Suck it up, hippies

I like this ruling.

A federal judge has awarded $1 to plaintiffs who sued Cobb County in a federal lawsuit several years ago, contending officials had violated federal law that requires prayers given before open meetings be performed by clergy people of various faiths.

1. profg says:

Yes, the ACLU is requesting $40,000 in attorneys’ fees be paid to them. It’s how the ACLU makes a huge chunk of their money. And it’s why we need to pass the “Public Expressions of Religion Protection Act”. It got through the House last year (as the “Public Expressions of Religion Act”), but was never taken up in the Senate.

BG

2. grabbingsand says:

I don’t see any hippies here.

And Prof, regarding your push for Brownback’s “PERP” act … I’m not so sure I care for it.

In the promo material I’ve found , S. 3696 is described like this: It will amend federal code to mandate that groups like the ACLU pay their own legal fees when filing Establishment Clause (religious freedom) cases in court.

The ACLU brings cases to bear on behalf of defendants, even when those defendants remain anonymous, but not on behalf of themselves. And so, the attorney’s fees are the responsibility of the defendant, not the representative. In other words, if you’re bringing a case to bear, you’d better mean it.

To create purposefully a loophole to get around that responsibility seems a bit short-sighted, especially since that bill could easily hamstring the efforts of other groups … even conservative ones like the ACLJ.

3. SpaceyG says:

I was raised by real hippies. They vote so Red nowadays they might as well live in the 10th, Land of the Total Bubba runoff. But real “hippies” for the 21st century all look like Charles Brewer and Al Gore, and they’re, despite that settlement, which is kinda funny, richer’n dirt. Wouldn’t mind meeting one of these nuveau hippies, come to think about it…

4. bowersville says:

Spacey, if your folks(or any ex-hippies richer’n dirt) are ever interested in moving to Bubbaville on Lake Hartwell, they’d be welcome.

It doesn’t matter if they’re blue or red, their money spends the same.

5. gatormathis says:

Nope. Give them their 30 percent of the award. It’s time to wean the world of the ACLU and their idiotic lawsuits.

6. Donkey Kong says:

If by “Public Expressions of Christianity Act ” you mean our government officials can say that our country was founded on Christian principles and was a relatively Christian government, then I say go for it. It’s not about pushing religion on someone, it’s about historical accuracy.

7. Doug Deal says:

Erick,

I prefer the term “Longhairs” instead of “Hippie”. As in “Get a job and stop acting like a Longhair.”

To be a hippie, I think you pretty much have to not bath, live in a park and smell of unsavory things.