Those Budget Numbers

Travis Fain has some great budget numbers blogging.

Still, as the AJC has reported, legislators, already wary of Gov. Sonny Perdue and his budget positions, are grumbling.

Even State Rep. Larry O’Neal, a Warner Robins tax attorney, head of the Ways and Means Committee, a brilliant numbers guy and a close friend of the governor’s, called the May numbers unusual.

“It certainly draws that question into the forefront,” he said. “I don’t see that there’s necessarily any slight of hand, but it is very, very convenient.”

Of course as Travis notes later in the post, the jump was 27.9% from May 2006, a very, very unusual jump. The month just was just 7.6% over April and sales taxes declined.

Check out Travis’s full post here.

1. Bill Simon says:

Bobby, do you want me to put you in the same camp as that knucklehead Earl Ehrhart?

Read what Graham said: “Graham said the department got about 107,000 fewer state tax returns in for the first three weeks of April this year compared to last. And the fourth week brought about 110,000 more this year compared to last.

This year, we didn’t have to file returns until APRIL 17. Which kicked the processing of returns to be in the 4th week of the month as opposed to the usual 3rd week.

2. LakeGuy says:

You know, I love seeing the same people who have been having orgasims over Sonny for the past 5 years giving him hell now. It’s just hilarious.

This situation is very simple. Sonny wanted things to work a certain way, so he could avoid returning money to the taxpayers, so he simply prayed and God made it happen for him.

3. Icarus says:

“You know, I love seeing the same people who have been having orgasims over Sonny for the past 5 years giving him hell now.”

Wow. I only got to second base…

4. Bill Simon says:

Icarus,

You forgot to give Sonny the proverbial 6-pack that all UGA grads have to give someone to get them drunk enough to sleep with you. Or, maybe you just missed school that day it was covered?

5. God says:

Lake Guy – I did not make anything happen for George Ervin Perdue. Whatever happens is of his own creation.

6. Federalist says:

I remember that $100,000 that the state did not get because Larry created a retroactive tax cut exclusively for Guv. Sunshine. Doesn’t that bother anybody…or has your attention been diverted. Sonny changed the channel, and changed your minds.

7. IndyInjun says:

The numbers suggest that a move toward a sales tax to fund everything might not be advisable.

Richardson and Flemming take note.

8. Holly says:

My dad went there. My younger brother is in the Tech program at Georgia Southern.

I went to UGA. So did my dad’s brother. You can imagine what the Saturday after Thanksgiving is like in our family, ha ha.