Slavery In Georgia, Part II

This past Wednesday in the Telegraph, I believe David Corr, a local Libertarian, referenced me in a letter to the editor, in which he wrote, “Despite the claim of a City Council candidate that employees of the spas are sex slaves, no evidence or charges of slavery were made in the raids.” He’s right that there, to date, is no direct evidence that the women working at the spas in questions were slaves; nor have I ever made such an accusation. And it may very well be that there was nothing going on at these spas other than garden-variety prostitution, but Mr. Corr’s defense of free-market principles displays willfull naiveté to the overwhelming evidence that many of the women “participating” in the marketplace are not doing so voluntarily. Incidentally, when I wrote here that “people who make the libertarian argument” should “rethink their position,” it was precisely Mr. Corr’s name that first popped in my head.

Here again are facts worth considering. The U. S. Department of State reports that 17,500 human trafficking victims are brought into the United States each year, typically as part of the sex trade. The U.S. Department of Justice’s 2001 report entitled “Sex Trafficking of Women in the United States” states that the “U.S. military bases, especially in the South, replicate the sexual rest and recreation areas that proliferate near military bases abroad. This infrastructure of . . . massage parlors has been recreated here, with inordinate numbers of Asian women especially trafficked and exploited in the sex industries.” [Emphasis added]

The report, which identifies domestic human sex trafficking as a growing problem, goes on to show that one of the standard patterns and practices in the human trafficking industry is to smuggle women from Asia to the United States and force them to work in self styled spas and massage parlors. Likewise, the women, who are generally abused, are told horror stories that should they confess, they’ll be thrown into an American jail with conditions far worse than their present conditions.

We must consider the pattern and practice revealed by the Department of Justice and the Department of State, and the repeated breakups of human sex trafficking rings throughout this country, including here in Georgia.  Recognizing that these criminal acts share many common factors — factors we see here in Macon — the least we should do in Macon, Georgia, 142 years after the legal abolition of slavery, is make sure this vile practice has not returned to our city. And I hope Mr. Corr will agree with me that if this is the case, we are morally obligated to pursue and prosecute with extreme prejudice those who traffic in the despair and pain of others for monetary gain.

1. Erick says:

Chris, excellent point! And Griftdrift, I love throwing out Ron Paul’s name in these discussions. It’s easy bait.

2. Demonbeck says:

Why don’t we just take all of our loonies and get them to form their own party like the Democrats did with the Green party. We could call it the Freedomtarian or Libertine (or some variation) party.

Ron Paul could run for President as one of them.

3. Holly says:

Are you kidding? The Democrats didn’t get rid of all their loonies. . . they still (as of now) have Cynthia McKinnney.

4. Erick,

When we have the ribbon cutting for the first mayoral, economic development debate held at our hood’s bikini bar, spa and tatoo parlor shopping center, can you make arrangments to present David Corr with a blow up doll and some bondage gear?

thanks,
    Vic

5. Nicki says:

Good post. We have a little prostitution problem round these here parts, and there is always the argument that the women work voluntarily and no one is being harmed. Yeah, but those women are being exploited and have other issues which have pushed them into sex work — they didn’t choose it in the sense of “yeah, I could be a doctor — but I’d much rather be a street prostitute.” And as for the argument that no one is being harmed, wrong. The vicinity in which the activity is taking place is being harmed.

6. Ragnar Danneskjöld says:

First, thanks Erick for pointing out so clearly and passionately the institution of slavery that still exists today. It is the most deplorable act that exists– taking human rights away from an individual. It is against the very moral code of nature and all reason.

Also, first let me say that I believe prostitution is a dispicable act. I believe it is degrading for the prostitute and any human being who participates in it. However, I believe that if a woman wants to lower herself to that level, then that is her right as a free individual and same goes for the client.

But when you bring slavery into it, that is a whole other issue all together. It is the government’s duty and only obligation to protect individuals from the force of another individual or group.

7. Rick Day says:

Typical of status quo apologists ‘conservatives’ to blame the negative results of prohibition as the reason for continuing said prohibition.

(sighs) gentlemen….

