Ethics is no joke

This morning, my ethics complaint against Fulton County Commissioner William “Bill” Edwards hit the press. Here’s what Commissioner Edwards told the Atlanta Story:

Edwards consider the allegation “a joke.” “There is nothing wrong with that [flyer], as an elected official, I can make any comment I want.” “Citizen files ethics complaint against Fulton Commissioner”

I agree. Edwards can make any comment he wants, but when an elected official uses public funds to disseminate his personal opinion to the public, that’s just wrong.

I’m glad Commissioner Edwards considers ethics a laughing matter, because I most certainly don’t.

1. shrike071 says:

2. SpaceyG says:

Well, I’d hardly call The Story “the press”, much as I like Dominique, but good for you Andre for demanding accountability in that kinda way.

3. atlantaman says:

“Well done, Andre. If everyone held the politician’s feet to the fire, I think there’d be a lot less shenanigans in government.”

I think if you develop a situtation where politicians are afraid to do anything and spend more time discussing obscure ethics rules versus governing, you’ll scare a lot of good folks away.

When you think about all the sacrifice involved, being an elected official is basically a volunteer job (in many cases it is).

Instead of high-fiving each other because you’re holding Edwards to higher standard for finding a few debatable sentences on a website that few read – why don’t you call Edwards up and see where you can volunteer to improve Fulton County.

4. AlanR says:

Atlantaman:

“If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen”.

If Edwards can’t play by the rules or objects to the public’s right to know he can go back to doing whatever else it is that he does. There are plenty, plenty, of fine people in Fulton County and District 7 who can do just as well at the job. And maybe it should be someone else’s turn.

Unless of course Edwards huge ego can’t bear the thought of not being a big deal. He’s run for just about everything, hasn’t he? (serioius question, my memory is failing me, but I think he’s run for stuff in the past.)

And he is paid. Does anyone know if he has another business?

Andre has every right to file and any elected official who can’t be bothered to respect the public’s right to know should think about retiring.

5. Trackboy1 says:

What does it say about the Democratic Party of Georgia when they allow a absolute scumbag of a man like Bill Edwards run roughshod over Fulton Co. for years?

If the fed’s ever looked into Bill Edwards’ dealings, he’d be in trouble.

Sometimes a political party needs to say, ya’ know what, we disown you, we just don’t need you to represent this party (i.e. Charles Walker, Mitch Skandalakis, etc.) And Bill Edwards, Nancy Boxill and Emma Darnell flamed racial divide like no other elected officials in the last 20 years during the Sandy Springs debacle. All of their predicted gloom & doom was a lie. But the hate still lingers (i.e. John Eaves ad).

Speaking of Mitch, didn’t know he was so buddy buddy with Ralph Reed back in the day:

Skandalakis was re-elected to a full term in 1994, running as a moderate Republican and openly courting gay voters. In 1998, he hired former Christian Coalition executive director Ralph Reed as his campaign manager and ran for Lieutenant Governor of Georgia as a right wing conservative. Reed appeared in advertisements for Skandalakis vouching for his social conservatism and personal integrity.
    Skandalakis placed first among five candidates in the Republican primary, then defeated conservative State Senator Clint Day, scion of the Days Inn motel family in a bitterly contested primary run-off. Although successful with Reed’s help in winning the Republican primary, Skandalakis’s strategy of negative campaigning backfired in the general election. He lost in a landslide to the Democratic candidate, State Senator Mark Taylor, who had served as Governor Zell Miller’s floor leader.
    Skandalakis and Reed were widely blamed for the defeat that year of Republican candidates for Governor and Attorney General. Reed, who had months earlier appeared in advertisements vouching for Skandalakis’s integrity, immediately began distancing himself from Skandalakis, who settled a libel suit filed by Taylor over the truthfulness of his television advertisements.
    Skandalakis subsequently pled guilty to lying to federal investigators in a public corruption investigation. He was sentenced to a six month prison term, effectively ending his political career. An attorney by profession, Skandalakis was disbarred from the practice of law by the Supreme Court of Georgia.

6. Federalist says:

If public funds are being used, doesn’t the flyer/mailer need to be reviewed and approved by a committee before dissemination in GA? I know federal office requires it, and I remember when I lived in Florida that was required as well…but has Ga just realized these types of abuses?

7. AlanR says:

Andre:

Edwards is arrogant enough to have printed this at public expense. Consider an open records request targeted at requisitions/invoices etc. Think about how to frame it. If you can narrow the time frame, and use the right administrative jargon it probably won’t be expensive. Be sure and use not to exceed language in the request.

With all due respect for the Ethics Commission, they always appeared to me to be the “not really interested in ethics investigations commission. “