Daylight turned to darkness and Jesus wept.

&#8220I think the greatest punishment is to spare her life and ensure she is unable to take it in the quiet time after all have forgiven her except herself.&#8221

Sigh.

I don’t even really know how to write this post. I didn’t get this way before Evelyn was born, but this had just about brought both Christy and me to tears several times. Our initial gut reaction was

1. Erick says:

I should add as well that Christy and I had the same reaction you are probably having.

Apparently the baby was asleep and the mother was distracted and just drove on to work having forgotten to go to daycare (which is on the same premises as her office).

2. Lee Benedict says:

My goodness!!! Our hearts go out to the mother as she will have to live with this forever. Regrettably, some parents would not be remorseful. This parent apparently lost it, literally. If this goes to trial, I really would not want to be a juror. In all seriousness, let’s all pray that this baby did not suffer, but simply passed out from the heat. Regardless, as of the present, the child has wings. The Bible tells us that near the end of time the children will encounter many hardships, there will be wars and rumors of war, natural disasters…Get ready.

BTW – thanks for posting this; it must have been difficult.

3. SpaceyG says:

For once, given the suffering of my own child I witnessed with my own eyes, but mostly my heart, I’m inclined to agree with one of these literal Bible thumpers like Lee. And after hearing of the mother strung out on drugs who was in the bed when her child wandered into the yard that just so happened to contain a vicious animal that killed her baby. These are the people who need our prayers, our almost unthinkable compassions, for the burdens they will now carry with them – always. This is the kind of suffering that reminds of us how Christ suffered for his message of forgiveness and redemption. This is the Christ we need to keep close to us in such troubling times.

And now I will remove myself from the pulpit we all peridodically stumble upon and return to my usual snark.

4. Cotton Boll says:

I like you much better Spacey G in your non-snark mode. Such a pitiful story and a tragedy for this mother and her family. Thanks for posting it Erick.

5. Lee Benedict says:

Spacey: If you don’t mind my asking, what happened to your child, and is s/he ok? For what it’s worth, my condolences. Feel free to reply privately through my website.

6. jsm says:

As difficult as this situation is, the fact remains that the mother is responsible for the loss of a human life. Although I’m not a lawyer, I would think that this would align more with a charge of involuntary manslaughter or something of that sort, reflecting that the action was not purposeful. Regardless, justice should be served.

No matter what happens, she’ll obviously never be able to live without the images of such a bitter day in her life. May God give her grace to make it through this.

7. Nicki says:

I don’t understand why she’s charged with murder. Should the charge not be some charge reflecting a lack of intent?

8. dorian says:

Nicki, she is charged with felony murder. In Georgia, all felony murder means is that someone died during the commission of a felony. In this case, the felony was cruelty to a child. It isn’t murder in the sense that there was an intent to kill, which is what, traditionally, people think about when they think of murder.

9. Holly says:

Cases like this always make me sad. I’m so sorry for that family and that poor mother.

I am not a parent, but I will tell you that I’m around kids a lot, and I’m always terrified of something happening to them while on my watch. I can only imagine the worry is greater for a parent. What I cannot fathom is what this woman must be going through now, knowing that she accidentally harmed her little one.

This lady is in my prayers.

10. SpaceyG says:

Lee, on Mother’s Day 2006, my child was bitten in the face by a BBD (Big Black Dog) that belonged to a family with 6-year old twin girls. The owners had brought the dog to a party at a private residence at Lake Lanier to which my daughter and I had also been invited. I had not met this particular famly or dog before the party. At the time, my child was also 6 years old. At the time, I thought nothing of the dog’s presence at the party. My child, at the other children’s urging, and being a great lover of all animals, went to shake the paw of their BBD and it bit her in the face. She was rushed to Children’s Hospital where a pediatric plastic surgeon was called in to repair her face. It took over 100 stitches to get it back together. She will need follow-up, corrective and cosmetic surgery (s) over the years as she, and the scar tissue, grows.

The kicker to all of this is that during legal proceedings afterwards (my ex-husband sued the crap out of the owners of the dangerous dog, and I’m glad he did because she will need the money for any cosmetic, corrective procedures she may choose as she gets into her teen years and beyond), the dog owners insisted their pet had never bitten anyone. It came out, from witnesses, that the dog had indeed bitten before, several times. The stupid stupid owners lied to the bitter end, until they simple couldn’t lie any longer, and had to pay up. The hardest partin all of this is that these people lied, repeatedly, about something that caused extreme trauma — to a child. I hope there’s a special place waiting for such kind of people in hell.

