An Urban Legend Circulating?

I got this in my inbox today. I’ve looked through the

1. The Comma Guy says:

YES IT IS A FAKE!!!!!

Please do not forward the email and instead send a reply back to the original sender that it is a fake message.

2. gatormathis says:

12) Expending flatulance while waiting at a redlight. $85. Offenders can be detected and charged visually by officers, intersection cameras, and citzens arrest by cellphone. Repeat offender’s fine will be doubled, along with a court ordered dose of Beano.

carry on.

3. CobbGOPer says:

I was going to agree with Rugby. I wouldn’t mind a big ticket for the idiots who block intersections, drive on the shoulder when everyone else has to sit in traffic, or try to change lanes in the middle of an intersection.

Of course, the only problem is there’s never a freaking cop around when people are doing these things. They’re always waiting at the speed trap down the road.

4. jsm says:

“You know, I actually would have no problem with any of these laws.”

You don’t drive much, do you, rugby?

“Of course, the only problem is there

5. Doug Deal says:

Sadly, cops perfer the easy money of speeders.

6. CobbGOPer says:

Exactly, Doug. Cops and their pushers at the city and county level don’t want to deal with the small stuff, they want the easy speeders so they can collect their money. It’s sad that the people who are supposed to be protecting and serving spend so much time as mere extensions of municipal or county money-making schemes.

7. rugby_fan says:

The reason cops don’t want to ticket someone who drives on the shoulder is because they are often more scared of us than we are of them.

It’s just not potentially worth their life for petty offenses like that.

8. Rogue109 says:

My favorite is:

“8. DUI = JAIL! (Stays on driving record for 10 years)”

Actually, it stays on your record for LIFE. Just like every speeding ticket, stop sign violation, etc.

9. Rogue109 says:

Doug Deal:

“Running red lights is worse than drunk driving, in my book. When you run a red light, you are intentionally committing an act that has a reletively high probability of killing somone or at least causing serious injury.”

Well, they are BOTH equally as bad. When you drink and drive (excessively), you are ALSO committing an act that has a relatively high probability of killing someone.

I know what you mean with your comment but just wanted to stress that DUI isn’t exactly minor (grin).

10. Doug Deal says:

Rogue,

You are right, real DUI is bad, and needs to be treated harshly. However, 0.08 is not exactly the level where people are swerving onto sidewalks and picking off pedestrians. From a safety level, a person running a light is many times more likely to kill someone than someone at a technically illegal 0.08.

DUI needs to have two levels. One is the technically illegal category, which should be points, fines and such. The other level should be demonstrated impairment, which should be treated as a high and aggravated misdemeanor on the first offense, and a felony on the second.

11. jsm says:

“No I do drive often and obey the laws while I do.

Hence my support for these punishments.”

Don

12. TM2000 says:

I have to side with Rugby. I am all for stricter enforcement of the traffic laws. 40,000 American lives are claimed annually in car wrecks.