6:59 Minutes of 72 Hour Plan Remain

As you may remember, I called BS on the vaunted “72 Hour Plan” many times during the 2006 General Election.  Although the Marshall and Barrow races were closer than I predicted they would be, both Democratic incumbents still won in Republican leaning districts that were easily carried by Sonny Perdue.  The districts were also hand drawn using sophisticated software for specific former Republican Congressmen to retake.

Why do I bring this up?  Quite simply I think the 72 Hour Plan is BS, and to those that believe in it, I wonder: why aren’t we reading about it or hearing about it in the 10th Congressional district special election?  Certainly if you had a well lubed machine that knew which voters favored Republicans and which ones would turn out if only you’d reach out to them that same machine would be of maximal value to your party in a low turnout election when even 1,000 voters could make the difference between 48% and 50%+1, if the Secretary of State’s turnout projection is to be believed.

I’m offering no prediction as to whether Whitehead will get the 50% he needs tomorrow or be headed into a runoff with Marlow, but I have to wonder why his TV buy is so puny — is he saving his cash for a second election?  Republicans, please enlighten me.  If you’ve got this 72 hour plan ready to roll, why aren’t you using it in this race and/or why aren’t we hearing about it if you are?

1. Jeff Emanuel says:

What are you talking about? We heard all about the 72 hour plan from the College Republicans! I mean, if a savvy bunch of politicos like that can’t sway an election….

Never mind. Point to Chris? 😉

2. MidGaDawg says:

I’m not a 72 Hour Plan expert, but isn’t it a tool of the Party? Since the 10th race has like 67 different Republicans in it, isn’t it possible they’re waiting for the runoff after tomorrow’s de facto primary? It’s not like Marlow’s going to win Round One…

3. Chris says:

MidGaDawg is right. There is no _one_ Republican nominee, so there is no _one_ Republican 72 hour effort.

I’m sure each of the candidates has their own.

4. JRM2016 says:

I second MidGaDawg and Chris Farris. There is no Republican nominee so the Party machinery cannot be lined up for one of many GOP candidates.

Also, the 72 hour plan we implemented in Muscogee County in 2006 allowed us to carry the County for Sonny Perdue, something a Republican had not done since 1966.

5. Seth Millican says:

The 72 hour plan works. I’ve done it twice for the GAGOP, and several times for various candidates. Jim Whitehead is doing it dor this campaign – I know because they tried to recruit me 😀 I don’t know about the other candidates, though.

6. Erick says:

Yeah Chris, the 72 Hour Plan is not operational at the party level this time around because there is no party nominee.

7. buzzbrockway says:

Seth is correct, Whitehead has a 72 hour type plan going on now. I know because I joined the “Whitehead 72 hour” Facebook group. 😉

To Chris’ larger point, all the 72 hour plan does is attempt to get known supporters to the polls and get those who are expected to vote to vote for your candidate. It’s not rocket science it’s just good ‘ole fashioned grassroots politics.

The 72 hour plan was created in the wake of the 2000 election when the Bush campaign pretty much shut down on Friday before election day trusting that the polls were correct and they had a solid lead. Gore & Co. campaigned around the clock and you all know what happened. The GOP realized that you must keep campaigning until the polls close.

8. ChuckEaton says:

It’s not like the Democrats don’t have their own plan for getting known supporters to the polls.

9. I Am Jacks Post says:

Yeah, the Dem 72 hr program includes last minute race baiting, chicken dinners, and walking around money.

10. jm says:

Think about it…your guy is either going to win or face a runoff…but he is definitely #1 or #2. Save your money….blow them away if you have a runoff, or end up with a huge pile of dough if you win outright. In a runoff, the race is harder because you are trying to get votes from a lot of people who voted for “anyone but you” (remember Cynthi McKinney vs Hank Johnson).

11. Ben Marshall says:

The 72 hour plan works. It worked in ’02 and ’04, and it definitely worked in ’06 in Tennessee for Bob Corker, where Harold Ford wasn’t doing anything the last three days.

You can’t call BS on a plan that worked, with the exception being the year that Democrats took control of congress.

72 Hour Plan works, Dems are just pissed that they can’t do it effectively.

12. Donkey Kong says:

I haven’t worked on a 72-hour deal before, so I can’t attest to its effectiveness. However, I can say that Whitehead has one going now and that a number of good College Republicans are working around the clock to increase voter turnout, including going door-to-door, spreading flyers, posting signs, making phone calls, etc. etc. Think what you will, but these students have been in the district since Thursday working many hours doing work that simply isn’t that fun.

13. Jeff Emanuel says:

No doubt there will be liberal amounts of alcohol served tonight as a reward, and a good deal of truck-punching done to relieve post-72 hour stress. 😉

14. gmcdaniel85 says:

Jeff, why does it seem that you know of CR parties first hand? 😉

And it would be generous amounts… they don’t use “liberal” for anything… 🙂

15. atlantaman says:

You know the joke: if the Democrats had used their GOTV machine to evacuate New Orleans before Katrina, the city would have been empty when the hurricane hit.

16. Holly says:

We had a 72 Hour Plan, and we had great, great people come in to help us. Thanks to all! We’ll do it again in three weeks.

By the way, Broun had his own sort of 72 Hour plan going on. I’ve been giving Jeff and Erick updates as I’ve seen / heard them. Perhaps that’s what put him over Marlow?

Donkey Kong, you’re more than welcome to join the 72 Hour effort in July. In fact, we’d love to have you around.