Rand Knight announces for U.S. Senate

It turns out that the rumor that I reported back on May 11th was true.

Dr. Rand Knight offically announced his campaign for United States Senate as a Democratic candidate from the great State of Georgia today.

The campaign has also launched the Knight for Senate Website. At the Knight for Senate Website you can read Why Rand Knight is running for the U.S. Senate, read Rand Knight’s Biography, sign up to receive email campaign news updates and sign up to volunteer for the campaign. The website address is www.KnightForSenate.com

“I am running for the United States Senate in Georgia because I want to help ensure that the brightest days for Georgia and the best days for Democracy in America lie ahead of us,” Knight said. “I want to make certain that a quality of life equal or better to our own is available to future generations, and I want to make sure that my children and grandchildren have a quality of life that constantly reminds them of the great potential for their kids’ future.”

[NOTE]: Cross-posted at Georgia Politics Unfiltered

1. RuralDem says:

Good question Demonbeck. Everyone on one of the other blogs has fallen in love with the guy, and we don’t even know who he is.

2. Skeptical says:

If you’ve to any Democratic function within the last two months RuralDem, he’s been there working the hell out of the rooms.

In the beginning, those who need to know him already do.

3. Holly says:

I haven’t been to any of those events, so I’m still fascinated. They’re finding people out of the woodwork for this primary!

I’m still curious to see if Saxby gets a primary challenger.

4. RuralDem says:

Skeptical,

Apparently he skipped the JJ. He’s yet to appear in Columbus, Macon, or anywhere else in middle/south GA. Please enlighten us as to what events he’s appeared at and why so many Democrats have never even heard of the guy?

Just because YOU have heard of him does not mean the rest of us have.

5. Skeptical says:

He was at the JJ. I spoke to him there. Introduced him to my group.

He’s been at many, many events, including things for the YDs all around the metro/OTP area.

And he’ll be at the Rally for the People event, as well as an event in Newton County next week – neither in metro Atlanta.

Just because you haven’t heard of him doesn’t mean the rest of us aren’t on the ball.

6. Since like 99.9% of the voting population doesn’t go to political functions and I would say 98.9% of the check-writing population doesn’t either I’m not sure he “knows all the right people.”

I’m sure he knows “some” or even “many” of the right people but I know of quite a few “people” (such as myself) who’d never heard of the guy until today.

7. RuralDem says:

Skeptical,

Has he been outside of the Metro area? Rural support will be key to winning.

8. Samuel says:

K-12 for young Master Knight was in Atlanta’s exclusive Westminster School ($16,820 tuition per year) and then his undergraduate degree was earned in Middlebury, Vermont and his two graduate degrees were earned in Seattle, Washington…..

This boy’s only 35 years old and he claims to be “steeped in southern history and Georgia tradition”….

He damn sure aint like no Georgian who’s about to vote Democrat!

9. Tommy_a2b says:

Wow an environmental super nerd. We should all tremble in fear. I bet he comes in 4th in the Dem Primary.

BTW is there now only 3 Dems in that race or am I missing someone?

10. RuralDem says:

Tommy,

AEKDB bro 🙂

Yeah there’s 3 democrats in now.

Dale Cardwell
    Vernon Jones
    Rand Knight

11. John Galt says:

Holly,

You hit on the only salient point here. Unless Saxby has a legit primary challenger, Saxby handily wins reelection.

A word of advice to Democrats – Focus on the 2010 Gubernatorial race, where you actually have a shot.

12. Know Nothing says:

Yeah, this most definitely doesn’t change anything. Saxby still wins, probably big.

13. atlantaman says:

I just looked at his website. Whenever I hear the euphemism “undocumented workers” it’s a major red flag.

It may not be a bad strategy since Jones and Cardwell are trying to run to the right of Saxby on immigration, Knight could pick up the knee-jerk liberals in the primary.

14. Federalist says:

undocumented workers is the correct terminology. Illegal immigrant is a rhetorical catchphrase.

15. rightofcenter says:

I just read the guy’s webpage, and my first comment is, “Wow”. As in, “wow, what an ego.” First of all, to call yourself a doctor (as in phd, not md) in a political campaign takes a lot of hubris. Secondly, his basic premise is that the current Republicans are so stupid and we need a genius like him to straighten out the mess. Nevermind that he has no qualifications or achievements whatsoever that deem him ready for the job. He’s smarter than everybody else, though, so we need him.

Fourth out of three seems about right.