Reaganesque, continued…

Last time I posted about Fred Thompson, I got jumped on for saying he might be the next Reagan. Before I start on my bully pulpit talking about our next President, I’m going to clarify – I don’t think Fred Thompson is the next Reagan. Simply put, there will never be another Reagan. However, Reagan defined post – modern American statesmanship in only the way Ronald Reagan could. He created a a mold that, to date, has not been filled.

What I am arguing, however, is that former Tennessee Senator Fred Thompson could very well be the man to fit that mold. Thompson was running a Congressional campaign in Tennessee in 1968. He recalls, “I was 26 years old when I met him in Jackson, Tennessee. Governor Reagan came to help my guy and some others, and I had the prvilege to sit back stage with him one – on – one. He was the nicest man I’ve ever met in politics. He asked me a few questions about the audience, and went out and gave a stirring speech. He had me for life.” (H/T ImwithFred.org)

Fred Thompsons record through eight years in the Senate proves that he might very well be the Reaganesque leader Americans have been looking for. Pro – life, pro – family, pro – 2nd Amendment, and pro – business, Thompson has created a swath of support across the nation without even officially entering the race. Consistently polling within the margin of error behind front – runner Rudy Guliani and ahead of Mitt Romney and John McCain, Thompson has stirred the hearts of jaded social conservatives in a way that the other “big three” haven’t. And won’t.

Thompson comes to Georgia on July 6 to lock in the foundations of his leadership team from the state. Already, Thompson has garnered the support of strong conservatives across the state such as Senator Eric Johnson, Rep. Earl Ehrhart, Senator Chip Rogers, Senator Cecil Staton, Senator Mack Mattingly, and some speculate that he’ll land former Senator Zell Miller at some point (they did, after all, serve in the Senate together for a period of time).
Fred Thompson may announce his campaign for the Republican nomination for president as early as next Tuesday and reports indicate the former Tennessee senator may select Nashville as the site of his campaign headquarters.

Go to www.imwithfred.com and www.ga4fred.org and sign up. You’ll be glad you did.

Don’t worry, we know some of you out there think Fred’s the flavor of the month 😉

1. ToddH says:

You are correct that Thompson is not the next Reagan. Reagan left acting to enter politics so he could make a difference in this country while Thompson abandoned public service to enter acting. Just one big difference b/w the Gipper and the Lazy Volunteer.

2. I Am Jacks Post says:

Yeah, Todd, that was pretty bad. Actually, that was really bad. In fact, we’re all dumber for having read that.

3. I Am Jacks Post says:

By the way Todd, The Hunt for Red October opens next weekend. I’ll see you at the movies!

4. grabbingsand says:

Don’t feel bad, Todd. It’s an easy mistake to make.

Just about everyone is experiencing selective amnesia about Fred Thompson’s resume, so let’s review.

1973 to 1974 — chief minority counsel, Senate’s Watergate Committee.
    1975 to 1992 — lobbyist for General Electric, Westinghouse … and, oddly enough, deposed Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide.
    1987 — first film role, No Way Out.
    1990 — The Hunt for Red October.
    1994 to 2002 — Served Tennessee in the U.S. Senate. Shepherded five bills to resolution (established a post office in Cookville, transferred financial report responsibility from the FTC to the Sec of Commerce, Reports Consolidation Act of 2000, realigned inspector general duties regarding the TVA, extended visa availability to Jaqueline Salinas and family).
    2003 — First appearance, “DA Arthur Branch” on Law & Order: SVU

So really, the acting thing was just kind of a hobby. The lobbying, however … that’s where the most interesting history hides, eh? Asbestos, Fred? Really?

5. memberg says:

Original:
    “Simply put, there will never be another Reagan. However, Reagan defined post – modern American statesmanship in only the way Ronald Reagan could. He created a a mold that, to date, has not been filled.”

Variation:
    “Simply put, there will never be another Rickey Henderson. However, Rickey Henderson defined post-modern American statesmanship in only the way Rickey Henderson could. Rickey Henderson created a mold that, to date, has not been filled.”

6. CHelf says:

I think you all failed to read Todd’s post. He didn’t say elected office. He said public service. Looking at the timeline above, he was in public service before those movies. So it looks like quite a few besides Todd were inaccurate. And Fred supporters inaccurate about their candidate…hmmm.