Do some research in areas where prostitution is ‘restricted, taxed and contolled’ instead of prohibited.

you said: Clayton County, Georgia, Atlanta, New York, Topeka, San Francisco, New Orleans, Orlando, and dozens of other cities and counties have broken up human trafficking rings that have a shared profile of Asian themed massage parlors and spas consistent with the Department of Justice’s profile.

Um, I didn’t see Nevada on that list. Nor would I imagine Holland would be either, if the DOJ worked there.

Want to get rid of the sex slaves? Take out the financial incentive. You think these worms traffic in humans because…uh..they are sick puppies? Its all about the money, Jack, supply side economics. As long as there is a black market for paid sex, there will be sex slaves.

Like controlling/restricting/taxing the sources of illegal drugs will help dry up the illegal drug dealers market, controlling/restricting/taxing prostitution drys up incentive to bring in sex slaves. AT THE VERY LEAST IT FREES UP LAW ENFORCEMENT TO GO AFTER SAID EVILDOERS IN STEAD OF SAID SLAVES.

If your prohibition of prostitution works so well, why were these sex parlors allowed to open in the first place.

Perhaps because…you can’t legislate morality effectively? Police priorities? Payoffs? All of the above?

In typical O’Reillian fashion, Eric, you attack the messenger (Corr) instead of the meta message (the root problem with sex slavery connected to a prohibited sex trade).

You can call them Libertarians nuts all day long but it does not change the Truth. I typically expect better from you.

8. Erick says:

You know Rick, in the 2003-2004 period, the last on record so far, the Dutch reported 142 Dutch citizens arrested for engaging in human sex trafficking. Of those, 60 owned legally licensed houses of prostitution, but had decided to stock them with slaves.

According to the FBI, Las Vegas is one of the top destinations for human sex trafficking operations in the United States.

Just because I did not list them, does not mean the issue isn’t prevalent there too.

The problem, Rick, is that I’m not attacking David. I’m pointing out that he, and apparently you, would rather close your eyes and pretend there is no problem when there clearly is.

And the places that have legal prostitution have the same problem.

The data does not support your claim that making it legal makes the problem go away. From Thailand to Las Vegas to Holland, the problem still exists and is growing. Yes, growing even in places where prostitution is legal.

Here are just three examples from Las Vegas. Note that one supplied underage American girls. Of course, I’m sure you’d suggest we just make that legal too.

9. liberator says:

Rick You hit the nail on the head pal! Erik is the one who doesn’t have a clue! There are already laws on the books against slavery and human trafficking,but Erik believes keeping prostitution illegal will solve the problem. Actually it will increase the problem. Erik did say that the majority of spa employees were here as sex slaves. He said it on the Jami and Shane show.

10. liberator says:

In addition most of the sex slave trade involves street prostitution not brothels or massage spas but Theocrats never bother to research facts. Of course there is no reason to believe anything that comes out of the Bush,Ashcroft,Gonzales Justice Department. They are liars who believe our sacred bill of rights and constitution is nothing more than toilet paper. What a bunch of anti-liberty scumbags. The Patriot Act is something You would expect from the Taliban,but then we do have our Christian Version now don’t we?

11. liberator says:

In addition it is the Republicans and Democrats who support slavery,not the party of principle (Libertarian Party} as they are tho parties that support income redistribution,legalized theft (Taxation) confiscation of private property,,gun control,censorship,and that’s just for starters. The GOP and Dems both want government in your pocketbooks and bedrooms. Thank You Rick Day for straightening out the naive theocrats! David Corr is a great man of honor and integrity. If he had been elected in 2003 Macon wouldn’t be in the mess it is in now!

12. joe says:

Erick // Jun 14, 2007 at 8:11 pm

David, why talk about yourself in the third person?

Is that the Administrator talking?

13. liberator says:

Where is Bob Dole when You need him? Talk about third person references. Look Erik: Libertarians oppose the use of force to achieve social or political goals. We are absolutely against slavery since it involves the use of force. Unfortunately the GOP and Dems support the use of force to achieve social and political goals. Slavery is already a crime and should be prosecuted for sure. Prostitution in private is a consensual activity between willing participants and should not be a crime as there is no victim or deprivation of rights. BTW nobody has been convicted yet. Keep in mind arrests were made in only 3 0f 17 spas raided by the gestapo and yet you want to ban all of them. http://www.aynrand.org

14. dorian says:

While my own moral compass leads me to conclude that prostitution is wrong, I have to disagree with eric on this one. It seems like your saying that ‘all prostitution leads to sex slavery.’ That is a false dichotomy. You could just as easily say that ‘all sex leads to sex slavery’.

