Broun vs. the AJC: It’s a Paul Broun Melt Doun! (and, “The fight against Whitehead, Whitehead, and Satan”)

July 16, 2007 14:19 pm

by Jeff Emanuel · 76 comments

The campaign of Paul Broun, Jr., winding down and apparently getting ready to finish with a resounding whimper, is demonstrative of both his age and his inability to adapt to technology and communications advances. An old Gray in an iPhone age, Dr. Broun’s campaign may come to set the standard for how a campaign should not be run in the New Media era — and is demonstrating the perils of attempting to selectively use some technological advances, while choosing to ignore others (and then being shocked — shocked! — that it comes back to bite you).

Trying to run two different races in two different areas — say, Athens and Augusta — is much more difficult now than it was in the past, because people from both places have access (via this series of tubes we call the internets) to what was said elsewhere. Radio, newspaper, and television appearances are accessible to people everywhere moments after they air, making it much tougher to get away with lying about, or mischaracterizing, positions and actions.

There are plenty of examples — simply search “Paul Broun” on this site for more than you can read in a day — but this latest and greatest has to take the cake. If his campaign hadn’t shown such total ineptitude — both in terms of being consistent and in terms of understanding New Media to such a rudimentary degree that they realize that what they say and send will get out — then I’d go ahead and call this a full-on election-eve “Paul Broun Melt Doun.”

Heck, let’s call it that anyway; after all, it sure seems to be. Check out this latest development:

As we broke the story here at PP, Broun’s wife sent an email to her list asking that it be forwarded on to certain people who met the certain standard which the Brouns seem to think is a requirement for participating in our representative Republic. The email was lengthy, but here’s the important part:

From: Nikibroun@[redacted]
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2007 3:24 PM
To: [redacted]
Subject: P and N Broun testimonyHi [redacted],
Please read the following synopsis of our testimonies. If you feel so led, please forward it to the REAL Christians in your email address book. I believe that Christians can make a big difference in this race and networking is one way to spread the word.Thanks!

Non-“REAL Christians,” of course, need not apply. Further:

Paul Jr. my husband, is running for the seat vacated by Charlie Norwood’s death. We have been under such attack; it’s too long to go into here. I just ask you and your friends to pray for us. The enemy is coming against us with such fury it’s scary. Our opponent is not being all that nice either.

Check the last two sentences. Apparently (and perhaps it’s obvious if you’re a “REAL Christian”) Broun is not only fighting the two Jim Whiteheads, but Satan himself as well! (You know what a special place in Satan’s cold, black heart GA’s 10th CD has always held. Fight on, Paul…)

It is not my place to judge Jim Whitehead’s spiritual condition but I’ll just tell you that a pastor in Hartwell invited Paul and Mr. Whitehead to speak at his church. Paul accepted gladly, as he has in many churches. Mr. Whitehead said he felt uncomfortable speaking in churches and didn’t think you should mix church and state.

We could rephrase that first sentence: “It is not my place to judge Jim Whitehead’s spiritual condition but” I’m going to anyway, and since he is against us, and (based on the paragraph above) Satan is against us, then Q.E.D. he is working with Satan!!

Paul feels that as a Congressman, he would be a missionary to government. And don’t we need that!! He is profoundly pro-life and as a medical doctor he can fight abortion on a physiological level, beyond his spiritual beliefs of the sanctity of life. (He did run for office in 1990 as pro-choice before God removed the scales from both of our eyes about that important issue.)

Here we get into that whole disparate-messages issue. You see, Paul Broun wants to be “a missionary to government,” and says that the Bible will serve as his guide. Is his campaign so inept that nobody realizes that the Liberals in Athens whom they are trying to woo in hopes of ganging up on Whitehead will hear that message as well? Wow.

Here’s the real kicker, though. The AJC’s Political Insider, one of our favorite sites here at PP, picked up our coverage of the above letter, and the result was (predictably) a Brian Passante-esque Paul Broun Melt Doun of the first order. This morning, Paul Broun sent an email to Jim Galloway of the AJCPI in which he slammed Peach Pundit, implied that Galloway was dishonest and irresponsible, and demanded a correction. Peach Pundit has obtained a copy of that email, and the full text is posted below (with commentary, of course ;-) ).

07/16/07 09:44 AMTo: Jim Galloway
From: Paul Broun
Subject: From Paul Broun re Niki’s email

Mr. Galloway:

You are in the news business. News should be premised upon accuracy.

So should campaigning, Dr. Broun, as you so often remind us all (both with your statements to that effect, and your actions otherwise).

Political Insider posted an allegation gathered from Peach Pundit that “the Broun campaign”

Bill Simon July 17, 2007 at 3:24 pm

Didn’t Whitehead graduate from UGA?

If so, I thought there was some sort of pass given to people within a club/group of people who dis said club.

Like the way Chris Rock uses the N-Word in his shows.

Jason Pye July 17, 2007 at 3:40 pm

Oh, Bill, there you go again.

