and almost ended up getting beat wasting all that time shuckin’ and jivin’ in the ring. In Rocky IV, Apollo Creed did the same thing; didn’t take the Russian seriously, and ended up getting killed…literally.

The point is that Jim Whitehead didn’t make it lethal. He had a commanding lead of 23 points on June 19th. He should have doubled it. Instead of a 23 point lead, he should have had a 46 point lead. I’ve always been taught that you never, ever sit on a lead. You don’t leave any room for your opponent to come back; you make it lethal.

So, as for this Democrat’s opinion on last night’s election results, I believe that while there are valid arguments that Democrats in Athens-Clarke County might have helped put Paul Broun over the top, if Jim Whitehead had not looked past the July 17th election; if he had made his lead over Paul Broun lethal, then no matter how many Democrats turned out to vote for Broun, it wouldn’t have mattered.

1. GOPeach says:

Andre-

I believe that CONSERVATIVE DEMS proved that they are not walking in lock-step with the party…. good for them!

Let’s flush this whole ” PARTY” crap and THINK again!

2. drjay says:

the idea of broun switching parties is quite laughable–i get the dems did not like whitehead and feel they stuck one to the man and all that–but seriously these two guys were literally fighting over who was the most birchlike (how many guns do you own and all that) in a way that was part of the beauty of shutting your guy out of the runoff–i’m actually surprised the dems bothered to vote at all and kinda find it funny that they pulled the lever for a guy who’d be more likely to join the constitution party than the dems…

3. RuralDem says:

drjay,

Unfamilar with the history of Georgia Democrats?

I doubt Broun would switch, considering on his website it mentions he founded some Republican organization. His dad, however, served almost 4 decades in State Senate as a Democrat.

Conservative Democrats are now a minority in the Democratic Party, however, there are still many of us around.

4. drjay says:

i’m not sure i understand your question rural dem

i am as familiar w/ the history of the ga dems as anyone i suppose–i am a former dem myself–i was simply commenting on the link andre had to the folks that thought broun might now switch parties, i guess b/c some dems helped not so much elect him as defeat whitehead, and found it laughable…

5. RuralDem says:

You mentioned them trying to out “birch” each other, which made me think you were insinuating that Broun would not switch parties simply because no Conservatives were in the party.

Looks like I looked too much into things šŸ˜›

Sorry!

6. GOPeach says:

Dr. Broun founded the Georgia Republican Assembly – I was a member…. and still am at heart!

We had no home in the moderate GOP and so
    we had to form our own group.

I would be willing to do so again.

7. Holly says:

Honestly, RuralDem? I think you’re wrong. I still think there are lots of conservative Democrats out there in Georgia. However, they’ve lost control of the party, but when they get it back – and I think they eventually will – Georgia’s Democratic Party will be in high cotton again. A shift to the right would make them more competitive statewide.

I’ve been baffled by the leftward shift I’ve seen since Roy Barnes left office.

8. CHelf says:

I don’t think it’s a shift. It’s that all of those conservative Dems have switched many for the sake of survival. We have a huge influence of ‘Southern Democrat’ policies within the GOP. Perhaps that is why you see such a negative attitude with many conservative stalwarts within the GOP. They see good social conservative positions but bigger government influence coming in.

9. jsm says:

CHelf, you’re right on. Many old line Dems switched to the GOP because of the degenerate social stands of the national Democratic Party. They never abandoned their belief in government-funded social programs like FDR’s New Deal and Bush’s Medicare Prescription plan.

The way I see it, the Democratic Party has become socialist, the GOP is becoming the old Democratic Party, and personal-responsibility capitalists have found themselves trapped in a spend-crazy party with nowhere to turn. Obviously, the ‘big tent’ has its positives AND its negatives.

10. Holly says:

When you two put it that way, I agree. Being a fiscal conservative, I get frustrated often with my party. šŸ™‚

11. CHelf says:

For these types, we conservatives are not winning over hearts and minds. We are picking up the survivalists and opportunists (worse kind of politicians) and letting them take control. We have welcomed these fiscal moderates to liberals with open arms and let them run the party. Now they steer the ship into bigger government and more dependency. You can take Iraq out of the equation from the 2006 elections and see that conservatives were sickened by their own party’s leadership. Bloated government, bigger spending, and no regard for anything fiscally conservative.

The ironic thing is that the same leadership at the national level that caused all of this is now slamming the Dems for continuation of the previous GOP Congress’ big spending. Pot calling the kettle black?

So where do we go from here?

12. IndyInjun says:

CHelf –

Ron Paul is a man who LIVES AND VOTES conservative principles.

Folks need to unite behind him and bring the USA back to sound finances and the constitution.

You are exactly and perfectly correct. In 2006 CORRUPTION was widely cited in polls as being a reason for GOP losses, yet Iraq gets 100% of the credit.

Iraq will even be more powerful in 2008 and so will the financial calamity that is our Empire of Debt. Both of these are clearly the GOP’s doings.

We need good conservatives to step forward and run, especially against Saxby Chambliss. His $2 million war chest is only an anchor affixed to a drowning man.

13. GOPeach says:

Well now – how the tone has changed on this blog in just one year!

This time last year the moderates were using the Lt. Gov. Primary race to identify who they really were… trashing anyone who said they were a ” CC” ( Conservative Christian)… shhhhhhh not so loud now … we mustn’t frighten away the MONEY!

The old political cast system goes like this:
    Moderates have Money and Conservatives have the Muscle. Well just say that the Muscel is tired of getting screwed and the 1 year of resistance has caused us to get buffed!

Now the big shots with the set of golf clubs in their trunk are scratchin their little noggins….
    ” Whoda Thunkit?” LOL

The Muscle ( Conservatives) also have a BRAIN!
    Notice I did not say Republican …. I am learning that more and more Conservatives are in the Libertarian and Democrat Parties than in the Republican…. so sad but so true.

And it was THE CONSERVATIVES who came out for Dr. Broun. Hey – you can say what you will about the “blue vote” but at least the dems VOTED and they spoke loud and clear too.

If they wanted a Moderate – They would have stayed home!

14. GOPeach says:

Yeah- I think I am with RON PAUL…
    and then Huckabee for 2nd choice.

Either one can take down Hillary!

Defined by CONTRAST not similarty!
    Having a Trial Lawyer at the helm is like putting a cat in the fish tank!

15. GOPeach says:

YES! That’s a great conclusion.. LOL

No – I meant to say..

It’s like putting a cat in CHARGE of a fish tank.
    They stick their claws in and pick em off one by one.

Or it’s like putting a cat in CHARGE of a bird cage…

16. Bill Simon says:

“Georgia Republican Assembly:” NOT Republican in any sort of fashion. More like an organization of religious fascists.

Figures Broun would have founded it. Figures Peach would be a member of them.

17. GOPeach says:

Bill-

I think some people are sick of you bashing their faith and I would not doubt that you will be reported to the Anti-Defamation League if you continue….

a word to the weird – I mean”wise”.