My goodness

Generalow’s lawyers may be getting an I for “incomplete” on getting him out of jail right now, but they certainly deserve an A for their media skills. You’d think someone like Edelman was behind the PR.

The former state lawmaker who wrote the law that sent Genarlow Wilson to prison is joining efforts to free the 21-year-old.

Former state Rep. Matt Towery says he will file papers with the Georgia Supreme Court clarifying the intent of the 1995 Child Protection Act.

Now all they need is a Genarlow In Jail blog.

1. DMZDave says:

If the prosecutor in this case truly believes that the 15 year old girl who appears in the video having oral sex with Genarlow Wilson is a victim of a crime, why would he revictimize her by showing the video to legislators and others?

2. The Comma Guy says:

State Should Halt Appeals In Wilson Case By Matt Towery (6/11/07)

Last week I set forth what actually happened in the creation and passage of the Child Protection Act of 1995, which I authored while in the Georgia House of Representatives. As I noted, the original bill that I authored would not have allowed for Genarlow Wilson to be prosecuted for aggravated child molestation. Why? Because when I introduced my original bill, the individual with whom Wilson had sex was not legally a child.

Only after the state Senate forced an increase in the age of consent did my bill, designed to punish really bad people, suddenly become applicable to individuals such as Wilson. But even when my bill was amended, a “Romeo and Juliet” statute was included which would protect young people from harsh sentences under the amended bill. The problem is that the section of my original legislation that dealt with “aggravated child molestation” (which included sodomy, which in Georgia includes oral sex) was not explicitly covered by the Romeo and Juliet provision created as part of the increase in the age of consent.

For various technical and political reasons, the merged bill could not be perfected or changed. However, it was clearly our intent was that young people such as Wilson should not be subjected to harsh penalties. We felt certain that prosecutors would not abuse the section of the bill designed to punish adults who engaged in sexual conduct which inflicted pain and suffering on young children.

—————————————

I respect Mr. Towery for his continued service to Georgians. However, his actions are clearly an invitation to the court to ignore the words the legislature used and make law from the bench. Cloaking this bit of judicial activism as authorized by the author of the bill scares me to no end.

The beauty of our system is that for 40 days (or more) our elected officials convene in Atlanta to make laws. There has been more than 10 opportunities for the law to be changed or fixed to reflect Mr. Towery’s position and claimed original intent. It has not happened. At what point are the courts allowed to take action of this non-action?

The law has been fixed, it just wasn’t done fast enough for Genarlow and the rest.

3. jackson says:

Towery just wants his name in the paper…and face on TV. He is totally irrelevant and for some reason gets a lot of credit for stating the obvious. Do you know of ANY politico that actually cares about what he says?

4. Bill Simon says:

Jackson,

It doesn’t really matter what any “politico” thinks about Towery (you included). What matters is if he has any persuasive abilities to any elected official. AND, you are not knowledgable enough in that realm to know for sure either way.

5. jackson says:

Switch out “Towery” in my previous comment. Insert “Bill Simon”. Delete “gets a lot of credit for” as well.

6. MSBassSinger says:

Governor Purdue should either commute his sentence or pardon him outright. Wilson may be no choir boy, but it is plainly obvious the sentence is way out of proportion. What he did was wrong, and what the girl did in being a willing participant is wrong. Aside from the continuing publicity, where is her punishment for being a juvenile delinquent?

Just pardon Wilson and let this embarassment go away.

7. Roadkill says:

Matt knows better than that. There is solid case law in Georgia to the effect that testamony from one or more legisaltors may not be considered in determining legislative intent! 236 legislators voted for or against that bill, and the intent of any one of them, including the bill’s sponsor, is irrelevant. Georgia’s Governor doesn’t have the power to pardon or commute a sentence. The logical, compassionate course was for the General Assembly to repair the damage last session. Don’t listen to the excuse that hundreds of child molesters would go free. The bill was very carefully and professionally drafted. Look to the “Christian Coalition” types for the real reson the legislation didn’t move.

8. MSBassSinger says:

While Perdue cannot issue a pardon by himself, if he were to call for one and mean it, the Board of Pardons and Paroles would most likely go along with it if it were handled right.

I am a Christian (and by no definition am I a liberal in my theology), and if the “Christian Coalition” is fighting this, then they are going against the single standard for what Christianity is – Scripture. If they are truly opposing Wilson’s release, then they are betraying what they supposedly believe. May God be more merciful to them than they are to people like Wilson.

9. Icarus says:

“…then they are going against the single standard for what Christianity is – Scripture”

Well, that would be a first.

10. Romegaguy says:

I always thought the standard for them was indian casinos