I also disagree that our government’s primary means of regulating behavior is through the criminal code. It isn’t. It is through taxation. Criminal laws will always be more reactionary in terms of dealing with behavior. While, in contrast, tax regulations are more proactive in steering behaviors in one direction or another.

Finally, I disagree that legalization amounts to advocacy. It is just the overly simplistic response of a narrow minded moral majority. Take drugs for example. How many hunded of billions of dollars are spent in the so called ‘war on drugs’ in enforcement, prosecution, and housing in prisons and jails. Imagine, overnight, wiping out 90% or so of those expenditures. Then, imagine, generating hundreds of billions of dollars in tax revenues from sale and income tax. Those funds could be used to mount the biggest educational campain in the history of humanity against the use of drugs. There would likely be enough left over to put a free clinic on every corner of every street in every city of every state in the country. Oh, and there would probably be enough left over to offer scholarships and education on a scale never before imagined to a class of people who most impacted by the side-effects of the drug culture, and thus remove them from the downward spiral of persistent poverty.

One of the reasons so many businesses fail is because so many business men and women continue to sink resouces into practices that dont work. I think that laws work a lot like that too.

-dorian

15. Rick Day says:

Well…um, thanks for the baack up, but Eric. I never meant to claim that Nevada or Holland still had sex slave issues.

Again as long as there is a black market there will be those who supply the demand.

And again, you have failed to address how current laws have done anything but allow the illegal sex trade to flourish.

Look, I understand that you are talking as a candidate for office in a cracker town, and have to be careful what position he takes, especially in writing. That does not nullify the fact you support the status quo that allows this activity to be profitable.

Do you, sir, have a viable solution to offer? If so, let us hear it. I’ve got nothing better than conservative principles to apply solutions.

16. liberator says:

Amen Dorian. Saying all prostitution leads to sex slavery is like saying all mortage loans lead to mortage fraud. It ain’t so! As You say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Prohibition failed miserably with booze,it has failed miserably with the war on the american people falsely labeled as the war on drugs and of course it has failed miserably with the insane war on the sex care provider industry.

17. Erick says:

Well, first, while I’m opposed to the legalization of prostitution, I’m not saying that prostitution leads to slavery.

I am saying that there is a profile of businesses engaged in human sex trafficking. There are businesses in Macon that fit that profile. Should we do nothing?

Now, your first reaction may be, “Yes, we should legalize prostitution.” That’s fine, but I doubt that’s going to happen. So, assuming it is not going to happen, what should we do about human sex trafficking? Nothing is not a good enough answer.

18. dorian says:

I feel the same way about flying. There is a profile of persons that fly that blow up planes. They are arab males. What should we do about that? Arab males continue to fly.

Now, your first reaction may be “We should make it illegal for arab males to fly’. That’s fine, but I don’t think that’s going to happen. So, assuming it is not going to happen, what should we do about the fact that arab men blow up planes? Nothing is not a good enough answer.

(This is kind of a read-between-the-lines type of post, moderately laced with sarcasm, and not intended to reflect any racism on my part.)

19. liberator says:

The answer is simple ie…enforce the laws against slavery that are already on the books,but don’t shut down an entire industry that actually helps tourism based on stereotypes. To shut down all spas based own one’s subjective views with no real evidence goes against the Constitution and that little 4th Amendment Probable Cause thang! We also don’t arrest or shut down legal businesses based on profiling. If there is evidence of slavery based on actual evidence get a search warrant based on that evidence. If there is no evidence then government should leave em alone.

20. Erick says:

I don’t think I’ve ever said we should shut them all down.

And Dorian, I think we should do a solid job inspecting those who fit the profile of one most likely to blow up a plane, just as I think we should be inspecting those businesses that fit the profile for engaging in human trafficking.

