Rob Teilhet’s Letter

There’s a letter circulating from Rob Teilhert bashing Mike Jacobs for switching parties. I’ve always thought it rather humorous when a Dem becomes a GOP’er or vice versa, the guys in the party being left behind usually start their tirade about what a low down dirty rotten dog the guy was anyway, so good riddance, etc., etc., etc. This is usually followed by the revelation of lots of dirty laundry, etc.

The implication for me has always been, “Geez. You guys left that ass in your party!? What does that say about you.” I celebrated yesterday to see Mike Bloomberg leave the GOP.

Anyway, so this letter is going around and, while I haven’t seen the whole thing, I did get this paragraph copied over to me and I had a great laugh about it. Mr. Teilhet wrote:

You also omitted from your message to constituents your support in the Judiciary Committee for several measures that would limit the applicability of the Open Records Act and make public documents more difficult to obtain. Most heinous was your support for requiring open records requests to be made in writing. You supported this despite uncontested testimony in committee that the bill would have allowed government to require a citizen to identify themselves and state the reason they wanted certain records in writing before having their request for public information processed. Public documents belong to the public, and should be made available without requiring a citizen to be subjected to aggravation or even political retribution for requesting them. Feigning a commitment to open government while you seek to undermine it through your work in the legislature, is one of the oldest and worst parlor tricks in politics. Such duplicity creates fertile ground for the cynicism that makes good public service more difficult.

Dude, come on. The most heinous thing he ever did was make people file requests with government bureaucrats in writing?!

Yeah, yeah, I know. There a few Ron Paul supporters out there who are so paranoid of government, they’re afraid Smithey at the local P&Z might plant a car bomb when an ORA request is filed about the local Wal-Mart’s construction, but, um considering I’ve filed probably 100 of these in my 5+ years as a lawyer, I’ve got to say that requiring they be in writing is a no-brainer. Of course, as I’m typing this, I can see why you would want an anonymous request in DeKalb County — Vernon might force you into an orgy if he doesn’t like your request.

In any event and totally contrary to Rob’s assertion, Mike Jacobs voted against the bill when it was before the subcommittee he was on that considered it. There was a 2-2 tie and Ed Lindsey had to cast the tie breaking vote. Jacobs apparently wasn’t around for the full committee vote.

But still — this is the most heinous thing he’s done and he didn’t even do it? Pfffffft.

1. I’ve been on both the filing and receiving ends of Open Records requests -every single one of them in writing. Can you actually make them by phone? When did that happen?

2. Jace Walden says:

Erick,

I would like to know what exactly it is about Ron Paul supporters that scares you so much. You always feel the need to bash them, yet the best the rest of you can come up with is Rudy McRomney. At least Paul truly believes in limited government. He’s the only announced GOP candidate that does. It’s funny that having a principled limited-government stand means you don’t have a chance of winning the GOP nomination.

Fred Thompson, when he announces, will make two Republicans out of a field of 11 who actually believe in what the party allegedly stands for.

So which is it? Is it his stance on limited government? Is it his belief in non-interventionalism foreign policy? What is it about Paul that constantly makes you want to bash him and his supporters?

Just curious.

3. Bill Simon says:

Ron Paul would never take an e-mail from his in-box, read it, then blast a post titled “Senator Judson Hill is being accused of bribery” and ask the question “What’s going on here? Why is my ‘Tip Line’ stuffed with people hot about Hill’?”

BUT, Erick Erickson would. Thus, Erick doesn’t like Ron Paul.

4. Erick says:

Well Bill, first, I never said anything of the sort about Senator Hill and as for the Johnny remark, I updated and retracted as soon as I learned facts to the contrary.

Second, Jace, I say that about Ron Paul because it is the only proven traffic builder for any website under the sun. You say something bad about Ron Paul and hundreds of thousands come out of the wood work. Of course, we should be selling ads when I do these sorts of things. 😉

5. Icarus says:

It’s just what I heard Lee, a few times. Mostly from one poster, but you’ve been campaigning, so we’ll give you a pass on that.

6. Bill Simon says:

Erick, Erick, Erick…

You DID have the comment thread about Judson Hill titled first as something along the lines of “Judson Hill investigated for bribery”…which prompted my two comments on that thread as seen here:

(WHICH, I now see, you’ve thoughtfully gone back and answered….AFTER you changed the title of the Judson Hill thread.)

