With All Due Respect

I went out and had a few beers with a friend of mine a few Friday nights ago and he politely suggested that I was naive to think that I could continue on as an elected official with the liberty of candor I have presently as a blogger. I agree with him that it is naive, but I endeavor to continue in that capacity. I am a blogger before I am a politician. This does, of course, contradict one of my core pieces of advice to candidates for office, which is to avoid blogging.

In any event, rising to the challenge of candor, I must take exception with a speech I heard tonight. I spoke at a local gathering of Republicans and one of the candidates made an impassioned speech for Republicans to be Republicans and stay home to vote in the Republican primary here in Macon. I am a Republican second to none, but with respect to my fellow Republicans, not only do I actively disagree, but I actively encourage Republicans to crossover and vote in the Democratic primary in Macon.

I’d also note that a lot of the Republicans in Macon who hold this position

1. albert says:

Hilary is looking pretty sexy these days. If she can just get that overbite fixed, she would be hot. Well, I think she may need to suck off a little of those calves too….

2. drjay says:

“Macon probably has two years left to get its act together. Three at best. So this is the last election where we might have an impact saving the city. The situation has gotten that bad.”

or what? why does macon still have partisan muni elections again? is a consolidtated macon/bibb county an option up there?

3. ugavi says:

Erick,
    As a political consultant how many times have you researched the voting patterns of the opposition? You know that it used in political campaigns.

A republican who cares about the city, runs for office, get’s elected and trys to effect change.

4. Erick says:

Drjay, bankruptcy more likely than not. As for partisan elections, the majority of city council rejected the idea of nonpartisan elections.

5. drjay says:

well fortunately for you erick–as a city councilman, , in a district so safe you are unopposed for an open seat, you can probably blog away w/out any real fear of negative effects–of course, if you ever ran for higher office…

6. -ee,

i’m putting together a twelve step program for blogging addiction. should have the thirteenth step worked up by the time you take office, so neverfear, the only thing you have to fear from now on out is expressing your opinion in public.

-v

7. Erick says:

Vic, remarked in public the other day that I gave the new fondue restaurant in town 5 months tops. It was quickly pointed out that I should not be saying such things about new businesses in Macon now that I’m an almost city councilman.

Perhaps, but I give ’em 5 months tops.

8. I think this goes a long way to disproving the Al Sharpton affect of crossover voting. Namely that Republicans will vote in a Democratic primary for the weakest general election candidate or vice versa.

I think most primary voters even when they cross over are motivated by a desire to see the better candidate emerge from the other party’s primary. Sure there may be a few Sharpton Republicans or Reed Democrats out that but not nearly as many as there are Cagle Democrats or Majette/Levetan/Johnson Republicans etc.

9. and the moral is?: 1) don’t speak the repetitive, historic, ignored truth around here or you’ll never get out alive? 2) repeat a fairly tale long enough and it will come true? 3) sell them the dream but leave out the facts? at least one downtown restauranteur is already talking about the adverse economics of the undersupported glut. a town is only as sick as it’s secrets. i guess we get what we accept.

10. Donkey Kong says:

Its pathetic that we DON’T want our elected officials speaking their mind in a public forum. Blog away, Erick.

11. stuartasb says:

I was at the meeting and totally agree with you. I have the chance to effect the outcome in four races if I vote in the Democratic primary versus just one on the Republican side.

12. The Republicans listened to “advice” in ’06 and we see where that got them. They are giving and getting the same advice this year. Listening to Hannity yesterday (hey, it streams well) he went on to pick the 3 candidates we should be concentrating on and basically the others should get out of the way. His main theme was, you may not like them, but the democrats are worse. I commend you for doing things outside the box. I think a lot of people are getting fed up with politics as usual. If years of experience was a real prerequisite the Obama would still be in training instead of a top tier contender. Just be yourself, open, honest, real.

13. mercergirl says:

I was at the meeting as well and I have to say I was pretty offended because I felt like I was made out to be a traitor if I didn’t vote Republican. That’s just plain ridiculous.

That being said I’m afraid to go further in my comments because since I’m “not a good Republican” if I say anything else it’ll just be worse. Oh well.

14. Romegaguy says:

What will be funny is in a couple of years when someone is running for office as a Republican and Erick and others in here will blast them for voting in a Democratic primary in 2007

15. Bill Simon says:

MercerGirl,

You’re supposed to go down with a sinking ship. That way, everyone you drown with you can talk to on the way to the bottom. 🙂

16. Doug Deal says:

Rome,

I think primaries should be paid for by the parties and closed to non party members. Why do the people pay for political parties that manipulate the rules to keep third parties off the ballot?

It makes one long for Lousianna’s free-for-all general and two-man runoff system.

17. bowersville says:

We have the Louisiana free-for-all going on in the 10th special election.

Not a bad way to handle elections in my opinion. We eliminated all comers on an open ballot, the Democrats, the Libertarians and have 2 Republicans in the run-off.

No excuse for whining about lack of ballot access and the excuse “if we only had access to being on the ballot, we could….”

The free-for-all type election process shows the true strength or weakness of a party.

18. Holly says:

I think there’s good and bad to open primaries – which, yes, it is basically what the 10th is having right now. But I’ve got to tell you. . . they’re exhausting. If I thought November was tough in the 12th, I take it back. The biggest difference is NRCC and DCCC attention; less money is being spent. That’s not a bad thing.

However, with 10 opponents, the front-runner gets knocked 9 ways instead of one. Keeping tabs on what everyone is saying is a challenge!

19. mercergirl says:

Bill-

No thanks, I know a sinking ship when I see one. I prefer the chance to fight and live another day. 😉

20. Doug Deal says:

I just got a Reichert flier in the mail. Under the title “Who’ll Bring the jobs back?” he says “We can do that by tapping into the talent we already have thoughout our community.”

What talent is that? Vandalism, theft, murder, drug use, pan handling? Living downtown, I see plenty of those talents. Has he ever been specific on his plan for Macon, everything I have seen he seems to make a point to not get into specifics.

If his plan for victory is solely to portray himself as the white guy to get Republican crossovers, he is as much of a sinking ship as Gibson. Also, if the main reason you guys are supporting Reichert is to make sure you get a white mayor, shame on the lot of you.