21. dorian says:

ok, erick, let’s just cut to the chase, shall we? Fortunately, I have developed what I like to call my five star plan for building a better america. I will, out of the abundance of kindness in my heart, share it with you. One, I shall be the head of our new totalitarian government in which I hold asolute power. Two, the new capital shall be moved from Washington to Key West, Florida which I shall re-dub “The Glorious Enlightened Place of Twenty-Something Topless Supermodels.” Three, the bar in all fifty states shall be abolished, and instead the UFC shall replace it as all legal disputes will be settled in the octagon. Four, we will continue to have a two-party legislature. However, instead of ‘democrats’ and ‘republicans’, it will be the ‘NFC’ and the ‘AFC’. Five, the new director of homeland security will be ‘Dog, the Bounty Hunter.” His office will be somewhere on the border between the US and mexico.

Debate over. I win!

22. Erick says:

Dorian, I think I like every part of your plan except the one where you are in charge. After all, the voters rejected you last year for Casey Cagle in the primary.

23. liberator says:

And exactly how does the gestapo inspect these businesses? Do they just barge in with no warrants or evidence of wrongdoing? This is America not Afghanistan under the Taliban,this is why we get evidence and then a warrant based on probable cause. Notice 14 0f the 17 spas invaded by the gestapo passed the inspections and no charges were made period. No evidence or charges of slavery were made at any of the 17 spas. Seems the profile doesn’t fit in Macon-Bibb County. Now let the Gestapo leave em alone!

24. Rick Day says:

I am glad we were able to close this dicyssuib with some humor and good will.

This is why I prefer this politico-blog to any other. You rock, Eric, even if we do disagree.

25. streiff says:

Erick, you are so wise not to have taken on the inalienable right to access to good dope along with the inalienable right to sexual service otherwise the libertines would really be crawling out of the woodwork.

26. Ragnar Danneskjöld says:

Jeff, just saw your comment. Thanks for you support of the the comment. I was expecting to get attacked instead of complimented so thanks.

If I were the benevolent dictator of this country would I rather direct the police to go after child molestors, terrorists, murderers and rapists that are harming others or those consenting adults who sale sex and those consumers who buy it which are harming no one but themselves… hmmm….

Which would be a better use of your tax dollaring? You decide.

27. Nicki says:

I linked this discussion over at my place.

Anyway, what this boils down to is that several of you guys assert that this is a victimless crime, when another set of us assert that it is not. Finito.

28. Ragnar Danneskjöld says:

Nicki, there may be victims in the act of prostitution, but the participants choose that life. It is not for you or me to decide whether they have the right to be prostitutes or not. They choose to participate in a dispicable line of work; it is there problem, not ours.

And once again, why should prostitution be a crime? It is a transaction between 2 (or more I guess) consenting adults.

However, as I said before, if slavery is involved that is a completely different issue all together which I commented on yesterday.

But, maybe the government should just decide what line of work each of us are in. And maybe they should decide what sexual acts consenting adults can partake in, when their sexual act is harming no one but themselves. That may be best. Come on…

29. Nicki says:

Ragnar, my issue isn’t with prostitution, per se. It’s with the aggregate issues of prostitution.

I’m generally fine with sex work as long as it’s regulated in a way that benefits the public safety and quality of life and the participants have the ability to give consent. But it rarely is and they rarely do.

Furthermore, sex work encompasses a wide variety of practices which range in how they affect the environment and the participants. In my opinion, we have a compelling public interest in preventing the kind of behavior that accompanies sex work, and we have a compelling interest in protecting those who are engaged in it, and protecting the public from the issues associated with it.

My local issue is one of street prostitution, and I would argue that street prostitution should remain illegal. Other practices = other situations.

30. dorian says:

I wish the libertarians would crawl out of the woodwork steriff. America, and Georgia, would be much better places. Of course, I completely understand why some folks are perfectly content to have a benevolent government dictate what rights they can and can’t enjoy. I suppose it is easy to mock things like drugs and prostitution. After all, who in their right mind would defend anyone’s right to smoke dope and use prostitutes. I am equally as offended by disco. Moreover, I feel disco should be illegal. I understand that disco doesn’t exactly hurt anyone, but you could argue that it has it’s roots in drug culture. Also, I am baptist and dancing offends me terribly. The solution, I think, is for all of us to make a list of conduct which we find reprehensible and ban all of that too. We could include things like: all tv (especially FoxNews), Video Games, all movies except “G” movies, any news that portrays the government in a less than favorable light, popcorn shrimp, and Tab. How’s that sound, comrade?