#2) You still have the thread on Johnny Isakson titled with the word “bribery” on it…guess you didn’t feel the need to “re-title” that for some bizarre reason.

7. Erick says:

Bill, I never put up “Judson Hill investigated for bribery.” Not sure how you got that impression, ut I most certainly did not.

As for the Johnny one, I feel no need to do that. The post has been updated. I try not to go back into posts and change them one posted, except by adding an update or a strike through, or at least a notation of the change.

8. Bull Moose says:

I believe in the Phil Gramm approach to party switching.

You should resign the office and run under your new party banner.

It’s the right thing to do.

9. Doug Deal says:

I saw the post as soon as it appeared, and Erick is telling the truth, it never did say what BS has stated.

BS, are you perhaps mis-remembering the post and including the first comment from right of center?

rightofcenter // Jun 16, 2007 at 11:23 pm

Yes, I heard he was accused of bribery.
    Don’t know any other details.

10. Doug Deal says:

BM,

Our government was not founded as a means of protecting political parties, it was to protect individuals. Our representatives in various governments represent the people, not their party. If a party strays away from the interests of the people an elected member of government represents, it is his duty to switch parties.

If the people disagree with him, they can vote him out in the next election cycle.

Holding loyalty to the parties above the people is a bad idea.

11. Erick,
    Other “heinous” stuff you conveniently left out:

To: Mike Jacobs
    From: One of his fellow Legislators

1) Re Predatory Payday Lending:

“You’ve also not mentioned your support for this year’s ghoulish and predatory payday lending legislation.
    You voted this year, by supporting HB 163, to allow payday lenders to charge up to 395 percent interest
    rates and to provide de facto amnesty for those loan sharks that broke the law for the better part of the last century by offering these loans despite the fact that they were clearly illegal under Georgia law.”
    ==================

And on another topic, here are the Macon City Council Meeting schedules for today & tomorrow. Don’t worry about having separation anxiety from your laptop, once you get Ron or whomever to connect wifi inside of Macon City Hall, you can live blog there…

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 20, 2007

10:00 A.M.
    Public Hearing on Mea Road Landfill.

3:30 P.M.
    SPECIAL MEETING OF THE GENERAL EMPLOYEES PENSION BOARD
    (Council Conference Room)

CAPTRUST Financial Advisors – Mr. Rick Bernhardt
    ● Discussion of asset re-allocation
    Other Matters

4:00 P.M. APPROPRIATIONS COMMITTEE
    (Council Conference Room)

FY 08 Budget Finalization (If Necessary)

4:00 P.M. MACON CEMETERY PRESERVATION CORPORATION
    (Mayor’s Conference Room)

THURSDAY, JUNE 21, 2007

4:00 P.M. SPECIAL MEETING OF THE FIRE AND POLICE PENSION BOARD
    (Council Conference Room)
    Finalize Consultant Contract

12. SpaceyG says:

I thought it was an excellent letter. Teilhet can really articulate the issues and agenda that are important for GA Dems. Goodbye good riddance to Jacobs, and welcome to the rise of Rep Teilhet. HE’s the Dem to watch now.

13. Bull Moose says:

And McCain is one of the few elected officials who leads with his gut instincts and not poll tested fly in the wind talks points.

He’s a real conservative. Some of you have forgotten what that is.

14. Decaturguy says:

It amazes me that we as Democrats are so desperate for some leadership that a guy can do one thing and he suddenly becomes “the Dem to watch now.” I mean, come on, where has Teilhet been up until now? He’s pretty much been a non-entity, other than getting married to Governor Perdue’s press secretary. And, while appropriately harsh, I thought the letter was somewhat rambling and overly personal. I think Erick’s point about the open records vote is valid – maybe I wouldn’t have voted that way, but that was Mike’s “most heinous” vote – even with payday lending, Peach Care, etc?

15. Doug Deal says:

BM,

I was commenting on your statement that an elected official should resign if they switched parties. My point is that the people elected representatives, not parties.

If the party moves away from what a representative feels is best for the people he represents, it is his duty to switch parties.

16. Doug Deal says:

Also, BM,

Here is how desperate “true conservative” McCain is.

I guess his philosophy is that since he is so unlikable, he will just attack the religion of Romney.

17. jsm says:

“He’s a real conservative. Some of you have forgotten what that is.”

What’s your definition, Bull?