Americans for Prosperity Petition

Americans for Prosperity has posted an online petition to be signed by citizens of Georgia who believe the surplus in the state budget should be returned to the taxpayers of Georgia.  AFP is a conservative watchdog group focused on issues of economic and fiscal conservatism, committed to educating citizens about economic policy and mobilizing those citizens as advocates in the public policy process.

1. Seth Millican says:

Sorry GOPer…I used an HTML tag Erick sent to me 😉 It’s been a long time since I used HTML on a daily basis.

2. grabbingsand says:

Anyone have the numbers on this? Just how many taxpayers does Georgia have? As of 2000, Atlanta’s population alone was around 4,000,000 folks.

$142 million seems like a whole lot of money, but divide it up amongst enough people and you’re barely buying dinner and a movie.

3. Painterman says:

I don’t care if it is only $5.00, excess tax collections should go to only 3 things. Fund the rainy day fund. It’s maxed out by current GA law at 800 million, Pay down the state debt, and return to the taxpayer. I’m ready to see GA leaders live up to some of the political promises that gave the current group the majority!

4. jm says:

Painterman: you forgot one thing: replace the $142 million dollars in education cuts from the last budget. I think Andre blogged that one a long time back.

5. Harry says:

If the peoples’ representatives have appropriated all the tax money they deem appropriate, and we’ve maxed out the rainy day fund, maybe it really is time to reduce taxes. My suggestion would be to start by shaving 1% off the state income tax.

6. Painterman says:

Well mercy, let’s not short change education! Goodness gracious me!!! After all we have so much proof that the more money we spend on education the better our students learn and the higher the test scores are! Right?