Weekend open thread

We don’t do these too often, so knock yourself out. Kind of like an ‘open line Friday’ except it’s Saturday.

And yes, we have text ads back on the site. We blew through our bandwidth allotment last month and something’s gotta give. Plus I get requests to to ads once in a while, and turn them down just because I don’t have them installed.

1. TPSoCal says:

I’ll start.

I just got back from a tour of Texas and Arkansas. Went to the GHW Bush Library in College Station Texas and the William J Clinton library in Little Rock Arkansas. I have now been to four Presidential Libraries: Nixon, Reagan, Bush 41 & Clinton. By far the best is Nixon’s. Clinton’s is definately the most political. The nicest employees were definately the Clinton library. We met some of Bill & Hill’s best friends. They are LOYAL to the Clintons. They were very nice and we had a great time talking to them. We met Bill’s favorite artist and Hill’s dress designer. They were very colorful characters. Another observation, Little Rock is not a very pretty city and Arkansas is a little scary. We had a great time and if it weren’t for all the nasty weather we encountered throughout Texas, it would have been the perfect trip.

That is how I spent my 4th of July holiday. Anyone else been to any libraries?

2. Bull Moose says:

Are the libraries interesting enough to visit? I’ve wanted to go to the Reagan library but wasn’t sure what to expect.

3. TPSoCal says:

It depends on the library. Reagans is in a very beautiful location on top of a huge hill overlooking Simi Valley, it’s has a nice patio and lookout. Also, air force one is there to tour. It has a great history of his life. There are always a temporary exhibit at most of them, so it depends on what that is. I have taken a lot of friends and family when they come out to LA to his library and everyone seems to have liked it.

Nixons is the most interesting and ironically the most “honest”. His includes his birthplace and burial site. You can spend a whole day just looking at all the things. You can also listen to the watergate tapes. It’s very extensive and very well done. There is also an amazing rose garden. If you take a trip to LA or Orange county, you can do both libraries, it’s worth it if you fit them into a vacation. Go to Disneyland, the beach and the libraries.

Bush 41’s library is in the middle of a renovation, so we really didn’t get to see much, but it was nice, it’s about an hour and a half from Houston, so if in the area it’s ok.

Clintons honestly is like a huge DNC ad. Don’t get me wrong, it was enjoyable. The only problem is there is nothing besides the library, no gardens, no pretty views. I did learn some things about him, but it was pretty polished. Also, Little Rock was disappointing. We stayed about 45 minutes away in Hot Springs and hiked in the mountains. I’m glad we went, but I don’t think I’ll rush to go back. But, You might meet some people that are actually friends of them and they will tell you a lot of fun stories. Hill’s dress designer told us the places they went to eat during the 92 campaign. I love that kind of stuff, so of course we had to go eat at these places.

4. SouthernConservativ says:

Bull Moose:

I’ve visited Carters museum three times now while in business lay overs in Atlanta. Seeing the displays gives some perspectives of the times of his Presidency. Also there are some clothes of his on display that made me realize how physically small he was. The same can be said of Martin Luther King’s clothes on display in the international terminal of the ATL airport.

The true value of the Presidential Library is not in the display area…but browsing the documents section….just about everything a President does is documented. Some of the personal notes, the hand written notes of speeches etc are fascinating…..especially for a political “operative” such as you.

5. Chris says:

Erick/Clayton – if you overran your bandwidth you might want to reduce/eliminate the rotating sign pics in your banner. Every time someone hits the site it has to be downloaded (vs being in the brower’s cache). Perhaps set it up so that it changes once per day.

6. Southerner says:

I’ve been to the Kennedy Libary twice, once in its original incarnation and then after they had “rennovated” it. I liked it the way they had it first. It’s been a loooong time since I was back and it’s probably been done over yet again. Thanks to the Library, I was able to sport an admittedly reproduced “Kennedy-Johnson” sticker on my car throughout the late 70’s and into the 80’s. It was fun watching the double takes. Even got written up in the paper. Being from Atlanta, I’ve been to the Carter Library a time or two, but it has not improved my opinion of the man one iota.

You know, condsidering the field, now might be a good time for that sticker again.

7. tribal,

thanks for the great link. i’m overwhelmed by the depth of the European Tribune blog vs the US
    blogs. You guys sure do make public transportation look vogue and are lightyears ahead of us. Makes me want to forget all this US politics for politics stuff and go hop a train.

Vic

8. tribalecho says:

Thanks Improper, but I’m not part of the “we”.

I found a link to the original, more in-depth post, at dkos. I’m just someone who’s been waiting to use my local train station more since ’87.

Now that Doug Monroe’s gone we’ll all have to work that much harder to let our “leaders” know that there is a better way.

I especially took note of the parts where it was pointed out how little we get when we spend big bucks on PT here than what they get over there.

9. TPSoCal says:

Bill,

W is having a little bit of a hard time with his library. SMU in Dallas has been selected as the site (Laura is on the SMU board). The university has been buying some of the last affordable housing near the campus and have been busy evicting the residents to build the library. The library is contingent upon SMU obtaining the land. Lots of lawsuits and bad press have hurt. My alma mater, Baylor University, came in second and is considered the back-up if SMU cannot get its act together. So, I personally hope SMU falls through.

10. Does anyone have a site where Richard Goddard has posted his values, agenda, vision for RAFB/Georgia, his goals, beliefs, and how he would vote on certain issues going on in the U.S.?

11. Mike-El says:

Apologies for the bump but I didn’t want to derail any Fred!-talk…What’s the story with the “Wake Up! Don’t Drink The Kool Aid!” sign from one of the “Fresh Political Pickin’s…” banners? It’s kinda awesome.