31. liberator says:

The Nikki should be for legalizing prostittution as that would certainly curtail street prostitution and put it in safe environments like Brothels,Spas,and Hotels.

32. liberator says:

Dorian has nailed it again. It is unfortunate that we have folks like Ned Dominick who hate Liberty and True Freedom! He is a disgrace who reminds one of the Taliban. I could see him going around homes to search for tell tale signs of sex outside of marriage. Fortunately Dominick’s views are now in the minority!

33. Nicki says:

Nicki is a liberal libertarian, actually (take note, whoever called me a lefty a while back), so Nicki favors legalizing most things. Including all drugs with any medical value. But that’s not the original argument, which was: prostitution should be legal and therefore why prosecute anyone for it?

I don’t think we have that choice because a well-regulate sex industry is totally different than a grey market system which relies upon illegality to exist. And the grey market whorehouses that I am primarily engaged in trying to address traffick in underaged girls, sell crack, are involved in a varity of theft and violence, and create an environment in which any woman in the vicinity is harassed and at risk. Others, as have been documented, traffick in women who were imported for the purpose. and in most cases the women in question are basically indentured, a practice that is supposedly illegal.

34. dorian says:

Who asked “prostitution should be legal and therefore why prosecute anyone for it?” I didna ask that. Did lib? Did eric? Ragnar? My position was that it should be regulated and taxed (how very libertarian of me). Hopefully, we could use the revenues to buy every legislature a mallet. A big mallet. I think I could get Richardson on board to pass a rule demanding representatives carry mallets around the capital when they are in session. The lt. gov., then being afraid of the speaker running amok with a big friggin mallet, would thus have to arm the senate as well. Webcasts of mallet fights in the legislature would be very entertaining, and ultimately, more productive than this past session.

35. liberator says:

The street prostitutes are the problem not the spas which are safe,clean,and behind closed doors. Crack down on the street hookers who are a nuisance,leave the spas alone as they are no problem whatsoever as Chief Burns has stated many times. I wouldn’t look for more spa raids anytime soon. Nobody can claim to be a Libertarian and support keeping prostitution illegal. Anybody who does isn’t a true Libertarian.

36. Jason Pye says:

For the most part I agree with the libertarian argument presented here…but let’s stop with the “I’m more libertarian than you” crap before it gets started. That stuff pisses me off because all it does is drive people away from the movement.

37. liberator says:

On the other hand those who claim to be Libertarians and support anti-libertarian principles confuse the public and water down the LP message of Liberty. This should equally piss Libertarians off.

38. Jason Pye says:

So…because a libertarian focuses more on economic liberty, as opposed to issues like say, the war on drugs or the legalization of prostitution, that means they “water down the LP message of Liberty.”

If you are directing your comments at me…then just say it. Don’t beat around the bush.

39. Nicki says:

Correction: street prostitutes are not the problem. Street prostitution is a problem.

But I’m not convinced that other types of prostitution are without the same aggregate problems, and I don’t see what’s libertarian about choosing not to address issues that reduce women’s access to freedom.

40. Jason Pye says:

What we are saying is that two individuals that engage in consensual sexual acts should not be illegal, even if money is involved.

We believe that individuals have a right to do what they want, as long as they do not infringe on the rights of another individual (the harm principle). It is a matter of personal choice and individual liberty. Clearly sex slavery infringes on the rights of an individual because of the act of force.

41. Nicki says:

We don’t disagree on that point, Jason, and I am familiar with libertarian principles. My point is that most of the women engaged in prostitution are not free to make those choices. A small portion do, and they should not be prosecuted given that the whole sex for money business meets certain standards. But it is false to proclaim that prostitution is consensual when the person engaged in it is coerced or otherwise making choices at the end of a sword, so to speak.

42. Jason Pye says:

I never made that claim. If there is coercion involved, then it is not consensual…which goes back to the harm principle. Coercion means that rights are being violated.