7. grabbingsand says:

“A civil servant or public servant is a civilian career public sector employee working for a government department or agency.” (Thanks, Wikipedia.)

By that definition, Thompson was a public servant (sort of) around 1974.

But let’s not make the mistake and say his (or anyone’s) work as a lobbyist between ’75 and ’92 was any kind of public service. Lobbyists work for the companies and entities that hire them, not for the governmental bodies they seek to influence.

Of course, I’m not really sure if that addresses your comment, CHelf. Your phrasing makes it difficult to determine just what you mean.

8. CHelf says:

Take a look at Thompson in Wikipedia. He was more than a lobbyist before he was an actor. Assistant US Attorney from 69-72. Campaign manager for Howard Baker’s reelection bid. Co-chief counsel for the Senate Watergate Committee. And this is just during the 70’s.

You can even argue that lobbyists are in public service as well.

So yes he was in public service before he became an actor. My point is that ToddH was correct in his statement despite what others said.

9. Rick Day says:

Fred Thompsons record through eight years in the Senate proves that he might very well be the Reaganesque leader Americans have been looking for. (no thanks, we already have a brain damaged POTUS)

Pro – life, (pro-government telling you what to do with your body)

pro – family,(pro-Jesus and Co. ™ WTF, who is anti-family? )

pro – 2nd Amendment, (pro-arms industry)
    and pro – business (anti-human),

Yeah. Right. Like Reagan.

“Simply put, there will never be another Jimmy Carter. However, Jimmy Carter defined post-modern American statesmanship in only the way Jimmy Carter could. Jimmy Carter created a mold that, to date, has not been filled.”

So he is an actor, and a has-been at that. Woah, yeah like Reagan! I see…

What else ya got?

10. Ben Marshall says:

Todd,
    Fred put a term limit on himself to not serve more than the remainder of the term he finished from when Al Gore left, and one more full term. That’s exactly what he did. Before and during his entire Senate career, he repeatedly emphasized that he did not intend on having a long term career in the Senate.

So, he didn’t abandon anything to return to being an actor. You’re making stuff up about Thompson.

11. GabrielSterling says:

Thank God there will never be another Jimmy Carter. It took Reagan years to right the nation after the damage inficted upon it by the failed Carter Presidency. Carter did create a model…of what not to do as President.

We’ve been riding the Reagan wave for a quarter century.

So Rick, I think most of us on here would appreciate it if you simply said “Thank You, President Reagan”.

12. Bull Moose says:

Well, whoever follows Bush is going to have to take years to right the nation following the disaster that is the Bush/Cheney administration.

For the record, I was a McCain supporter in 2000 and begrudingly voted for Bush in the general election and again in 2004.

13. Bull Moose says:

If you thought Mitt for the Price is Right was bad, wait till you see Emporer Cheny and his Imperial Storm Troopers.

14. Chris says:

It took years for Reagan to right the nation after 12 disastrous Nixon/Ford/Carter years. Nixon was deciding from the WhiteHouse what the price of a Big Mac should be. Thats a level of government regulation that even Hillary doesn’t aspire to.

15. joe says:

Bull Moose,

I retired from the Army in 97. I had had enough of Clinton’s abuse. I would still be serving if I had been one of Cheney’s Imperial Storm Troopers.

Start your BS show about Cheney and see how many military/retered military you can drive away from McCain. At least on this forum, YOU are the single biggest reason to support anybody but McCain. ABM, I like it.

16. ToddH says:

I’m a veteran and Cheney can kiss my (censored for purposes of National Security) and then (Classified material privy to only the Department of Cheney). Feels good to get that off my chest. Excuse me while I answer the door…

17. ToddH says:

Ben,

Can you show me a statement where he placed on a term limit upon himself b/c I have never heard of such a statement. This from Stephen Hayes of the Weekly Standard:

“As Thompson considered his future, he began telling friends that he was not certain he wanted to seek reelection in 2002. He changed his mind after the attacks of September 11. Thompson, who served at the time on the Senate Intelligence Committee, announced in late September that he would run again. “Now is not the time for me to leave,” he said. “This is the way now, it’s perfectly clear, for me to contribute the most.” He spent the next several weeks traveling to churches throughout Tennessee talking about the attacks and the coming U.S. response to them. ”

And:

“Then in late January 2002, his daughter Elizabeth Panici died suddenly following a heart attack. She was only 38. Thompson’s friends say he was devastated. A month later he announced that he had changed his mind–he would not seek reelection. “I simply do not have the heart for another six-year term.””

