Norton, R.I.P.

This is sad, but given the conditions from which they came and from which Atlanta rescued them, it’s not that surprising.

Norton, the largest whale shark at the Georgia Aquarium, was euthanized Wednesday morning, the second whale shark to die at the facility this year.

A team of specialists ended the ailing whale shark’s life before sunrise. Workers reported that the 23-foot-long fish sank to the bottom of Ocean Voyager, the aquarium’s largest display, about 3 a.m.

1. SpaceyG says:

Gee, I wonder… should Bernie put these kind of creatures in the middle of metro Atlanta merely to facilitate amusing people from other states and to increase traffic to ludicrous proportions? I think not.

2. rugby_fan says:

I’m starting to think we have some sort of intrinsic problem with the aquarium, either the staff or the size of the aquarium.

The last thing I am is a marine biologist though, so I am not sure what my opinion is worth.

3. stephaniemills21 says:

Erick, what do you mean by: “given the conditions from which they came and from…”

Cause the whale sharks were not saved from anything, I think you might be thinking of the belugas.

4. Mike Hauncho says:

The whale sharks were brought over from either Japan or Taiwan (I cant remember which) where they were captured and were going to be eaten as they are a tasty treat over there. They were saved thought.

5. SpaceyG says:

Come to think about it, I think someone should free all aquatic animals in the aquarium and put ’em in the Chattahoochee — to keep that gator company.

6. Federalist says:

putting any living creature in the ‘hooch would definitely decrease its chances of survival. It is interesting that the fish sank, I thought it would float. Maybe it is not a good idea to put the world’s largest fish in a tank.

7. CobbGOPer says:

Sharks don’t float like other fish, Federalist. That’s why they have to keep moving all the time, or they’d sink to the bottom of the ocean (and perhaps to depths where the pressure would be fatal for them)…

8. patriot says:

Perhaps the Whale Sharks are just another exhibit of “involuntary slavery for the pleasure of others.”