43. dorian says:

Nicki, there isn’t any possible way you could know what portion of women choose to be prostitutes over what portion is coerced. The logic is easy enough to follow. Some portion are diretly forced into it. Another,much larger portion, is forced into by economic pressure. Well golly, why don”t we just redistribute wealth and make everyone equal. That will get rid of the problem.

It is easy to sit in a middle-to-upper class home and watch some HBO special on street prostitutes and think “my God, what a terrible thing that is.” Know something? It is a terrible thing.

Most of us, though, in our typical middle class hypocrasy would never deal with these people on a personal level. We just sit back in abstract condescension ‘poo pooing’, because we are so much better than they are. You want to truly stop someone from your version of ‘coerced’ prostitution? Give them hope. Let me know when you figure out a way to legislate that.

44. liberator says:

Jason Libertarians are free to focus on whatever issues are most important to them. I stress both personal freedom and economic issues as both are extremely important to me. I have fought to kill property tax hikes and reduce non essential spending for decades. If economic issues are You’re main focus I’m with You. However I feel both personal and economic issues are vital to a free society. Prostititution BTW is an issue involving both economic and personal freedom.

45. liberator says:

Legalizing prostitution would of course give women access to more freedom not reduce access to freedom! Duh! Of course as Libertarians we oppose the use of force so obviously if there is proof of sexual slavery we would support enforcement of laws already on the books against those involved in the sex slave trade. Of course as we see in the Spa raids no charges or evidence of Slavery was made by the police.

46. Nicki says:

Along the same lines, dorian, you have no idea what I do or do not do to address prostitution. Or where I live, or what I know of the situation. Suffice it to say that I am in close proximity to street prostitution daily and I have a fair amount of involvement in agencies that attempt to address issues relating to the poor, which includes a fair number of prostitutes. I’ve also been working with my local legislators to figure out ways to address our street prostitution in a long-term, meaningful way rather than the traditional nuisance arrest manner.

Anyway, my original issue is with the argument that prostitution should be legal and therefore there is no justification for raiding the spas or otherwise interfering with prostitution in general. I disagree because it is fairly evident that a lot of people involved in sex work in Georgia have been coerced. As I mentioned, the closest crack house/prostitution hub to my house has in it several underaged girls, one of whom was brought there BY HER MOTHER. Yeah, she’s making a free choice. Nobody’s being harmed. And whatever. In another of my volunteer roles I serve a young lady who has just come to the attention of the authorities. She is 13. She has been sexually abused all her life by a variety of people and has rarely attended school, instead earning money for various relatives through a whole slew of illegal activities, none of which she’s personally inclined toward. Yep, free choice. No harm.

Furthermore, prostitution is not harmless because it impacts people beyond those involved in the transaction as noted — this varies according to the type of prostitution, but is true of many. Therefore it is a public health issue, a quality of life issue, an educational issue — basically an all-pervasive issue.

Anyway, legalizing prostitution with some limitations is fine with me, as I noted above. But that is not the same thing as calling for existing laws not to be enforced. Most notably, the aggregate issues of prostitution won’t change by simply decriminalizing it.

47. dorian says:

Wow! Very well said. Of course, you are correct. I don’t know you, and I am very glad to stand corrected on my earlier comments.

48. liberator says:

Actaully legalizing it would dramatically curtail street prostitution where the major problems like stds and sex slavery are. The fact it may indirectly impact others is no rationale for keeping it illegal. Eating fatty foods and not exercising lead to obesity which impacts others indirectly. But do we want the nanny state to outlaw fast food businesses? I don’t think so.

49. Nicki says:

Liberator, you’re still missing my point. “Legalizing it” is fine if it means “making it legal and addressing the aggregate isues.” It’s bullshit if it means “merely not enforcing laws against prostitution.”

50. liberator says:

Legalizing means making it legal so obviously if something is legal there are no laws to enforce! Last time I checked You only enforced laws against illegal activity although a police chief has to prioritize and Chief Burns has and will continue to make raiding spas a low priority on the totem pole as well he should.

51. liberator says:

Also go to http://www.macon.com and under opinion click on letters to the editor and read a great letter by Troy Tarpley adressing this issue from the Libertarian perspective. Troy straightened out our local Ayatollah Ned Dominick.