“Remember Buck Melton!”

Back in 1999, prominent Republicans in Macon actively urged members of the GOP to stay out of the Democratic primary. As a result, Buck Melton narrowly lost to Jack Ellis. The rest is history . . . until today.

Today, Republicans across town received a letter from former state senator Susan Cable urging Republicans to not repeat the mistake of 1999. Cable and other Republicans are actively encouraging Republican voters to vote in the Democratic Primary.

The personal irony here is that I’ve had a couple of people in the past 24 hours insist that I should not be on the Executive Committee of the Republican Party in Bibb County because I’m helping several friends in the Democratic primary without Republican opponents and have also stated a preference in the Democratic mayoral primary.

How dare I think for myself! And how dare Republicans try to cross over and do anything in the best interests of the city, especially considering outside of Ward 5 there is not one Republican with a chance of getting elected.

While the Republicans are crossing over, they should consider voting for these fine candidates:

Keith Moffett in Ward 1’s city-wide post.

Larry Schlesinger in Ward 3’s city-wide post.

Miriam Paris in Ward 4’s city-wide post.

Lauren Benedict in Ward 5’s city-wide post.

As a matter of fact, all of them do oppose the risky hotel scheme City Council is currently considering.

1. Rogue109 says:

Erick: Kudos…you are spot on with your position vis-a-vis Macon elections. My former home needs a new wind of change and those you suggest are up to the challenge, regardless of party membership.

One question, though: Who is this Jack Ellis of which you speak? Don’t you mean Hakim Mansour Ellis (grin).

2. Erick says:

Liberator, first, I think the hotel is an issue. Rick has actively supported the hotel.

Second, I have never had a problem with Rick, but too many people in town who I deeply, deeply respect have told me too many stories of built up animosity toward Rick that give me pause.

I haven not seen it, but a number of people who I assumed were friends of Rick’s have been adamant that he’s not the guy we need. Though I do think if he gets back on City Council, depending on how things shape up, he’d be my choice for Council President.

3. Erick says:

Liberator, I should also add that I’ve known Keith for a while, he’s a super guy, he’s competent, plays well with others, and is more interested in doing what’s right and not what is perceived to be a particular party’s position.

4. Icarus says:

Erick,

You’ve been hanging with the Dems too long when you start to use Al Gore phrases like “risky tax/hotel scheme”.

5. MidGaDawg says:

Of course, I think a vote for Moffett is really a vote to help Hutto force a run-off (which I think he’d be likely to win) against Youmas. I could be wrong though.

6. liberator says:

Not saying anything negative about Moffett. It seems like Rick has been fiscally responsible. He is the only councilperson to vote against Tan Loans for example. Doesn’t mean he is perfect.

7. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Erick,
    Susan Cable? Wow, that’s a name I haven’t heard in quite a long time. but of course I’m not from Mid-GA. What is she doing now? I’ve always thought she should have ran for State School Super. when Schrenko left.

8. liberator says:

I got a letter from Susan urging me to support Reichert for Mayor. Is she managing his campaign?