Still, I have been a dog lover and owner all my life. Still am. My daughter still loves dogs, and isn’t even all that scared of the BBDs. She’s one tough cookie! I’m much more terrified of a strange dog now than she seems to be. Children are more resiliant, fortunately, than adults. Less bitter too.

But I now approach ALL dogs in a radically different mindset. They are all guilty, for me, now until proven innocent, and gentle.

I wrote an editorial in the AJC just this week about my conflicted mindset about dogs now. You can view that at link below. Only recently have I been able to write and articulate my thoughts on this matter, and it’s been over a year, so great was the psychological impact on me. But I am so educated and tuned-in to dog-related issues now that I feel I really must try to do so. There are too many dangerous dogs mixing with people. And I’m sick of seeing our children, including my own, traumatized, abused, or even killed, by animals that have no business around people in any circumstances.

And that’s the story, from a mom’s POV. Here’s the link to the op/ed piece:

11. MelGX says:

This is a horrible event, but apparently it happens with some regularity. (“Kids and Cars, which maintains a national database tracking deaths and injuries related to children left unattended in cars, reports at least 213 such fatalities in 2005 alone.”) A number of parent and safety groups are pushing for car alarms that will prevent parents from forgetting kids. Here’s more on the story.

Not to detract from all that praying and everything, but sometimes earthly solutions are a little more practical. As for punishment, leave the poor woman alone. Nothing could ever be worse than the horror she will continually endure.

12. Lee Benedict says:

Gee Spacey, what an ordeal…I’m glad that she is coping well and still loves dogs. I kind of had to endure something along those lines last April. My son (6 1/2 at the time) has autism and muscular dystrophy, and therefore, he cannot speak but can get his feelings across. He came home from school one Friday and as I took him off the bus and carried him inside…all was well. His occupational therapist was waiting for him, and as we took off his shoes, he favored one foot, and the OT noticed that it was swollen. Hmmn. We took off his pants in order to change his diaper and noticed 4-5 finger-width bruises (spaced as far apart as fingers on the human hand) on the inner upper thigh region of each leg and a few on each arm. Long story short (LSS), we took him to the ER after the Columbia County CID investigator on call left. According to the school system, no one had a clue what happened…5 students in a room with 6 adults and no one knows anything. CID investigated and could not prove any intentional damage. We were going to send him back to school on Thursday, and when we tucked him in, as we always do, we say that he has “school tomorrow”, and this boy LOVES school. Well, he whimpered until we told him that he didn’t have to go back. LSS, he was being treated for PTSD; I sent a certified letter and over time a few emails to all 5 BoE Members and the superintendent. Wouldn’t you know it, my own elected BoE Member, its then-Chair, never responded to me. In November the districts were redrawn and the one who now “represents” us is the other one who refused to respond (she has no phone or email listed on the BoE website, just a fax). I submitted a Georgia Recall Act of 1989 petition to our Director of Elections and because of redistricting, it went no where. The principal at the time was a spineless wonder, so the Board just made him one of the assistant superintendents???
    There is so much more to this, but in a nutshell, that’s it. It is very trying to see your child suffer.

13. GOP Girl says:

I used to work at the desk in a level one trauma center ER. The sorts of things that you see BABIES come in with from the hands of an adult are enough to give you nightmares at night. The insult to injury was when the caregiver would come along with the child acting as if they didn’t have a clue what had happened to the child. There were many, many times when I had to walk away from my post in order to keep from smacking the living daylights out of a grown up.

Yes, Virginia, there is a hell, and some people rightfully deserve to be sent there.

I have a 6 yr old and have never forgot him, although there was a mix up one time between me and the baby sitter and he was left sitting at school waiting on someone to come pick him up. When he was just an infant, I locked him and my keys in the car (the car was running with air on). Fortunately, it happened at home and I had an extra set of keys inside (though I had to bust out a window to get back inside since the door was locked there too).

Sad, sad story. 🙁

14. Trackboy1 says:

Wow, some moving, heart rendering posts.

Despite all the bickering we do about politics,
    most but not all of which is petty idealogical BS, the power of the net to bring people together is awe inspiring. My heart goes out to the Mom from Macon, Spacey, and Lee.

I used to think of myself as a tough guy until my wife went through a near fatal childbirth. Now I can weep unabashedly reading stories like those above. And I’m a better man for it.