This from John Fund of the Wall Street Journal:

“In 2002 he lost his daughter after she failed to come out of a drug-overdose-induced coma. Already frustrated with the Senate’s endless maneuvering over minutiae, he decided to retire at age 60 only two months later and change his life.”

Nothing that I can see about a term limit pledge that he was simply fulfilling. If that was the reason for his sudden departure from the Senate then wouldn’t someone have mentioned it?

18. Jeff Emanuel says:

ToddH, Jack’s comment about Red October opening “next weekend” was sarcasm intended to show the absurdity of your claim that Thompson “left public service to enter acting.”

As you so kindly pointed out to Jack, Red October and others were out long before Thompson entered politics.

Whoops.

19. Bull Moose says:

Joe buddy, you might want to pull the wool from over your eyes for a time or two and come to reality man.

Guess what Joe, I do have an opinion that isn’t necessarily taken straight out of the pages of the Republican party. I can think for myself!

I know that might be a hard thing to grasp for you, but it happens!

Cheney has turned our democracy into an absolute joke.

20. GabrielSterling says:

Todd H.:
    From a Tom Coburn press Release…

“Sometimes, I think that I’m the last guy around who still thinks term limits is a good idea,” Thompson said at the Lincoln Club annual dinner in Orange County, Calif., May 4. “The professionalization of politics saps people’s courage. Their desire to keep their job and not upset anybody overrides all else — even if it hurts the country.”

“He kept his word and stepped down when he said he would,” said Jeremy Johnson, director of state government affairs for U.S. Term Limits, the prime group behind the term limits cause. “The record for those who kept their word is very good. Apparently the people like politicians who do what they say they will do.”

Honoring his pledge to leave the Senate after two terms is Sen. Wayne Allard, R-Colo., who said in January he will not seek a third term next year, opening the way for a battle for his seat. Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., who term-limited himself in the House, has promised not to serve more than two terms in the Seante.

21. ToddH says:

Gabriel,

Well, until the death of his daughter he planned on breaking that term limits “pledge,” I guess its a pledge even though I didn’t see him make any promise.

22. ToddH says:

Jeff,

Thanks for pointing that out. I’d be lost without you.

I read the sarcasm quite clearly and that is why I replied as I did.

And I’m quite confused by the comments by some who seem to be having some degree of amusement at my expense. I’ve noticed that no one has yet disagreed with the fact that whether or not he acted previously to serving in the Senate, which I could care less about, the fact is that he did leave public service to enter acting. Nowhere did I state that it was the first time he entered acting, but enter he did. Did he or did he not enter acting after leaving the Senate?

But, you know, whoops and all, blah blah blah. I’ll do a better job next time. Thanks again, you’re a peach!

23. Jeff Emanuel says:

Todd, in english we have a word for leaving something for something else, and then going back to it. It’s called “returning” to something.

If you were expressing yourself to us as clearly as you are within your own mind, then you would have said that Fred left public service to return to acting.

The English lesson? Free. The life skills involved in actually being able to communicate coherently? Priceless. 😉

24. ToddH says:

Jeff,

Excellent. Once more, you have been a huge help. I’m sure your friends and family just love you and, quite frankly, amazed at the fact that you can get anything done, what with that phone burning up and all. Anywho, I guess I could have used return or reenter or something else if I had my thesaurus handy.

This is also going to help in my life outside of PP. No longer do I enter my house, I return to my house. No longer do I enter the refrigerator for milk, I return to the refrigerator. I thank you for nearly completely removing the word enter from my vocabulary. I just love grammar geeks!

25. CHelf says:

Let’s see history in terms of facts. Fred left public service to act. Then he went back into public service (Senate). Then to acting again. And now he wants back into public service (President).

Better be careful or he’ll be tied to flip flopping with Willard Romney.