I’d much rather have the religious nut job around than the populist douche bag. You see, they’re both annoying and both want to slowly destroy my liberty, but at least the religious nut bag is interesting.

Holly July 17, 2007 at 4:10 pm

Nicki July 17, 2007 at 4:45 pm

Whitehead mischaracterized his time at UGA and then made a joke in poor taste which indicated some political leanings. It wasn’t funny, and he’s not getting my vote.

And again, folks, all this rah rah “Broun sucks” talk doesn’t really matter unless Whitehead doesn’t also suck. Which, from my perspective, he does.

From my perspective I’ve got two anti-everything-I-believe-in candidates. Except one doesn’t also hold the facetious belief that UGA is a bastion of liberal brainwashing and crack jokes about its demise. So that guy gets my vote.

Holly July 17, 2007 at 5:21 pm

Whitehead mischaracterized his time at UGA

How?

bowersville July 17, 2007 at 5:39 pm

I guess if you’re a Democrat from Athens it’s better to vote for Broun, the favorite son that received the endorsement of the Southern Party, than it is to vote for someone that tells a bum joke that hurts your feelings.

Yahoo, bring out them Rebel flags and get the band to play Dixie.

Bill Simon July 17, 2007 at 5:52 pm

Jason,

Your last post is THE kookiest post I’ve read in a long time.

Konop is all about taking away your liberty, huh?

Dude, you’re one screwed-up-in-the-head-puppy. Maybe you drank some anti-freeze last night rather than your usual Coors 6-pack.

Jason Pye July 17, 2007 at 6:01 pm

This is coming from Bill Simon…John Konop’s lap dog.

Your boy is playing with a dangerous ideology that subverts individual liberty.

Mike-El July 17, 2007 at 6:01 pm

Hey, angry Whitehead people, your guy is going to win in a freaking walk. Grab a decaf.

I can tell all of you that since y’all are such excellent joke takers.

John Konop July 17, 2007 at 9:12 pm

Jason

God help you if you think you the “individual liberty” to promote child and slave labor!

Jason Pye July 17, 2007 at 9:22 pm

John, why do you insist on even bringing that up? I am a supporter of individual liberty, open markets and personal sovereignty.

You are a protectionist and a nationalist. You sound more like Mario Palmeiri than Adam Smith.

GOPeach July 18, 2007 at 3:07 am

LOL LOL LOL

Oh my goodness … Can it get any better??

I have a great big platter of Southern-fried Crow that I brought back from Athens tonight…

Let’s see…. I need the following boys to go wash up for dinner now:

1. Romeguy
2. Keeper
3. Donkey Kong
4. I Am Jacks Posts
5. Jeff
6. Erick
7. Seen It
8. Archibald Bullock
9. Mike El
10. Grand Ole Dawg
11. IndyInjun

Now then … I am sure we will have plenty of crow for all you boys so be nice and don’t smack when you eat. Peach hates that.

If you clean your plate… I might be able to find you fellas some humble pie for desert! :)

Mike-El July 18, 2007 at 6:53 am

Slather it with honey mustard and crow’s really not so bad.

It’s also not so bad when you’re glad to be wrong.

Donkey Kong July 18, 2007 at 7:51 am

Sorry, GOPeach, all I have are a few bananas.

And, Holly, I WAS just kidding, but if I had to choose between Nugent and Whitehead/Broun, it would be Nugent. I’d love to have a rockstar in Congress, and a conservative one at that.

tml July 18, 2007 at 8:47 am

GOPeach – LOL, let’s serve them up some big helpings of each – they sooooo deserve it!

Holly July 18, 2007 at 10:24 am

I know you were, DK. That’s why I put the smiley.

Donkey Kong July 18, 2007 at 10:33 am

Good seeing you over the weekend, Holly, despite its eventual futility.

Brian Laurens July 18, 2007 at 10:35 am

Holly what county are you from?

Holly July 18, 2007 at 10:37 am

Same here, DK.

Brian, I’m from CoCo – Columbia County.

Brian Laurens July 18, 2007 at 10:44 am

LOL. I probably saw you last night then. I wasn’t in a meeting people mood though.

Holly July 18, 2007 at 10:45 am

Yeah, I wrote your name tag.

Brian Laurens July 18, 2007 at 10:55 am

Awwwww. That is how you knew my name.

Holly July 18, 2007 at 10:56 am

Yep, must be. :-)

GOPeach July 18, 2007 at 3:04 pm

Sooo Brian —

You were in LOCK STEP again I see.
Typical.

And you said you really DID NOT care about this race…. then why were you with teh Whitehead people all the way from COBB CO?

Puhleeeeze.

GOPeach July 18, 2007 at 3:04 pm

*the Whitehead people

Brian Laurens July 19, 2007 at 4:40 am

Peach, the only contact I had with the JW people was the victory party. And that was only because I (along with everyone else) assumed it was going to be Whitehead by 10 pts or better. It was my first trip to Augusta, wow what a drive. 3 hours, left at 5 got there at 8.

Comments on this entry are closed.