10th CD runoff is set

Democrat James Marlow has reportedly decided to accept the certified results of the June 19 special election, which had him 198 votes behind second-place finisher Paul Broun, Jr. and, therefore, out of the runoff. In a statement released this afternoon, he said:

“From the beginning, the most enjoyable part of this campaign was reconnecting with old friends and meeting new ones,” he said. “I owe a great debt of gratitude to everyone who contributed to the campaign, hosted me in their home, knocked on a door, made a phone call, waved a sign on a street corner or just spoke with a neighbor about our campaign. I can’t thank you enough for believing in me and the message of our campaign.

“I do not plan on contesting or challenging the results of the election, and I congratulate Jim Whitehead and Paul Broun for winning the two slots in the runoff,” he said.

What a coincidence — the two candidates in the runoff actually live in, and know, the district in which they are running. We wish the best of luck to Mr. Marlow in the future, and along with it offer this suggestion: though he received 55% of the vote in Athens-Clarke County, it might behoove him, should he decide to run again in the future, to do so in a district he actually lives in.

1. Icarus says:

Let the record reflect that James Marlow has conceded before Mac Collins, for what it’s worth.

2. Archibald Bulloch says:

I think it is really funny how a party that draws the hometowns of people like John Barrow out of their districts can give any candidate crap about this sort of thing.

3. Jeff Emanuel says:

Yes, Archibald, good point. Atlanta/Fulton county was in the 10th CD before the eeeevil Republicans drew it out — no doubt just to spite Mr. Marlow.

4. Icarus says:

Maybe we should just give candidates crap that claim to care about “two Americas” when they spend $400 at the barber (stylist?) and complain that their 4th generation farming neighbors across the road are just keeping their place junky to spite the new 28,000 sf home they are building.

5. bowersville says:

A question for Democrats (JMAC).

I know it was a surprise to some about Broun running as strong as he did in Oconee & ACC. I know some have the opinion that other D candidates drained off votes. But my question is,

Why didn’t Marlow make it known that Broun favored the elimination of Social Security and Medicare?

I picked up on a clue that Broun was stronger than expected when Team Whitehead attacked him directly for campaigning for the 10th seat prior to Dr. Norwood’s death.

6. Archibald Bulloch says:

I wasn’t referring to just the CD10/Marlow. I was referring to the principle of attacking someone on residency after they certainly supported redistricting a different Congressman out of his hometown.

It just seems a little hypocritcal.

7. Observer says:

Barrow was only placed in the district after an absurd Democratic gerrymander that placed Athens in the same district with Savannah. The GOP did the right thing in cleaning that up.

8. Jmac says:

bowersville … beats me, man. I’ll concede that I didn’t think Broun would run as strong as he did, and I don’t think many people did either.

In hindsight, I’d assume that Marlow, as well as the rest of the field, viewed this election by your traditional parameters … beat up the frontrunner in an attempt to bring him/her down in the polls. However, Whitehead held such a commanding lead, it makes sense (now) to realize the rest of the field should have gone after folks like Broun and Marlow to snag a spot in the runoff.

But, also, let’s remember most folks thought Broun was done (particularly after the campaign letters), and that it would be Marlow collecting 25 to 35 percent of the vote with Broun, Greene and Pulliam battling for 8 to 15 percent each.

That’s my best guess.

9. abi04 says:

What kind of idiot would commit political suicide by saying they want to eliminate social security and medicare? I can’t believe Broun would be that stupid. Sounds like a page out of the Democratic handbook; you know voter republican and old people will starve. Give me a break.